Serious Problem- Win Xp will not boot at all

I am having a serious problem with my Windows XP Pro SP2 computer. It will
not boot into windows at all. When I turn on the computer on, the splash
screen comes up, and it does its usual 2 beeps, and then it displays the
screen with the various boot options. [safe mode, last known good config
etc.] I have tried them all, the same thing happens every time. The Windows
XP logo comes up and the its little blue loading bar cycles about 6 times
before it all disappears, flashes a message that is visible for about 1/10 of
a second, and then restarts. I used a camera to see what this message is, and
this is pretty much what it says:

“A problem has been detected and windows had been shutdown to prevent damage
to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this error restart. If this screen
appears again follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup
utilities, check your Hard Drive Configuration, and check for any [updated]
drivers. Run [CHKDISK /S] to check for hard drive corruption and then restart
your computer.”

Before I go any further I should say that something like this happened about
2 years ago on this computer. That time it was a “boot volume unbootable”
message and after calling my PC company they said the hard drive had died so
I got a new one and reinstalled everything and I haven’t had a fatal problem
ever since. However I should mention that I am a gamer and I have replaced a
few parts recently, about a month ago, I put in a new PSU, and got new RAM
because my computer was restarting randomly and performance in games was
poor. About the same time I also got a new SATA harddrive and did a clean
install of winxp on it, mainly because I needed the room.

Everything has been ok since I installed that new hardware until about an
hour or so before Windows XP stopped booting. I was playing a newly installed
game that is very graphically demanding and my computer randomly restarted
about 10 times within 1 hour while I was playing this. After 1 of those
restarts windows did not boot and this bring me to where I am today.

I realize that things do not look so good and I will may have to reinstall
windows xp again and maybe even get a new hard drive if this one is shot as
well.

That said, I really want to figure out what is causing this problem. I think
that it seems likely it’s a hardware problem but I’m unsure where I should
look. Having just spent a bit of $$$ on a new PSU, RAM, and hard drive [which
are all 1 month old] I have trouble believing any of them are at fault.
To date the only things I have not replaced in my computer are the Mother
Board and CPU, do I guess its possible they are to blame?

At any rate I want to apologize for make this post so long, I just want to
try and get to the bottom of this, and any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Well first you will need to shutoff the option to reboot on system crash, It
should be one of the options you get along with safe mode ext....I can't
remember the exact wording but it should be self explanatory, Once this
option is off you will be able to see the blue screen of death you are
getting and read the error for more research.
--
Information Services Manager

"darklink" wrote:

> I am having a serious problem with my Windows XP Pro SP2 computer. It will
> not boot into windows at all. When I turn on the computer on, the splash
> screen comes up, and it does its usual 2 beeps, and then it displays the
> screen with the various boot options. [safe mode, last known good config
> etc.] I have tried them all, the same thing happens every time. The Windows
> XP logo comes up and the its little blue loading bar cycles about 6 times
> before it all disappears, flashes a message that is visible for about 1/10 of
> a second, and then restarts. I used a camera to see what this message is, and
> this is pretty much what it says:
>
> “A problem has been detected and windows had been shutdown to prevent damage
> to your computer.
>
> If this is the first time you've seen this error restart. If this screen
> appears again follow these steps:
>
> Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup
> utilities, check your Hard Drive Configuration, and check for any [updated]
> drivers. Run [CHKDISK /S] to check for hard drive corruption and then restart
> your computer.”
>
> Before I go any further I should say that something like this happened about
> 2 years ago on this computer. That time it was a “boot volume unbootable”
> message and after calling my PC company they said the hard drive had died so
> I got a new one and reinstalled everything and I haven’t had a fatal problem
> ever since. However I should mention that I am a gamer and I have replaced a
> few parts recently, about a month ago, I put in a new PSU, and got new RAM
> because my computer was restarting randomly and performance in games was
> poor. About the same time I also got a new SATA harddrive and did a clean
> install of winxp on it, mainly because I needed the room.
>
> Everything has been ok since I installed that new hardware until about an
> hour or so before Windows XP stopped booting. I was playing a newly installed
> game that is very graphically demanding and my computer randomly restarted
> about 10 times within 1 hour while I was playing this. After 1 of those
> restarts windows did not boot and this bring me to where I am today.
>
> I realize that things do not look so good and I will may have to reinstall
> windows xp again and maybe even get a new hard drive if this one is shot as
> well.
>
> That said, I really want to figure out what is causing this problem. I think
> that it seems likely it’s a hardware problem but I’m unsure where I should
> look. Having just spent a bit of $$$ on a new PSU, RAM, and hard drive [which
> are all 1 month old] I have trouble believing any of them are at fault.
> To date the only things I have not replaced in my computer are the Mother
> Board and CPU, do I guess its possible they are to blame?
>
> At any rate I want to apologize for make this post so long, I just want to
> try and get to the bottom of this, and any ideas are greatly appreciated.

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Don't worry about long posts, so long its information about the problem and
not what you had for tea. Any information may be helpful.\

I've been having the same symptoms, along with occasional lock-ups when
shutting down ans several corrupted files when running chkdsk. Sometimes the
message just flashes and sometimes it stays but its never very descriptive.
I can re-install or repair windows but the problem keep recurring either
right away or several days later. I've currently stripped my system down to
bare bones and will keep adding bits back until the problem shows up again.
However, with all the disk problems I'm begining to wonder if the HDD
problems are the cause as well as a symptom. Does this seem like this might
be the case to anyone reading this?

I've also just upgraded the processor (and MB BIOS) and added some memory,
but these don't seem to be at fault so far

Thanks for the help.

Ray

"darklink" wrote:

>stuff

Jim

"Ray" <Ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Don't worry about long posts, so long its information about the problem
> and
> not what you had for tea. Any information may be helpful.\
>
> I've been having the same symptoms, along with occasional lock-ups when
> shutting down ans several corrupted files when running chkdsk. Sometimes
> the
> message just flashes and sometimes it stays but its never very
> descriptive.
> I can re-install or repair windows but the problem keep recurring either
> right away or several days later. I've currently stripped my system down
> bare bones and will keep adding bits back until the problem shows up
> again.
> However, with all the disk problems I'm begining to wonder if the HDD
> problems are the cause as well as a symptom. Does this seem like this
> might
> be the case to anyone reading this?
>
> I've also just upgraded the processor (and MB BIOS) and added some memory,
> but these don't seem to be at fault so far

Yes, it isn't surprising that these measure don't solve a potential disk
problem. Have you checked the disk for errors?
Jim
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Ray
>
> "darklink" wrote:
>
>>stuff

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I've run chkdsk and it claims to find and repair damaged files but no
physical problems with the disk.

"Jim" wrote:

> Yes, it isn't surprising that these measure don't solve a potential disk
> problem. Have you checked the disk for errors?
> Jim

Jim,
I found it helpful to pay and run Spinrite 6 on my old harddrive. It
repaired the bad cluster and moved the data to a new area.
It gave me enough time to get some of my data off the old harddrive.
The first thing I did, when I got my new harddrive was to run Spinrite
to check the new harddrive.

Do not know if it would work for you, but I was impressed with it.
I am still learning about computers after 5 years and I am sure that the
other posters have more insight into your problem.

You might be able to have someone else make a CD of the program and run
it on your machine. It is a small footprint and uses it's own OS.
Do a google on Spinrite and read some of posts and more info about it.

I heard about this on David Lawrence's OnLine Tonight radio show.

This guy who wrote this program has been on Techtv and many other shows,
can't remember his name, but he is well know.

DonnaLynne888