Copy one file to many folders

August 25, 2005 4:31:04 PM

I am a teacher and I am needing to copy the same file to many student
folders. Can any one please tell me how it is done? I have selected all the
folders and right clicked, only to get the file in one folder. I have also
selcted all the folders clicked Edit and Paste, getting the file in the
parent folder. Please if there is a way to do this it would save me lots of
time.

Thanks for any help!!!

More about : copy file folders

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:48:46 PM

"A Teaching Fool" <A Teaching Fool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:BFEC2AD5-7F87-4759-A2B3-81BB5746559C@microsoft.com...
>I am a teacher and I am needing to copy the same file to many student
> folders. Can any one please tell me how it is done? I have selected all
> the
> folders and right clicked, only to get the file in one folder. I have
> also
> selcted all the folders clicked Edit and Paste, getting the file in the
> parent folder. Please if there is a way to do this it would save me lots
> of
> time.
>
> Thanks for any help!!!

If they all have email accounts, put them all in your address book and
select those to send a file attachment.
In Windows explorer directory tree, right click on the file you want to copy
and select copy. Then right click on each directory where you want it and
select paste. You can multiple paste to each directory if you don't do
something else to wipe the clipboard. Just right click, paste, right click
paste down the list of student directories.
Finally you can right a batch file in note pad using the copy command and
typing in the source and destination lines for each directory.
You can use find/replace to change the file to copy in the batch file.
Writing it the first time will take a few minutes of time. Name it
mycopy.bat When you click on it (or double click depending on how you are
configured) it will do it in a flash.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 10:19:03 AM

The batch file is a good idea and it would take a long time to write and I
would have to re-write it every semester because the folder names would all
change. I liked the idea about e-mail but i can't send them all the test
file. What I am hoping to do is find a simple way to copy one file to at
least 24 folders at one time. Everything I have tried so far copies one file
to one folder at a time.

So maybe the batch file would be the way to go. I'll give it a try until
something better comes my way.

Thanks

"Nog" wrote:

> "A Teaching Fool" <A Teaching Fool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:BFEC2AD5-7F87-4759-A2B3-81BB5746559C@microsoft.com...
> >I am a teacher and I am needing to copy the same file to many student
> > folders. Can any one please tell me how it is done? I have selected all
> > the
> > folders and right clicked, only to get the file in one folder. I have
> > also
> > selcted all the folders clicked Edit and Paste, getting the file in the
> > parent folder. Please if there is a way to do this it would save me lots
> > of
> > time.
> >
> > Thanks for any help!!!
>
> If they all have email accounts, put them all in your address book and
> select those to send a file attachment.
> In Windows explorer directory tree, right click on the file you want to copy
> and select copy. Then right click on each directory where you want it and
> select paste. You can multiple paste to each directory if you don't do
> something else to wipe the clipboard. Just right click, paste, right click
> paste down the list of student directories.
> Finally you can right a batch file in note pad using the copy command and
> typing in the source and destination lines for each directory.
> You can use find/replace to change the file to copy in the batch file.
> Writing it the first time will take a few minutes of time. Name it
> mycopy.bat When you click on it (or double click depending on how you are
> configured) it will do it in a flash.

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:58:11 PM

A Teaching Fool wrote:
> I am a teacher and I am needing to copy the same file to
> many student folders. Can any one please tell me how it is
> done? I have selected all the folders and right clicked,
> only to get the file in one folder. I have also selcted all
> the folders clicked Edit and Paste, getting the file in the
> parent folder. Please if there is a way to do this it would
> save me lots of time.
>
> Thanks for any help!!!

Microsoft has a beta version of a program available that will
do what you're asking. It's available here:

SyncToy v1 Beta for Windows XP

Now for the details:

1. It's a beta program. That means it's still being tested and
is not fully supported by Microsoft. Translation, if you have
problems, you're on your own.

2. Note the System Requirements.

3. Initially, you'd need to set up what are called "Folder
Pairs" for the source folder and each student's folder. It's a
process whereby you associate a distribution folder with each
student's folder. Once you set this up you can update all
"Folder Pairs" at the same time.

4. Make sure you use the Contribute action in order to copy
files from the source folder to the student's folder. That
process does not delete any files that are already stored in
the student's folder.

5. I'd strongly recommend becoming familiar with how this
program works before using it to update the student's folders.
Create some test folders and files and see how it works out.
The biggest danger is that you would use the wrong action to
update the student folders. Contribute is the action you want
to use because it doesn't delete anything that's already in the
student's folder.

6. As always, you should have reliable backups in place in case
anything goes wrong.

Good luck

Nepatsfan
!