Is AIW RADEON region-specific?

G

Hi all,

This is my very post here and I hope to get a solution for this confusion. :lol: Is <b><font color=red>ATI AIW RADEON</font color=red></b> region-specific, and uses hardware based encoding. What I mean by that is <b><i>A AIW in US is designed to capture NTSC video alone</b></i>. (Let aside the tuner part, that is definitely for NTSC). I refer to the original AIW RADEON and not the 8500DV. Please read on.

My earlier set-up was: Soyo K7-VIA, Athlon 700, PNY PC133, Quantum 30GB, SB Live, WinMe, VIA 4-in 4.34, DirectX 8.0. With that, I could not get ATI AIW RADEON to capture PAL :frown: . <i>After two months</i> of struggle with ATI tech. support, ATI tech. support decides that this card is region specific and is not designed to capture PAL! :mad: :eek: :frown: . But, this information is not provided by ATI anywhere! :eek: But the capture software allows the user to select from several different input video formats :mad: . A global software for a region-specific card?? :frown:

I recently upgraded to EP-8KHA+, XP1600+, Kingston DDR 256MB, and wanted to test out the performance of AIW on this new mobo. I tried capturing a few samples of both NTSC and PAL video. And, it turned out that AIW can actually capture PAL :smile: :wink: .

I cannot understand why AIW did not work for PAL capture with my previous set-up? Is AIW RADEON really a region-specific card as the ATI tech. concluded?

Please provide all your opinions to settle this confusion. Thanks
DSJ<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dsj on 12/19/01 10:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
if you change your hardware except AIW Radeon & it's work with PAL, you're sure your AIW Radeon gc has PAL capability
even if it's a US card

so i think ATI's response is very suspect

i think rather you has had a software pb with your old config

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
they said that the gc capture frames in first by hardware & after the process which compress in mpeg1 & mpeg2 is software

but i think there is an error because the Rage Theater compress also in Hardware
this allow a good acquisition directly in mpeg2 in real time

you can see precise real specs in www.ati.com

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.