Computer will not boot after installing SP2

cowpoke

Distinguished
May 12, 2005

Get a screen which displays:

Out of frequency
HF 83
VF 159
Operating Frequency
HF 30-70
VF 50-160
Power Management (Starts counting down from 20)

At the count down of 15, the system shuts down for about 30 seconds and then
does a reboot which takes it to the screen with the options of " Start
Windows Normally, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, etc"

If I select "Start Windows Normally" I get the "Out of Frequency" screen and
repeat the above.

At this point I started in Safe Mode, did a system restore to remove SP2,
and disabled Window's automatic updates to get back up and running.

Computer Specs: Abit VT7 motherboard, P4 2.4 GHz, ATI Radion Video card

Tried searching the knowledge base for "Out of Frequency" but got nothing
that seems to apply to this problem.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for any and all help.

Claude

As Brian has said, that says to me that the monitor can't cope with whatever
frequency it has been set at..... certainly isn't something that XP could
display!

Does it look more like a display from the monitor rather than XP or DOS??

I've heard of and experience various niggles following SP2 installations,
but not this. Did you upgrade the graphics driver in the process??

"cowpoke" <cowpoke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Get a screen which displays:
>
> Out of frequency
> HF 83
> VF 159
> Operating Frequency
> HF 30-70
> VF 50-160
> Power Management (Starts counting down from 20)
>
> At the count down of 15, the system shuts down for about 30 seconds and
> then
> does a reboot which takes it to the screen with the options of " Start
> Windows Normally, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, etc"
>
> If I select "Start Windows Normally" I get the "Out of Frequency" screen
> and
> repeat the above.
>
> At this point I started in Safe Mode, did a system restore to remove SP2,
> and disabled Window's automatic updates to get back up and running.
>
> Computer Specs: Abit VT7 motherboard, P4 2.4 GHz, ATI Radion Video card
>
> Tried searching the knowledge base for "Out of Frequency" but got nothing
> that seems to apply to this problem.
>
> Anybody have any ideas?
>
> Thanks for any and all help.
>
> Claude

Personally I've only seen a message like "Out of Frequency" being displayed
by a monitor - not XP. It may be that XP is intelligent enough to know that
a monitor can't display at a given horizontal/vertical frequency, but I
don't know. Assuming it is related to the monitor (which the information you
provided would seem to indicate) then the monitor isn't capable of
displaying the current display mode, in which case:

> Operating Frequency
> HF 30-70
> VF 50-160

is what the monitor will support - horizontal frequency and vertical
frequency, and

> HF 83
> VF 159

is what the current display mode requires. Why installing SP2 should change
your display mode beats me.

I would suggest starting up in safe mode and then selecting a suitable
screen resolution and then rebooting.

Hope this helps,

Brian.

--
_ _ _ __ ___ ____ ______ ____ ___ __ _ _ _ _

Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian
_ _ _ __ ___ ____ ______ ____ ___ __ _ _ _ _

> Found the screen refresh but it only shows "use hardware default settings"
> and will not allow any changes.

I think that while you are in safe mode it probably won't let you change the
refresh rate.

> Not sure what you mean by "use your old graphics driver". Currently
> without
> SP2 installed I am assuming Windows is using some generic graphics driver
> but > I can't seem to find the name or location of that driver in order to
> try your
> suggestion.

Do you have the motherboard cd that came with your motherboard (assuming the
graphics card is integrated), or if its a separate graphics card the cd that
originally came with it? That's what I'm referring to.

> I did try forcing and 800 x 600 resolution while in safe mode with SP2
> installed but not sure it took as I got the "out of frequency" error on
> reboot.
>
> With no SP2 installed, the settings tab for "display" shows 800 x 600 True
> Color 32bit defaultl refresh.
>
> Does any of this help?
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> Claude

I suspect we've not going to resolve this one :(

Brian.