Automatic update not working

Greetings all.

The Automatic Update icon appears (in yellow) in my taskbar but always
indicates 0%.

I've tried updating from the Microsoft update website directly. It
checks for updates required, comes up with a grey window saying
downloading Installer version whatever and then nothing happens as
well.

Am I missing something? I turned off Windows Firewall, disabled all
protection in Spywareblaster. Still nothing.

I also have Spybot Search & Destroy, AdAware, CWShredder and ZoneAlarm
on my PC but ZoneAlarm is not active.

Grisoft AVG anti-virus 7.0.338 is also installed and running but
shouldn't give a problem??

I my part of the world we pay for local calls so watching a
non-responsive screen is rather costly. Please tell me what I'm doing
wrong!!

Daniél Palm
Disability is not inability
8 answers Last reply
More about automatic update working

    Disable the Dialup Internet Accelerator if you are using one. JJ

    "Daniél Palm" <pdp@lando.co.za> wrote in message
    > Greetings all.
    >
    > The Automatic Update icon appears (in yellow) in my taskbar but always
    > indicates 0%.
    >
    > I've tried updating from the Microsoft update website directly. It
    > checks for updates required, comes up with a grey window saying
    > downloading Installer version whatever and then nothing happens as
    > well.
    >
    > Am I missing something? I turned off Windows Firewall, disabled all
    > protection in Spywareblaster. Still nothing.
    >
    > I also have Spybot Search & Destroy, AdAware, CWShredder and ZoneAlarm
    > on my PC but ZoneAlarm is not active.
    >
    > Grisoft AVG anti-virus 7.0.338 is also installed and running but
    > shouldn't give a problem??
    >
    > I my part of the world we pay for local calls so watching a
    > non-responsive screen is rather costly. Please tell me what I'm doing
    > wrong!!
    >
    > Daniél Palm
    > Disability is not inability
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsupdate (More info?)

    Hello Daniel,

    Do not turn off your firewall while on the internet. That's a general rule.
    Only if the firewall software is the "last problem issue", then, either
    "tweak it" to place some microsoft sites on the "white list", or last
    resort, turn it off.
    Your AVG should not be a blocking factor at Windows Update.
    But do turn off those other utilities when the pc visits Windows Update
    (interactive mode, that is).

    I am forwarding your post to Windows Update group.

    You DO need to look at your update log.
    See if there is an "Error" for the date(s) when you had this problem.
    It will have an entry (entries) with Error that would help to pin-down your
    pc's problem with Windows Update.

    Use Notepad or Wordpad and open & look at the Windows Update log file
    C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log or C:\WINNT\WindowsUpdate.log

    Scroll down all the way. Do you see some text with "Error 0xnnnnnnn"
    (where n's are some numbers).
    Please post back with that Error number and its text.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > Greetings all.
    >
    > The Automatic Update icon appears (in yellow) in my taskbar but always
    > indicates 0%.
    >
    > I've tried updating from the Microsoft update website directly. It
    > checks for updates required, comes up with a grey window saying
    > downloading Installer version whatever and then nothing happens as
    > well.
    >
    > Am I missing something? I turned off Windows Firewall, disabled all
    > protection in Spywareblaster. Still nothing.
    >
    > I also have Spybot Search & Destroy, AdAware, CWShredder and ZoneAlarm
    > on my PC but ZoneAlarm is not active.
    >
    > Grisoft AVG anti-virus 7.0.338 is also installed and running but
    > shouldn't give a problem??
    >
    > I my part of the world we pay for local calls so watching a
    > non-responsive screen is rather costly. Please tell me what I'm doing
    > wrong!!
    >
    > Daniél Palm
    > Disability is not inability

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:35:05 -0500, "Maurice N ~ MVP"
    <maurice@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hello Daniel,
    >
    >Do not turn off your firewall while on the internet.

    OK

    snip

    >Your AVG should not be a blocking factor at Windows Update.
    >But do turn off those other utilities when the pc visits Windows Update
    >(interactive mode, that is).

    OK

    >I am forwarding your post to Windows Update group.

    Thanks

    >You DO need to look at your update log.
    >See if there is an "Error" for the date(s) when you had this problem.
    >It will have an entry (entries) with Error that would help to pin-down your
    >pc's problem with Windows Update.
    >
    >Use Notepad or Wordpad and open & look at the Windows Update log file
    >C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log or C:\WINNT\WindowsUpdate.log
    >
    >Scroll down all the way. Do you see some text with "Error 0xnnnnnnn"
    >(where n's are some numbers).
    >Please post back with that Error number and its text.

    The log file is quite large as I tried several times to download,
    waited and waited then disconnected my dial-up connection, tried again
    and again and so on.

    Anyway, found an 'error' line, before it is the following:

    2005-08-24 07:55:03+0200 844 420 Required Version for
    binary C:\WINDOWS\system32\cdm.dll is: 5,8,0,2469

    then a lot of lines stating which dll's required then:

    2005-08-24 08:00:04+0200 844 420 Send failed with hr =
    80072ee7.

    then

    2005-08-24 08:00:04+0200 844 420 DownloadFileInternal
    failed for
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v6/windowsupdate/b/SelfUpdate/AU/x86/XP/en/wuaueng1.cab:
    error 0x80072efe

    then

    2005-08-24 08:00:04+0200 844 420 DownloadRequiredCabs
    failed with error 0x80072efe

    then the following which could be useful

    2005-08-24 08:00:04+0200 844 420 OS Version =
    5.1.2600.2.0.65792
    Computer Brand = P4VM8
    Computer Model = P4VM8
    Bios Revision = P1.10
    Bios Name = Default System BIOS
    Bios Release Date = 2005-04-27T00:00:00
    Locale ID = 1033

    etc.

    then

    Trying to make out of proc datastore active
    Out of proc datastore is now active
    PT: Using serverID {9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}
    PT: Using server URL
    https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ClientWebService/client.asmx
    PT: Calling GetConfig on server
    Add header for accept-encoding: xpress succeeded
    Send failed with hr = 80072ee7
    SendRequest failed with hr = 80072ee7. Proxy List used: <(null)>
    Bypass List used : <(null)>
    GetConfig: 0x8024402c
    PT: Cannot recover from fault, origin=GetConfig, hr=0x8024402c
    Sync of Updates: 0x8024402c
    WU client failed Searching for update with error 0x8024402c
    Search Callback Failed, hr is 0x8024402c
    Setting next AU detection timeout to 2005-08-24 11:00:06

    etc etc etc

    then

    Failed to upload events with hr = 8024000c.

    With my luck (which is atrocious) the 'WU client failed' error above
    is probably when I disconnected.

    The entries above are from the first error line I encountered, about
    half-way down the log file. There could be more.

    I did notice something interesting afterwards though. When I turned
    off my PC afterwards the system first installed something. Pity it
    didn't say what. There was only one item and I recall that there
    should have been 3 items downloaded according to the Windows download
    dialog earlier. I think the hang-up was during the download of Windows
    Installer, version 3.1 if I recall correctly.

    Unfortunately the relevant Windows pages in my IE History have expired
    (probably set like that with a META tag or something) and I can't get
    back to see what the 3 items to be downloaded were.

    The 'Preparing to download' progress bar on the Windows website stayed
    blank all the time, so I didn't have a clue if something was happening
    or not.

    Thanks for the help.

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:05:06 -0700, "JJ" <nadanadanada@nada.com>
    wrote:

    >Disable the Dialup Internet Accelerator if you are using one. JJ

    Didn't know there's something like that so I'm probably not using it.

    <maurice@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hello Daniel,

    snip

    Shortly after posting my earlier reply to your post I clicked on the
    automatic update icon in the taskbar and the next thing I know it's
    installing Installer Version 3.1 and I get the 'You have successfully
    updated your computer . . .Restart now' window.

    Aaaaaaargh!!!

    So it seems that 2 (at least) of the three items to be updated
    originally listed by the MS update site are possibly/probably
    installed properly now. I'm not really sure at all.

    Is there anywhere in XP that I can check what has been updated or
    installed by the update process??

    I'll go back to the Windows Update site tonight (South African time,
    that'll be tomorrow daytime your time I suppose) as our phone calls
    are cheaper after 7pm to check if there's still something else not
    updated yet.

    Thanks.

    http://www.lando.co.za/pdp

    >--
    >Maurice N
    >MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Do re-visit Windows Update again, and while there, look at left-hand option
    to View Install (update) history.

    For the 0x80072EE7 error
    This is the "short link" to suggested resolution(s) from Windows Update
    Troubleshooter:
    http://tinyurl.com/dzlyl

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    > Shortly after posting my earlier reply to your post I clicked on the
    > automatic update icon in the taskbar and the next thing I know it's
    > installing Installer Version 3.1 and I get the 'You have successfully
    > updated your computer . . .Restart now' window.
    >
    > Aaaaaaargh!!!
    >
    > So it seems that 2 (at least) of the three items to be updated
    > originally listed by the MS update site are possibly/probably
    > installed properly now. I'm not really sure at all.
    >
    > Is there anywhere in XP that I can check what has been updated or
    > installed by the update process??
    >
    > I'll go back to the Windows Update site tonight (South African time,
    > that'll be tomorrow daytime your time I suppose) as our phone calls
    > are cheaper after 7pm to check if there's still something else not
    > updated yet.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Daniél Palm
    > Disability is not inability
    > http://www.lando.co.za/pdp

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:35:05 -0500, "Maurice N ~ MVP"
    <maurice@mvps.org> wrote:

    snip

    Hi Maurice.

    As I said I'll do in a previous post I went back to the Windows Update
    site.

    This time it downloaded and installed 'Windows Genuine Advantage
    Validation Tool', the downloading progress bar was there, the kb's
    downloaded were showing and the 'Installing' progress bar also worked
    fine.

    I assume this was the third item of the three originally to be
    downloaded.

    The 'Review Installation Results' page also came up with 'The software
    upgrade is complete' so everything seems to have worked.

    At last!!!

    It still stumps me why it didn't go smoothly like this during the
    first few attempts but, as with my car, as long as it works I'm happy!

    Thanks for the help.

    Daniél Palm
    Disability is not inability

    Very good. YW

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Daniél Palm wrote:

    > Hi Maurice.
    >
    > As I said I'll do in a previous post I went back to the Windows Update
    > site.
    >
    > This time it downloaded and installed 'Windows Genuine Advantage
    > Validation Tool', the downloading progress bar was there, the kb's
    > downloaded were showing and the 'Installing' progress bar also worked
    > fine.
    >
    > I assume this was the third item of the three originally to be
    > downloaded.
    >
    > The 'Review Installation Results' page also came up with 'The software
    > upgrade is complete' so everything seems to have worked.
    >
    > At last!!!
    >
    > It still stumps me why it didn't go smoothly like this during the
    > first few attempts but, as with my car, as long as it works I'm happy!
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > Daniél Palm
    > Disability is not inability

Microsoft Windows XP