Address Book for All Users Points to the Same wab file

August 25, 2005 11:36:04 PM

Just got a new computer to replace my failed one, and I'm having problems
with the Address Book and, as a result, Outlook Express.

When creating additional user accounts via User Accounts on the Control
Panel(Administrator or Limited types), Windows XP does not seem to create an
address book unique to the new user. Instead, all accounts are pointing to
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Address
Book\Administrator.wab ... and I can't seem to get the address book to point
anywhere else (this file is read-only for all users except the administrator).

With my previous computer, Windows XP always created separate *.wab files
within each user account's section of Documents and Settings ... yet my new
computer's Windows XP is forcing everyone to the same wab file (and it isn't
accessible unless a user has administrator privileges).

Something seems wrong here ... how do I create separate address books - or
separated wab files within the user's read/write section of Documents and
Settings? Do I have a setting messed up somewhere?
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 6:37:40 PM

You seem to be logging on as Administrator.

%homepath% is an environment variable that is the path to the user's home
directory. I.e C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here

To see...
Start | Run | Type or paste this in the box and click OK...

%homepath%

I'll bet a nickel that %homepath% will bring up
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator

If you are correctly creating new accounts, it sounds like you are not
logging on into those accounts.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:472641F5-0EBA-41CE-B580-BE8BD80C60D3@microsoft.com,
OrangeRev <OrangeRev@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Just got a new computer to replace my failed one, and I'm having problems
> with the Address Book and, as a result, Outlook Express.
>
> When creating additional user accounts via User Accounts on the Control
> Panel(Administrator or Limited types), Windows XP does not seem to create
> an address book unique to the new user. Instead, all accounts are
> pointing to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Address Book\Administrator.wab ... and I can't seem to
> get the address book to point anywhere else (this file is read-only for
> all users except the administrator).
>
> With my previous computer, Windows XP always created separate *.wab files
> within each user account's section of Documents and Settings ... yet my
> new computer's Windows XP is forcing everyone to the same wab file (and
> it isn't accessible unless a user has administrator privileges).
>
> Something seems wrong here ... how do I create separate address books - or
> separated wab files within the user's read/write section of Documents and
> Settings? Do I have a setting messed up somewhere?
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 6:37:41 PM

The %homepath% is displaying correctly ... I think this has something to do
with user creation. Whenever a user - ANY USER - is created, the registry
entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4\Wab File Name

is populated with

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Address
Book\Administrator.wab

But, it is my understanding that this should be

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Address
Book\%username%.wab

Right? How does Windows XP define this variable during user creation?

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> You seem to be logging on as Administrator.
>
> %homepath% is an environment variable that is the path to the user's home
> directory. I.e C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here
>
> To see...
> Start | Run | Type or paste this in the box and click OK...
>
> %homepath%
>
> I'll bet a nickel that %homepath% will bring up
> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator
>
> If you are correctly creating new accounts, it sounds like you are not
> logging on into those accounts.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:472641F5-0EBA-41CE-B580-BE8BD80C60D3@microsoft.com,
> OrangeRev <OrangeRev@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Just got a new computer to replace my failed one, and I'm having problems
> > with the Address Book and, as a result, Outlook Express.
> >
> > When creating additional user accounts via User Accounts on the Control
> > Panel(Administrator or Limited types), Windows XP does not seem to create
> > an address book unique to the new user. Instead, all accounts are
> > pointing to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
> > Data\Microsoft\Address Book\Administrator.wab ... and I can't seem to
> > get the address book to point anywhere else (this file is read-only for
> > all users except the administrator).
> >
> > With my previous computer, Windows XP always created separate *.wab files
> > within each user account's section of Documents and Settings ... yet my
> > new computer's Windows XP is forcing everyone to the same wab file (and
> > it isn't accessible unless a user has administrator privileges).
> >
> > Something seems wrong here ... how do I create separate address books - or
> > separated wab files within the user's read/write section of Documents and
> > Settings? Do I have a setting messed up somewhere?

August 28, 2005 1:54:01 PM

I have this exact same problem. Can someone tell me how to fix this (in
simple terms, I'm not a computer expert!).

thanks

"OrangeRev" wrote:

> The %homepath% is displaying correctly ... I think this has something to do
> with user creation. Whenever a user - ANY USER - is created, the registry
> entry:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4\Wab File Name
>
> is populated with
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Address
> Book\Administrator.wab
>
> But, it is my understanding that this should be
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Address
> Book\%username%.wab
>
> Right? How does Windows XP define this variable during user creation?
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
> > You seem to be logging on as Administrator.
> >
> > %homepath% is an environment variable that is the path to the user's home
> > directory. I.e C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here
> >
> > To see...
> > Start | Run | Type or paste this in the box and click OK...
> >
> > %homepath%
> >
> > I'll bet a nickel that %homepath% will bring up
> > C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator
> >
> > If you are correctly creating new accounts, it sounds like you are not
> > logging on into those accounts.
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >
> > Wes
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > In news:472641F5-0EBA-41CE-B580-BE8BD80C60D3@microsoft.com,
> > OrangeRev <OrangeRev@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > > Just got a new computer to replace my failed one, and I'm having problems
> > > with the Address Book and, as a result, Outlook Express.
> > >
> > > When creating additional user accounts via User Accounts on the Control
> > > Panel(Administrator or Limited types), Windows XP does not seem to create
> > > an address book unique to the new user. Instead, all accounts are
> > > pointing to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
> > > Data\Microsoft\Address Book\Administrator.wab ... and I can't seem to
> > > get the address book to point anywhere else (this file is read-only for
> > > all users except the administrator).
> > >
> > > With my previous computer, Windows XP always created separate *.wab files
> > > within each user account's section of Documents and Settings ... yet my
> > > new computer's Windows XP is forcing everyone to the same wab file (and
> > > it isn't accessible unless a user has administrator privileges).
> > >
> > > Something seems wrong here ... how do I create separate address books - or
> > > separated wab files within the user's read/write section of Documents and
> > > Settings? Do I have a setting messed up somewhere?

Anonymous
August 28, 2005 4:21:02 PM

El,

I haven't found a sophisticated way to correct the problem (I believe there
is some configuration mistake that HP has made with my HP a1120n), but I did
find a way to make it work. This approach will involve an edit of the
Registry, but using a tool so that you don't have to manually go in and
change things.

I simply followed the instructions in the blue box for downloading and
editing the
"change_wab_path.vb~" script from this location:
http://www.insideoe.tomsterdam.com/tips/morewabs.htm.

MAKE SURE THAT YOU DOWNLOAD THE VB FILE - DON'T EXECUTE IT! Execute it only
after you have edited the file using something like NotePad or WordPad.

Anyway, this worked for me.

For example, (1) I created a user named "Bob". (2) Then I logged in as
Bob. (3) Then I opened the VB script using NotePad and set up my path the
WAB file as

wabpath = "C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\Application Data\Microsoft\Address
Book\Bob.wab"

[Notice the two instances of Bob]

(4) Then I saved the vb script (5) Then I executed the vb script to
create the proper address book location.

Outlook Express and the Address book now work properly for user 'Bob'.

Again, this is like putting duct tape on the problem, but it worked.

Hope this helps ... it worked for me.

"El Penguini" wrote:

> I have this exact same problem. Can someone tell me how to fix this (in
> simple terms, I'm not a computer expert!).
>
> thanks
>

> "OrangeRev" wrote:
>
> > The %homepath% is displaying correctly ... I think this has something to do
> > with user creation. Whenever a user - ANY USER - is created, the registry
> > entry:
> >
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4\Wab File Name
> >
> > is populated with
> >
> > C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Address
> > Book\Administrator.wab
> >
> > But, it is my understanding that this should be
> >
> > C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Address
> > Book\%username%.wab
> >
> > Right? How does Windows XP define this variable during user creation?
> >

> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> > > You seem to be logging on as Administrator.
> > >
> > > %homepath% is an environment variable that is the path to the user's home
> > > directory. I.e C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here
> > >
> > > To see...
> > > Start | Run | Type or paste this in the box and click OK...
> > >
> > > %homepath%
> > >
> > > I'll bet a nickel that %homepath% will bring up
> > > C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator
> > >
> > > If you are correctly creating new accounts, it sounds like you are not
> > > logging on into those accounts.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> > >
> > > Wes
> > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> > >
> > > In news:472641F5-0EBA-41CE-B580-BE8BD80C60D3@microsoft.com,
> > > OrangeRev <OrangeRev@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 2:34:04 PM

El,

I have some updated information that might provide a better way to solve
this problem. I discovered, based upon the way that HP was configuring XP
(I'm assuming this is only HP, but it may be all XP) that there was a problem
with the file

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Address
Book\Administrator.wab

Specifically, this file is either corrupted or it is the source of all
problems. Please note, that this may contain all of your address books for
you as an administrator, so you may want to back it up and restore it to its
correct folder. Here are the novice steps needed to correct this problem:

1. Log off your computer.
2. Log in as Administrator account.
3. Right-click on Start button and then click on Explore.
4. Click on Tools menu and then click on Folder options.
5. Click on View menu.
6. Click on Show hidden files and folders. Click on Ok button.
7. Navigate to the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
Data\Microsoft\Address Book\

8. Right-click on Administrator.wab and then click on Rename. Type
Administrator.wabold and press ENTER key.

9. [you may want to rename the backup administrator file to
Administrator.wab~ file to Administrator.wab ... I didn't do this step]
10. Restart your computer. Once restarted, Outlook Express will create a
new .WAB file. In my case this appeared under the HP_administrator name.

That's all that is needed for me. As a result, whenever a new user is
created now on my machine, they will have their own address book in the
correct location.

!