Radeon 8500 - Dual monitors in WinXP - How?

G

Last night I attempted to get a second monitor running off my Radeon 8500. I attached this monitor to the ????? plug (whatever it's called. I think it's for flat panel displays) via the supplied adapter.

When I started up the machine all went well. I watched the XP bootup on both monitors, however, when it got to Windows the second monitor went black. The orange light, on.

I went to Display Properties/Setting. In there I right clicked on the greyed out second monitor and selected Activate. When I clicked on Apply, my primary monitor switch off for a second and then came back on. The second monitor did not react at all and the Display Properties/Settings had the Second monitor greyed out again.

I then tried to activate it again and then selected the checkbox 'Expand my desktop to both monitors' and clicked Apply. Same again. Primary monitor blacks out for a second and the secondary monitor does nothing.

The bits...
17' Sony Trinitron E220
15' Sony Trinitron SF16
Radeon 8500
Athlon 1600+
Windows XP Professional
etc
etc

How can I get the dual display option working?

Thanks.

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yep, I have the same problem. The second monitor only displays an image during boot up. But in windows, nothing I have tried has got anything to appear on it.

Does any here have an answer to this question?

<font color=purple><b>Brad</b></font color=purple>

palexc

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2001
Don't quote me, but I though MS removed dual monitor support from XP, meaning even if your video card can do it, the OS doesn't give a crap. Contact ATI on the issue, maybe there's a driver in the works.

G

MS removed dual monitor support from XP?????

That really does 'suck'.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Nope, I have three friends running dual monitors and WinXP.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

Arrrr.. That is encouraging. Now only if one of them could come here and explain how they got it to work, I would be mighty grateful.