Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

August 26, 2005 5:38:52 PM

I have created the files on the old computer. On my new set-up ticked 'I do
not need the wizard. I have already collected the files and settings' then
on the next screen selected 'other' and browsed to the USMT2.UNC folder.
Clicked on next and it comes back and says "the location does not contain
stored info".
I have tried it : Via the network, via an external HD, from the C: drive and
the same files on another PC. All the same answer. What am I doing wrong
please?
In the specified directory there are two files called Status(1KB) and
IMG0000(1806MB).
I have not registered the XP installation.
Does the old and new user name have to be the same? I tried that - It seems
not to matter.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:38:53 PM

I've had this problem myself before, fairly recently in fact.

I did solve it... I just can't quite remember how, though!! I seem to recall
I just tried again and again and again.... (I really needed a licence key
stored in a txt file on my old My Docs!) and eventually it worked out of the
blue.

I've learned not to use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard for next time
though.... I just store everything remotely now anyway and barely anything to
my local machine. Saves all the hassle if I have to do another rebuild!!

Hope this helps.

"Guy Smith" wrote:

> I have created the files on the old computer. On my new set-up ticked 'I do
> not need the wizard. I have already collected the files and settings' then
> on the next screen selected 'other' and browsed to the USMT2.UNC folder.
> Clicked on next and it comes back and says "the location does not contain
> stored info".
> I have tried it : Via the network, via an external HD, from the C: drive and
> the same files on another PC. All the same answer. What am I doing wrong
> please?
> In the specified directory there are two files called Status(1KB) and
> IMG0000(1806MB).
> I have not registered the XP installation.
> Does the old and new user name have to be the same? I tried that - It seems
> not to matter.

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:38:53 PM

"Guy Smith" <grwsmith@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>I have created the files on the old computer. On my new set-up ticked 'I do
>not need the wizard. I have already collected the files and settings' then
>on the next screen selected 'other' and browsed to the USMT2.UNC folder.
>Clicked on next and it comes back and says "the location does not contain
>stored info".
>I have tried it : Via the network, via an external HD, from the C: drive and
>the same files on another PC. All the same answer. What am I doing wrong
>please?
>In the specified directory there are two files called Status(1KB) and
>IMG0000(1806MB).
>I have not registered the XP installation.
>Does the old and new user name have to be the same? I tried that - It seems
>not to matter.

Create a folder named \Transfer on the same drive\partition as the
USMT2.UNC folder.

Copy or Move the USMT2.UNC folder and all of its contents into the
\Transfer folder

When you run FASTW on the new machine point it at the \Transfer
folder.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:38:54 PM

Lys <Lys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've learned not to use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard for next time
>though.... I just store everything remotely now anyway and barely anything to
>my local machine. Saves all the hassle if I have to do another rebuild!!
>
>Hope this helps.

See my response to the original post.

By using a \Transfer folder to store the accumulated data I have never
repeat never had FASTW fail to import the saved data.

And I regularly do data transfers for customers as part of my computer
business.

!