Problems with R8500 + Athlon?

G

I've seen references to the Radeon 8500 having problems running stably with AMD Athlon systems but no hard details. Can anyone enlighten me? Are there still problems (if there ever were) or have ATI's newly tweaked drivers made up for all that?

"Toto, I think we're not in Kansas anymore...."

G

it's not really a problem with AMD's, it's more of a motherboard, previous video card, BIOS, driver, operating system problem.
if you get the right (or wrong i should say) combination, things don't work right.
at Rage3D.com, they have a running post of people who have systems with no Radeon8500 problems (to squelch those nasty anti-ATI rumours) and they are 95% AMD setups.

if you use quality parts, you will have quality results

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have look on my mother board Fourm and they all had problem with Radeon. So I went for GF3 ti 500. $250 What this tells you Read up on your mother board and such. Chaintech seems to run well with the Radeon. MSI seems to mess up on Radeon. And last Fact AMD is not the problem its mostly Wrong type of mother boards. With wrong type of video card.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
actually if there is any chance for problems it lies in the chipset of the motherboard, the motherboards bios, or the drivers for the video card. I'm sure ATI wouldn't release a video card based on poor hardware, with time the Radeon 8500 will get even better than it currently is.
Check what chipset the Chaintech mobo is running and check the MSI too, if its running the same north bridge check the south bridge that might be where the problem lies. If your talking the Chaintech AMD761 and MSI AMD761 based boards I know for a fact the Chaintech uses a different south bridge because I got to play with this motherboard for about a day before I killed it on an accidental bad bios flash. For the most part though you shouldn't have to many problems with an 8500, I personally wouldn't buy one until I knew for sure there were stable drivers for the operating systems I would use (windows 98se, 2kpro, and XP pro)