Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Outlook Express 6 problems

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 11:28:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I've never been able to use my Outlook Express 6 email address, and get error
reports every time I try to send any mail. I decided to try and establish an
alternate O E address, to bypass this, and , following instructions through
CPntrol panel, then Switch to Classic" view, I'm next instructed to double
click "mail" to continue. There is no "mail" icon on my control panel icons,
and tech support has been of no help. I've been informed that SBC DSL
doesn't like Outlook Express, and don't know if this is the source of my
original problem, but wish someone could offer advice of some sort to get my
Outlook Express functioning and usable. Any suggestions out there?
--
zluke
August 26, 2005 11:46:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In news:A4B221A1-D132-4B15-82C0-4F4F7C85DB72@microsoft.com,
zacklucas <zacklucas@dicussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> I've never been able to use my Outlook Express 6 email address, and
> get error reports every time I try to send any mail. I decided to
> try and establish an alternate O E address, to bypass this, and ,
> following instructions through CPntrol panel, then Switch to Classic"
> view, I'm next instructed to double click "mail" to continue. There
> is no "mail" icon on my control panel icons, and tech support has
> been of no help. I've been informed that SBC DSL doesn't like
> Outlook Express, and don't know if this is the source of my original
> problem, but wish someone could offer advice of some sort to get my
> Outlook Express functioning and usable. Any suggestions out there?

The mail icon is only available if you have Office Outlook installed I
think??? Anyhow, disable your Anti-virus email scanning options and double
check with the help page (I'm sure your ISP has one that will run you
through the setup process without a problem) to double check it. Finally
make sure it's not being blocked by your firewall. If it's the XP firewall
then that's unlikely to be blocking it but if you're running something like
Norton Internet Security then that's got a firewall as well as most other
security "suites" have these days. For more information consult the help
files of those specific programs that you have installed in that capacity.

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:33:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

--
zluke


"Galen" wrote:

> In news:A4B221A1-D132-4B15-82C0-4F4F7C85DB72@microsoft.com,
> zacklucas <zacklucas@dicussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
>
> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
>
> > I've never been able to use my Outlook Express 6 email address, and
> > get error reports every time I try to send any mail. I decided to
> > try and establish an alternate O E address, to bypass this, and ,
> > following instructions through CPntrol panel, then Switch to Classic"
> > view, I'm next instructed to double click "mail" to continue. There
> > is no "mail" icon on my control panel icons, and tech support has
> > been of no help. I've been informed that SBC DSL doesn't like
> > Outlook Express, and don't know if this is the source of my original
> > problem, but wish someone could offer advice of some sort to get my
> > Outlook Express functioning and usable. Any suggestions out there?
>
> The mail icon is only available if you have Office Outlook installed I
> think??? Anyhow, disable your Anti-virus email scanning options and double
> check with the help page (I'm sure your ISP has one that will run you
> through the setup process without a problem) to double check it. Finally
> make sure it's not being blocked by your firewall. If it's the XP firewall
> then that's unlikely to be blocking it but if you're running something like
> Norton Internet Security then that's got a firewall as well as most other
> security "suites" have these days. For more information consult the help
> files of those specific programs that you have installed in that capacity.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
> its solution is its own reward."
>
> Sherlock Holmes
> Thanks, I'll try using your advice....Zluke. Liked the quote.
>
>
Related resources
August 26, 2005 5:12:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

zacklucas wrote:
> I've never been able to use my Outlook Express 6 email address,

What exactly do you mean by this?


> and get error reports every time I try to send any mail. I decided to try and establish an
> alternate O E address, to bypass this, and , following instructions

What "instructions"?


> through CPntrol panel, then Switch to Classic" view, I'm next instructed to double
> click "mail" to continue.

Not for OE you don't - who told you to do that?


> There is no "mail" icon on my control panel icons,
> and tech support has been of no help. I've been informed that SBC DSL
> doesn't like Outlook Express,

Rubbish - again, who told you that? You can use ANY email client you
like on ANY interbnet connection, as long as it supports the type of
email you use (POP, MAPI etc etc). They may not /support/ OE but that's
a completely different thing.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:12:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

--
zluke


"Gordon" wrote:

> zacklucas wrote:
> > I've never been able to use my Outlook Express 6 email address,
>
> What exactly do you mean by this?
> I mean that I set up my O.E. account the first day that I got my PC, last November, installing it per instructions by Windows XP, and all seemed OK. I set up my user name and PW, and then even managed to successfully send one email to a friend. When I attempted to repeat this the next day, I was informed that I could not send an email, due to a particular error message, which I didn't understand. After literally hours on the telephone with Dell and SBC DSL tech support people, from levels 1 to 3 tech people, I still had not navigated thru the pblm, and became exasperated. Then, I set up email through MSN, and SBC, and, as that worked, I left O.E. alone, but periodically tried tinkering (in ignorance) with trying to send email, always getting the same result. So 2 days ago, I decided to try attempting to set up an alternate email address up using O.E., by going to the help section and viewing O.E.'s instructions, and this is where I got the advice to go thru Control Panel,
then set for Classic View, then double click "mail", and then continue more cookbook instructions, that seem easy enough, but am repeatedly stymied at Classic View of my CPanel not exhibiting an icon for "mail". This is what I mean. Thanks for your response. The site of those instructions is http://support.microsoft.com- How to create a new email profile in Outlook 2003.
>
> > and get error reports every time I try to send any mail. I decided to try and establish an
> > alternate O E address, to bypass this, and , following instructions
>
> What "instructions"?
>
>
> > through CPntrol panel, then Switch to Classic" view, I'm next instructed to double
> > click "mail" to continue.
>
> Not for OE you don't - who told you to do that?
>
>
> > There is no "mail" icon on my control panel icons,
> > and tech support has been of no help. I've been informed that SBC DSL
> > doesn't like Outlook Express,
>
> Rubbish - again, who told you that? You can use ANY email client you
> like on ANY interbnet connection, as long as it supports the type of
> email you use (POP, MAPI etc etc). They may not /support/ OE but that's
> a completely different thing.
>
>
>
>
!