Installing XP on a new hard drive.

I recently bought a new hard drive. I want to load windows xp onto this
drive, however, the last time I installed a hard drive(Western Digital 120GB)
however after I copied the files from my previous hard drive onto the 120gb
windows wouldn't load. As we speak the 120gb is my secondary hard drive
holding my movie, music, and misc. files. I guess my question is how do I
put windows xp on the new hard drive so that it will actually boot up. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

1st of all a copy does nothing
You actually need to start the install procedure by starting your computer
with the XP CD in place and have the Cd drive as the 1st boot device in the
Bios.You can place the new drive on IDE #1 as slave or master your choice.If
you have placed as slave be aware that XP will place its actual boot files
on the Master drive during the install.I would suggest installing as
Master...less confusion.
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
peterk

kkc7979 Wrote:
> I recently bought a new hard drive. I want to load windows xp onto this
> drive, however, the last time I installed a hard drive(Western Digital
> 120GB)
> however after I copied the files from my previous hard drive onto the
> 120gb
> windows wouldn't load. As we speak the 120gb is my secondary hard
> drive
> holding my movie, music, and misc. files. I guess my question is how
> do I
> put windows xp on the new hard drive so that it will actually boot up.
> Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.

What you can do is do a Clean Install on the drive you just bought.

--
Evolution54

Not true! You can "copy" the previous install onto the new drive and even
get it to boot up. You can not use the standard "copy" or "xcopy" command.
You need an enhanced utility which would "clone" your hard drive. Usually
most hard drive manufacturers provide such a utility (CD or on their web
site). Or you can look at Norton Ghost.

"peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
> 1st of all a copy does nothing
> You actually need to start the install procedure by starting your computer
> with the XP CD in place and have the Cd drive as the 1st boot device in
> the Bios.You can place the new drive on IDE #1 as slave or master your
> choice.If you have placed as slave be aware that XP will place its actual
> boot files on the Master drive during the install.I would suggest
> installing as Master...less confusion.
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
> peterk
>
> --
> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> "kkc7979" <kkc7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I recently bought a new hard drive. I want to load windows xp onto this
>> drive, however, the last time I installed a hard drive(Western Digital
>> 120GB)
>> however after I copied the files from my previous hard drive onto the
>> 120gb
>> windows wouldn't load. As we speak the 120gb is my secondary hard drive
>> holding my movie, music, and misc. files. I guess my question is how do
>> put windows xp on the new hard drive so that it will actually boot up.
>> Any
>> help would be greatly appreciated.

Notice you said "copy"........while you actually mean clone...........
When I said copy I meant exactly that copy............not clone.
Other than that your perfectly right.

I copy a file...........I clone a patition/hard drive
peterk