Q: Force connection to particular base station?

Hi all,

I have kind of a wierd problem. I have to periodically connect to a
wireless lan which was set up with multiple base stations having the
same SSID. The trouble is they are not symmetric and I have to attach
to a particular one for certain purposes. The problem is that, 9
times out of 10, I get connected to the wrong one even though I select
the correct station (by its BSSID) from the network list.

I have complained about the situation, but I have little hope that it
will be resolved soon - nobody else seems to be affected. My only
solution has been to pick up everything and physically move closer to
the correct station when I need to access it. It only happens a
couple of times a week, but I'm getting tired of it nonetheless.

My computer is running XP Home and the wireless gear is Linksys 54g.
Does anyone know a way to force the connection to a particular base
station?

Thanks,
George
Send real email to GNEUNER2 at COMCAST o NET

If the stations are overlapping,, them they must be locked to a specific channel?? just luck yours
into the channel of the station you want?? Just AWAG..

Jim
An Old Parrot Head,
In the Conch Republic,
Just South of Reality

Multiple Access Points should not be sharing an ESSID unless they all give
you access to the same network. Doing otherwise is a poor network design.
Ask the powers that be to consult with the vendor of the wireless
infrastructure. They'll back you up.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.