BSOD and Driver verifier

Hi -

Erratic behaviour - freezing during an otherwise ok connection - of my
diallup connection led me to suspect a faulty driver.

I ran Verify with all drivers selected, and sure enough I got the BSOD
at boot up, telling me that one of my drivers was making an illegal DMA.

Verify is supposed to tell you which driver, but it didn't! I got STOP:
0x000000E6. Went to MS website and looked at the stuff on Verifier, but
no listing for this error.

I suppose I have to use Verifier on a small number of drivers at a
time, but it will take an age.

Anyone know anything about this kind of thing? I mean, does it sometimes
give false positives?

TIA

Tony

Hi Tony,
Restart your pc, tap (repeat) F8 Function key, select the option to use
start "with Boot logging".
Then later on you can review "NTBTLOG.TXT" file -- in your window-directory
folder --( \WINNT or \WINDOWS).

And when Windows allows a login, login as administrator or with
admin-rights (if you can).
Go into your Control Panel | Performance and Maintenance | System icon |
System properties | "Advanced" TAB and
in the "Startup and Recovery" section....click the "settings" button.
"Un-check" the "automatically restart" line.

These are hopefully, some ideas to get you going, and find the problem area.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

"Tony Stanford" wrote