WinXP dual boot install to separate HD breaks Win2k

I have an Abit AN7 system with integrated SATA controller. C: drive
with the Win2kSP4 installation is a SATA drive. I added an IDE drive
and installed Win2K on it originally in a dual boot configuration. That
worked well until this second installation became corrupt. I installed
WinXP to this second drive, selecting the delete partition and quick
format options. Afterwards, the C:boot.ini shows both the original
Win2k and the new WinXP boot options and WinXP boots and operates fine
on drive D:, but now the Win2k bootup reports, "Windows 2000 could not
start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM". This occurs immediately after
selecting that boot option, not after the horizontal progress bar
appears like when this file is really corrupt. Replacing the reg hives
from a backup set doesn't change anything either. This appears to be a
boot file problem rather than a registry problem. It appears the WinXP
install overwrote the Win2K ntldr and ntdetect.com files on C: drive, as
it's supposed to (dates and filesize match the CD files). I'm not sure
what else gets overwritten. I'm at a loss. Ideas?

Scott
2 answers Last reply
More about winxp dual boot install separate breaks win2k

    I suppose I should also mention that the WinXP CD is a slipstreamed SP2
    disk, i.e. WinXPSP2.

    Rebus wrote:
    > I have an Abit AN7 system with integrated SATA controller. C: drive
    > with the Win2kSP4 installation is a SATA drive. I added an IDE drive
    > and installed Win2K on it originally in a dual boot configuration. That
    > worked well until this second installation became corrupt. I installed
    > WinXP to this second drive, selecting the delete partition and quick
    > format options. Afterwards, the C:boot.ini shows both the original
    > Win2k and the new WinXP boot options and WinXP boots and operates fine
    > on drive D:, but now the Win2k bootup reports, "Windows 2000 could not
    > start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    > \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM". This occurs immediately after
    > selecting that boot option, not after the horizontal progress bar
    > appears like when this file is really corrupt. Replacing the reg hives
    > from a backup set doesn't change anything either. This appears to be a
    > boot file problem rather than a registry problem. It appears the WinXP
    > install overwrote the Win2K ntldr and ntdetect.com files on C: drive, as
    > it's supposed to (dates and filesize match the CD files). I'm not sure
    > what else gets overwritten. I'm at a loss. Ideas?
    >
    > Scott

    You have install win2k first, then install winxp

    "Rebus" <snoga@excite.com> wrote in message
    >I have an Abit AN7 system with integrated SATA controller. C: drive with
    >the Win2kSP4 installation is a SATA drive. I added an IDE drive and
    >installed Win2K on it originally in a dual boot configuration. That worked
    >well until this second installation became corrupt. I installed WinXP to
    >this second drive, selecting the delete partition and quick format options.
    >Afterwards, the C:boot.ini shows both the original Win2k and the new WinXP
    >boot options and WinXP boots and operates fine on drive D:, but now the
    >Win2k bootup reports, "Windows 2000 could not start because the following
    >file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM". This occurs
    >immediately after selecting that boot option, not after the horizontal
    >progress bar appears like when this file is really corrupt. Replacing the
    >reg hives from a backup set doesn't change anything either. This appears
    >to be a boot file problem rather than a registry problem. It appears the
    >WinXP install overwrote the Win2K ntldr and ntdetect.com files on C: drive,
    >as it's supposed to (dates and filesize match the CD files). I'm not sure
    >what else gets overwritten. I'm at a loss. Ideas?
    >
    > Scott

Dual Boot Windows XP