WinXP dual boot install to separate HD breaks Win2k

Rebus

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2003

I have an Abit AN7 system with integrated SATA controller. C: drive
with the Win2kSP4 installation is a SATA drive. I added an IDE drive
and installed Win2K on it originally in a dual boot configuration. That
worked well until this second installation became corrupt. I installed
WinXP to this second drive, selecting the delete partition and quick
format options. Afterwards, the C:boot.ini shows both the original
Win2k and the new WinXP boot options and WinXP boots and operates fine
on drive D:, but now the Win2k bootup reports, "Windows 2000 could not
start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM". This occurs immediately after
selecting that boot option, not after the horizontal progress bar
appears like when this file is really corrupt. Replacing the reg hives
from a backup set doesn't change anything either. This appears to be a
boot file problem rather than a registry problem. It appears the WinXP
install overwrote the Win2K ntldr and ntdetect.com files on C: drive, as
it's supposed to (dates and filesize match the CD files). I'm not sure
what else gets overwritten. I'm at a loss. Ideas?

Scott

Rebus

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2003

I suppose I should also mention that the WinXP CD is a slipstreamed SP2
disk, i.e. WinXPSP2.

Rebus wrote:
> I have an Abit AN7 system with integrated SATA controller. C: drive
> with the Win2kSP4 installation is a SATA drive. I added an IDE drive
> and installed Win2K on it originally in a dual boot configuration. That
> worked well until this second installation became corrupt. I installed
> WinXP to this second drive, selecting the delete partition and quick
> format options. Afterwards, the C:boot.ini shows both the original
> Win2k and the new WinXP boot options and WinXP boots and operates fine
> on drive D:, but now the Win2k bootup reports, "Windows 2000 could not
> start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
> \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM". This occurs immediately after
> selecting that boot option, not after the horizontal progress bar
> appears like when this file is really corrupt. Replacing the reg hives
> from a backup set doesn't change anything either. This appears to be a
> boot file problem rather than a registry problem. It appears the WinXP
> install overwrote the Win2K ntldr and ntdetect.com files on C: drive, as
> it's supposed to (dates and filesize match the CD files). I'm not sure
> what else gets overwritten. I'm at a loss. Ideas?
>
> Scott

You have install win2k first, then install winxp