Problems with ATI Radeon 64MB DDRAM Vivo

dagash1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
I've had some serious trouble using ATI Radeon 64MB DDRAM Vivo cards.
For starters: when booting for the first time a system thats been shutdown over night (cold system) I get green and miscolored flickers all over the screen - but hey - atleast it boots right? right.
If I now reset the computer a couple of times, sometimes the flicker goes away and sometimes it stays.... until, as it seems, the hardware gets warmer... then, when I reset, I get no picture at all. It's just black... but I can hear the computer booting... only the screen is pitch black. Shutting down the system with the power button and taking it back up (also with the power button naturally) works though. It works when its cold and flickery to make the flicker go away and it works when its warmer and I dont get a picture at all, to get a picture.

So here's the interesting point. I've tried with 2 cards on 4 totally different systems with new EVERYTHING (memory, cpu...)Systems were GigaByte IDX3 845, IDX 845 and 850, Abit B7 845. Also three different powercubes (two different makes) and NOTHING solves the problem! Also I can't find ANY info on the net on this problem so I thought I'd do humanity a favor and let the poor soules out there know they're not alone with their ATI problems. I won't ever buy ATI again that's for sure.

Please post followups if you've got any help.

Makaveli

Splendid
First of all what are the specs on your main system?
What drivers were using?
Is your Card OEM or Retail?

I suggest u find these things out before passing judgement, I think you just got a bad card.

I'm a Happy Ati Radeon 64MB DDR Vivo user and never had any problems like that. I even flashed my oem card with the retail bios still no problems!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=9802" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=9802</A>

dagash1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
I work for an OEM system builder and I've tried two different ATI Radeon 64MB DDR Vivo cards in 4 different systems. I'll give you one of them:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1,5 GHz 423 PIN
Motherboard: ABIT BW7 845 Chipset
Memory: 512 MB Samsung PC133
Video Card: ATI Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO BULK
Hard Drive: Seagate ST340810A 40GB 5400rpm

Even with a stripped system like that, I have boot trouble.

G

dude i think you should format your Hard Disk and see to it that's clean and try it again and if does'nt work i think you have just had a bad card

the Most powerful Computer is the Human Brain<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kuray on 12/21/01 11:34 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I hate to ask this, but are you using the same monitor on all 4 systems? It could be a monitor issue.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

dagash1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
This is not a hard disk issue as the problem is there even without a HDD in the system. And I've tried two cards already...

dagash1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
Yeah, I've tried these systems on three different test stations with different monitors.
But I've pretty much given up and I'm sending the cards back to our reseller.
Can anyone recomend a nice cheep card for capturing tv? (anything besides ATI)

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
This is weird. You're using 2 different cards on 4 different machines and getting the same issue. It could be drivers, but it sounds more likely that the card may not be seated securly in the AGP socket. If there's a retention clip for the AGP slot make sure that it is being used. Still, since you've added and removed the cards several times and are a systems builder I doubt that this is the cause either.

Power supply issue perhaps? The ATI card shouldn't draw any more power than any other AGP 4x card, so if you get issues with an nVidia card, and if all 4 systems use the same model power supply this may be the cause, but I'm just grasping at straws here.

Do all 4 systems use the same mobo? Better yet, what components are identical between all 4 systems (excluding PCI cards which I'm assuming you've yanked prior to testing)?

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

dagash1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
I've used two different power supplies with both of the cards and they are still malfunctioning. A GeForce 2 works fine though. None of the components have been the same in the test systems of course, however they we're all different Pentium 4 systems. Maybe I've actually got two bad cards... I'm sending them back anyway but thanks for your help.