Graphic Cards...Backwards Compatible?? How Far ???

dinoshan

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2001
Hi Guys,
With the hype of latest that's always on discussion,I would appreciate if I can get some info for my next graphics card.
I am using a p3 550 with savage3d 8 meg card with pc100 320meg ram and sblive soundcard.
The thing is that my mobo is SE440BX-2 Intel board which I believe is not AGP pro. What I'd like to know is whether the latest card are backwards compatible ? If yes how far?

Would a GForce 2MX card work with my mobo? Since my pc is not DDR would a card equiped with DDR RAM work on my mobo?

I thank u for your help

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
if you have an AGP slot on your mb you can put every AGP graphic cards (caution not AGP Pro graphic cards)

with all current gpu
GeForce2
GeForce3
Radeon
8500DV

no pb with gc DDR (or not) memory

you can use a gc with all memory types, you must have just an AGP slot on your mb

even AGP 4X gc which are backward compatible with an AGP 2x slot

and whatever your mb memory type

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
yes, there are 2 diff versions but just for the slot type

but i'm not sure this gc is selling without agp pro slot because geForce3 has needed good power alimentation

ok, buy nothing.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
yes, of course there are 2 diff versions because those gc hav 2 diff gpu geforce3 vs geforce

i think to light you, i hav to explain diff between agp & agp pro slot

the pro type will give just superior power for gc will need it (like for geForce3 gpu will needed good power alimentation)

but a geforce gc need less power & i think it exist in agp version, not agp pro

note:
a geForce gc is an old gpu version
if you want to buy a gc with a "minus" gpu that geforce3,
search hawk Geforce2 gpu gc
there is a lot of brand with this gpu & for any budget

ok, buy nothing.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most newer cards should work on your system. Very few cards use the AGP Pro specification. And your board has enough power to the AGP slot to power most cards. I would suggest a Radeon 8500 if you have the $200 to spend, or the Gainward GeForce2 Ti/450 if you only have around $100.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?