add second wireless a/p

I've just installed a Linksys wireless router for a client. They have
a vary large house and the wireless does not work on the far end. I'd
like to install a second Linksys on the far end, ethernet is there so
that's not a problem. Questions is when you have (2) wireless a/p's
how do you set the channels and the ssid's???? I know the defauls is
ch6 and linksys, so do I have to set the other a/p to a differet
channel/ssid.

Thanks
12 answers Last reply
More about wireless

    njkat@eclipse.net (gene martinez) wrote in news:40bb610a.24962658
    @news.eclipse.net:

    > Questions is when you have (2) wireless a/p's
    > how do you set the channels and the ssid's????

    SSIDs the same - but use a different channel.

    Use either Channels 1, 7, or 11.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    > > Questions is when you have (2) wireless a/p's
    > > how do you set the channels and the ssid's????
    >
    > SSIDs the same - but use a different channel.
    >
    > Use either Channels 1, 7, or 11.

    This brings up another question for me: why use a different channel if the
    wireless cards don't actually *see* the other AP? Is it just for good
    measure? Also, why those specific channels?

    Anthony

    >> > Questions is when you have (2) wireless a/p's
    >> > how do you set the channels and the ssid's????
    >>
    >> SSIDs the same - but use a different channel.
    >>
    >> Use either Channels 1, 7, or 11.
    >
    >This brings up another question for me: why use a different channel if the
    >wireless cards don't actually *see* the other AP? Is it just for good
    >measure? Also, why those specific channels?
    >
    >Anthony

    There are only 3 seperate channels. 1, 6, and 11. 7 and 11 are in the
    same group so I don't know what that gentleman is getting at. I like 1
    and 11 the best.

    If your platform is XP and you are usings xp's zero configuration XP will
    not recognize two AP's with the same ssid. You can keep all on the default
    channel 6. When you ahve set two SSID's you will then see both AP's. You
    can have as many AP's as you wish so long as the SSID's are different names.
    As a suggestion once you have both ap's working set up WEP security keys 64
    or 128 bit.

    "Extended Partition" <extendedpartition@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > This brings up another question for me: why use a different channel if
    > the wireless cards don't actually *see* the other AP? Is it just for
    > good measure? Also, why those specific channels?

    Here is an article:

    http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/972261

    A client does (and should) see multiple APs - that way you won't get a dead
    zone. The client will automatically switch to the AP with the stronger
    signal. Of course you don't see the the different APs, the driver and the
    WiFi card handles all the switching.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    "Michael D. Brooks" <mikedb@panix.com> wrote in

    > You can keep all on the default
    > channel 6.

    Then you'll get channel overlap.

    > You can have as many AP's as you wish so long as the SSID's are
    > different names.

    Roaming won't work when you have different SSIDs.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    A repeater needs to have the same ssid as the host AP which addresses by
    wireless the host ap's mac number. Nontheless XP zero configuration utility
    will recognize only one of the devices with the same ssid. will not show
    thes econd ap with the same ssid as an available connection.

    "Michael D. Brooks" <mikedb@panix.com> wrote in news:PLPuc.347$eU6.96117
    @news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

    > A repeater needs to have the same ssid as the host AP which addresses by
    > wireless the host ap's mac number.

    Wasn't the OP talking about adding a second AP... not a repeater? : )

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    roaming works with seperate ssid when clients are set to ANY

    I acutally prefer it because I can fiddle with rules and kill myself off yet
    get on the unfiddled one to fix the fizzled one. gosh thats some
    ramble... its late

    "Lucas Tam" <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > "Michael D. Brooks" <mikedb@panix.com> wrote in
    >
    > > You can keep all on the default
    > > channel 6.
    >
    > Then you'll get channel overlap.
    >
    > > You can have as many AP's as you wish so long as the SSID's are
    > > different names.
    >
    > Roaming won't work when you have different SSIDs.
    >
    > --
    > Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    Thanks, what did i start?? Some say same as you and others say
    different?? If it matters it's a 2000 lap-top..

    Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:

    >njkat@eclipse.net (gene martinez) wrote in news:40bb610a.24962658
    >@news.eclipse.net:
    >
    >> Questions is when you have (2) wireless a/p's
    >> how do you set the channels and the ssid's????
    >
    >SSIDs the same - but use a different channel.
    >
    >Use either Channels 1, 7, or 11.
    >
    >--
    >Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
    >Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
    >http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/

    if you set same channels then each will have interferance
    channels 1,6,11 are spread for best use in US

    same security, same ssid, different channels is the accepted method.
    might read about it at http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

    njkat@eclipse.net (gene martinez) wrote in news:40bc8453.1493540
    @news.eclipse.net:

    > Thanks, what did i start?? Some say same as you and others say
    > different?? If it matters it's a 2000 lap-top..

    I probably got the channel #'s wrong... I just typed the numbers off the
    top of my head. If you check the article link I posted... the info should
    be in there.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Wireless Wireless Router Linksys Wireless Networking