Replacement graphics card

G

I know this has probably been asked a million times already, but....
I have a PIII 500 MgHz 2x\AGP machine with a Viper 550 (nVidia TNT) graphics card.

I want to replace my card but have been unable to find any info on which card would be compatible with a 500 MgHz machine. All testing for the newer cards see to be done on faster machines.

I don't want to spend money on a card that my machine can't utilize very well.

Any recommendations? I don't mind if it's an older card but I'm looking for at least a 32mb card with bump mapping.

TIA.

G

Thanks. I wanted to stay with nVidia. Just wasn't sure if the "newer" cards were too much for my machine.

G

Any particular "brand" that is better, I'm only familiar with Diamond and not impressed with their driver support.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Use drivers from nVidia, they work on all cards with an nVidia GPU. I've never used the manufacturer's driver (except just to see if it was stable so I could go back to it if I got bad drivers).

Gainward, Visiontek, Hercules. All good cards. I have a Hercules card at the moment, I'm looking at probably getting a Gainward next.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Actually, any manufacturer is basically good. Just go for the lowest price- and if it's like $1 more, go for a brand name such as leadtek, gainward, elsa, hercules, msi, asus, and I probably forgot a few:).

What if your life moved.....2 inches to the left?

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
They all have identical performance (since they all use the same processor and the same size/speed/type of RAM). Just choose the cheepest one that has the features that you want. Basically don't wory about the manifacturer's brand name unless your looking to overclock the card.

Tom's did a gforce roundup a few days ago. He focused on the GF3's and the Ti's, but the manifacturer's quality/abilities should spread across their entire nVidia line.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.