add second wireless a/p

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
May 31, 2004 8:50:10 PM

I've just installed a Linksys wireless router for a client. They have
a vary large house and the wireless does not work on the far end. I'd
like to install a second Linksys on the far end, ethernet is there so
that's not a problem. Questions is when you have (2) wireless a/p's
how do you set the channels and the ssid's???? I know the defauls is
ch6 and linksys, so do I have to set the other a/p to a differet
channel/ssid.

Thanks

More about : add wireless

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 31, 2004 9:33:38 PM

njkat@eclipse.net (gene martinez) wrote in news:40bb610a.24962658
@news.eclipse.net:

> Questions is when you have (2) wireless a/p's
> how do you set the channels and the ssid's????

SSIDs the same - but use a different channel.

Use either Channels 1, 7, or 11.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b F Wireless

> > Questions is when you have (2) wireless a/p's
> > how do you set the channels and the ssid's????
>
> SSIDs the same - but use a different channel.
>
> Use either Channels 1, 7, or 11.

This brings up another question for me: why use a different channel if the
wireless cards don't actually *see* the other AP? Is it just for good
measure? Also, why those specific channels?

Anthony
a b F Wireless
May 31, 2004 11:19:07 PM

>> > Questions is when you have (2) wireless a/p's
>> > how do you set the channels and the ssid's????
>>
>> SSIDs the same - but use a different channel.
>>
>> Use either Channels 1, 7, or 11.
>
>This brings up another question for me: why use a different channel if the
>wireless cards don't actually *see* the other AP? Is it just for good
>measure? Also, why those specific channels?
>
>Anthony

There are only 3 seperate channels. 1, 6, and 11. 7 and 11 are in the
same group so I don't know what that gentleman is getting at. I like 1
and 11 the best.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 31, 2004 11:27:44 PM

If your platform is XP and you are usings xp's zero configuration XP will
not recognize two AP's with the same ssid. You can keep all on the default
channel 6. When you ahve set two SSID's you will then see both AP's. You
can have as many AP's as you wish so long as the SSID's are different names.
As a suggestion once you have both ap's working set up WEP security keys 64
or 128 bit.
"gene martinez" <njkat@eclipse.net> wrote in message
> I've just installed a Linksys wireless router for a client. They have
> a vary large house and the wireless does not work on the far end. I'd
> like to install a second Linksys on the far end, ethernet is there so
> that's not a problem. Questions is when you have (2) wireless a/p's
> how do you set the channels and the ssid's???? I know the defauls is
> ch6 and linksys, so do I have to set the other a/p to a differet
> channel/ssid.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 1, 2004 12:58:54 AM

"Extended Partition" <extendedpartition@yahoo.com> wrote in

> This brings up another question for me: why use a different channel if
> the wireless cards don't actually *see* the other AP? Is it just for
> good measure? Also, why those specific channels?

Here is an article:

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/972261

A client does (and should) see multiple APs - that way you won't get a dead
zone. The client will automatically switch to the AP with the stronger
signal. Of course you don't see the the different APs, the driver and the
WiFi card handles all the switching.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b F Wireless
June 1, 2004 1:12:03 AM

"Michael D. Brooks" <mikedb@panix.com> wrote in

> You can keep all on the default
> channel 6.

Then you'll get channel overlap.

> You can have as many AP's as you wish so long as the SSID's are
> different names.

Roaming won't work when you have different SSIDs.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b F Wireless
June 1, 2004 4:06:07 AM

A repeater needs to have the same ssid as the host AP which addresses by
wireless the host ap's mac number. Nontheless XP zero configuration utility
will recognize only one of the devices with the same ssid. will not show
thes econd ap with the same ssid as an available connection.
"Lucas Tam" <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message
> "Michael D. Brooks" <mikedb@panix.com> wrote in
>
> > You can keep all on the default
> > channel 6.
>
> Then you'll get channel overlap.
>
> > You can have as many AP's as you wish so long as the SSID's are
> > different names.
>
> Roaming won't work when you have different SSIDs.
>
> --
> Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b F Wireless
June 1, 2004 5:52:00 AM

"Michael D. Brooks" <mikedb@panix.com> wrote in news:p LPuc.347$eU6.96117
@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

> A repeater needs to have the same ssid as the host AP which addresses by
> wireless the host ap's mac number.

Wasn't the OP talking about adding a second AP... not a repeater? : )

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b F Wireless
June 1, 2004 8:42:25 AM

roaming works with seperate ssid when clients are set to ANY

I acutally prefer it because I can fiddle with rules and kill myself off yet
get on the unfiddled one to fix the fizzled one. gosh thats some
ramble... its late

"Lucas Tam" <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message
> "Michael D. Brooks" <mikedb@panix.com> wrote in
>
> > You can keep all on the default
> > channel 6.
>
> Then you'll get channel overlap.
>
> > You can have as many AP's as you wish so long as the SSID's are
> > different names.
>
> Roaming won't work when you have different SSIDs.
>
> --
> Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b F Wireless
June 1, 2004 5:29:28 PM

Thanks, what did i start?? Some say same as you and others say
different?? If it matters it's a 2000 lap-top..

Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:

>njkat@eclipse.net (gene martinez) wrote in news:40bb610a.24962658
>@news.eclipse.net:
>
>> Questions is when you have (2) wireless a/p's
>> how do you set the channels and the ssid's????
>
>SSIDs the same - but use a different channel.
>
>Use either Channels 1, 7, or 11.
>
>--
>Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
>Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
>http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 1, 2004 6:03:26 PM

if you set same channels then each will have interferance
channels 1,6,11 are spread for best use in US

same security, same ssid, different channels is the accepted method.
might read about it at http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

> Thanks, what did i start?? Some say same as you and others say
> different?? If it matters it's a 2000 lap-top..
>
> Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> >njkat@eclipse.net (gene martinez) wrote in news:40bb610a.24962658
> >@news.eclipse.net:
> >
> >> Questions is when you have (2) wireless a/p's
> >> how do you set the channels and the ssid's????
> >
> >SSIDs the same - but use a different channel.
> >
> >Use either Channels 1, 7, or 11.
> >
> >--
> >Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
> >Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
> >http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 1, 2004 8:02:58 PM

njkat@eclipse.net (gene martinez) wrote in news:40bc8453.1493540
@news.eclipse.net:

> Thanks, what did i start?? Some say same as you and others say
> different?? If it matters it's a 2000 lap-top..

I probably got the channel #'s wrong... I just typed the numbers off the
top of my head. If you check the article link I posted... the info should
be in there.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)