User Account help

August 26, 2005 3:54:16 AM

I want to set up my user accounts to use control + alt + delete to log on to
prevent trojans from ruining my computer. I use a virus scanner daily, but
still got one when my grand daughter uses MSN and Yahoo to chat with her
friends. I read how to set this use in the user accounts but i don't have
the tab there to set this up. The help files said something about the
networks settings. So how do i get this to work to prevent getting trojans?
I am getting real tired of having to reinstall everything all the time.

Thanks for any help,

Maxine

More about : user account

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 4:34:02 AM

Well I'd have to say that will probably have little effect on trojans running
but if you want to try it, its in the control panel under user accounts. You
may been to be logged in under your Administrator account in order to make
the change, but its just a box you check and then it should be like that.

Also Im not sure how much you know about virus's but just using a scanner
once a day is not a effective way to stop them. You need to have real time
protection that is always running. You can go to www.grisoft.com and download
avg free which is a good free antivirus, if you dont want to have to buy one.

"Maxine" wrote:

> I want to set up my user accounts to use control + alt + delete to log on to
> prevent trojans from ruining my computer. I use a virus scanner daily, but
> still got one when my grand daughter uses MSN and Yahoo to chat with her
> friends. I read how to set this use in the user accounts but i don't have
> the tab there to set this up. The help files said something about the
> networks settings. So how do i get this to work to prevent getting trojans?
> I am getting real tired of having to reinstall everything all the time.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Maxine

August 26, 2005 5:06:16 PM

darklink wrote:
> Well I'd have to say that will probably have little effect on trojans running
> but if you want to try it, its in the control panel under user accounts.

Not Ctl-Alt-DEl it isn't. That is enabled by running gpedit.msc - which
Home Edition doesn't have.
Related resources
August 26, 2005 5:08:15 PM

Maxine wrote:
> I want to set up my user accounts to use control + alt + delete to log on to
> prevent trojans from ruining my computer.

Well Ctl-Alt-Del will NOT stop trojans running on your machine - only a
firewall will do that.

What you are wanting to do can be enabled through running gpedit.msc -
but if you have Home Edition then that function isn't there I'm afraid.
the Ctl-Alt-Del function was designed really for machines joining a
Domain which Home Edition cannot.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:08:16 PM

In the help section; it states using control+alt+delete will prevent trojans
from controlling your computer. Where abouts do i find this in the
gpedit.msc section?

Thank you,
Maxine

"Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> Maxine wrote:
>> I want to set up my user accounts to use control + alt + delete to log on
>> to prevent trojans from ruining my computer.
>
> Well Ctl-Alt-Del will NOT stop trojans running on your machine - only a
> firewall will do that.
>
> What you are wanting to do can be enabled through running gpedit.msc - but
> if you have Home Edition then that function isn't there I'm afraid. the
> Ctl-Alt-Del function was designed really for machines joining a Domain
> which Home Edition cannot.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 11:18:03 PM

Computer Security Sites

Grisofts AVG anti virus
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

1. ZoneAlarm Security Suite (latest version 6.0.631.003)
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

2. PopUpCop
http://www.popupcop.com/

3. Ad-Aware SE Professional ver 1.06
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

4. SpyBot Search and Destroy 1.04

5. Microsoft Anti Spyware beta ver 1.0.615

peterk

"Maxine" <krankymax@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 6AoArjqFHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> In the help section; it states using control+alt+delete will prevent
> trojans from controlling your computer. Where abouts do i find this in the
> gpedit.msc section?
>
> Thank you,
> Maxine
>

> "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>> Maxine wrote:
>>> I want to set up my user accounts to use control + alt + delete to log
>>> on to prevent trojans from ruining my computer.
>>
>> Well Ctl-Alt-Del will NOT stop trojans running on your machine - only a
>> firewall will do that.
>>
>> What you are wanting to do can be enabled through running gpedit.msc -
>> but if you have Home Edition then that function isn't there I'm afraid.
>> the Ctl-Alt-Del function was designed really for machines joining a
>> Domain which Home Edition cannot.

August 30, 2005 1:13:00 PM

"Maxine" <krankymax@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 6AoArjqFHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl
> In the help section; it states using control+alt+delete will prevent
> trojans from controlling your computer. Where abouts do i find this
> in the gpedit.msc section?

Sorry for being so tardy in replying to this, I won't be able to help you
until I get home this evening - my work computer is XP Home (!) and so
doesn't have gpedit.msc and I can't remember off the top of my head where it
is, but I have Pro at home (!)
!