User Account help

I want to set up my user accounts to use control + alt + delete to log on to
prevent trojans from ruining my computer. I use a virus scanner daily, but
still got one when my grand daughter uses MSN and Yahoo to chat with her
friends. I read how to set this use in the user accounts but i don't have
the tab there to set this up. The help files said something about the
networks settings. So how do i get this to work to prevent getting trojans?
I am getting real tired of having to reinstall everything all the time.

Thanks for any help,

Maxine
6 answers Last reply
More about user account help

    Well I'd have to say that will probably have little effect on trojans running
    but if you want to try it, its in the control panel under user accounts. You
    may been to be logged in under your Administrator account in order to make
    the change, but its just a box you check and then it should be like that.

    Also Im not sure how much you know about virus's but just using a scanner
    once a day is not a effective way to stop them. You need to have real time
    protection that is always running. You can go to www.grisoft.com and download
    avg free which is a good free antivirus, if you dont want to have to buy one.

    darklink wrote:
    > Well I'd have to say that will probably have little effect on trojans running
    > but if you want to try it, its in the control panel under user accounts.

    Not Ctl-Alt-DEl it isn't. That is enabled by running gpedit.msc - which
    Home Edition doesn't have.

    Maxine wrote:
    > I want to set up my user accounts to use control + alt + delete to log on to
    > prevent trojans from ruining my computer.

    Well Ctl-Alt-Del will NOT stop trojans running on your machine - only a
    firewall will do that.

    What you are wanting to do can be enabled through running gpedit.msc -
    but if you have Home Edition then that function isn't there I'm afraid.
    the Ctl-Alt-Del function was designed really for machines joining a
    Domain which Home Edition cannot.

    In the help section; it states using control+alt+delete will prevent trojans
    from controlling your computer. Where abouts do i find this in the
    gpedit.msc section?

    Thank you,
    Maxine

    "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > Maxine wrote:
    >> I want to set up my user accounts to use control + alt + delete to log on
    >> to prevent trojans from ruining my computer.
    >
    > Well Ctl-Alt-Del will NOT stop trojans running on your machine - only a
    > firewall will do that.
    >
    > What you are wanting to do can be enabled through running gpedit.msc - but
    > if you have Home Edition then that function isn't there I'm afraid. the
    > Ctl-Alt-Del function was designed really for machines joining a Domain
    > which Home Edition cannot.

    Computer Security Sites

    Grisofts AVG anti virus
    http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

    1. ZoneAlarm Security Suite (latest version 6.0.631.003)
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

    2. PopUpCop
    http://www.popupcop.com/

    3. Ad-Aware SE Professional ver 1.06
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    4. SpyBot Search and Destroy 1.04

    5. Microsoft Anti Spyware beta ver 1.0.615
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

    peterk

    "Maxine" <krankymax@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In the help section; it states using control+alt+delete will prevent
    > trojans from controlling your computer. Where abouts do i find this in the
    > gpedit.msc section?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Maxine
    >

    > "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Maxine wrote:
    >>> I want to set up my user accounts to use control + alt + delete to log
    >>> on to prevent trojans from ruining my computer.
    >>
    >> Well Ctl-Alt-Del will NOT stop trojans running on your machine - only a
    >> firewall will do that.
    >>
    >> What you are wanting to do can be enabled through running gpedit.msc -
    >> but if you have Home Edition then that function isn't there I'm afraid.
    >> the Ctl-Alt-Del function was designed really for machines joining a
    >> Domain which Home Edition cannot.

    "Maxine" <krankymax@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In the help section; it states using control+alt+delete will prevent
    > trojans from controlling your computer. Where abouts do i find this
    > in the gpedit.msc section?

    Sorry for being so tardy in replying to this, I won't be able to help you
    until I get home this evening - my work computer is XP Home (!) and so
    doesn't have gpedit.msc and I can't remember off the top of my head where it
    is, but I have Pro at home (!)

User Accounts Windows XP