Sign in with
Your question

Passwords Lost???Help

Last response: in Windows XP
November 28, 2003 4:39:22 PM

Using Windows XP and the dickhead adminstrator has locked the computer out. he doesnt remember his password so there is no way to get in to change other peoples system access. Is there a workaround for the administrator forgetting his password other then reinstalling windows? Didnt there use to be a way to delete the folder containing the passwords and then when programs asked for password to reinstall them? Any help provided greatly appreciated. Big brother is watching me!

More about : passwords lost

November 28, 2003 9:15:47 PM

I knew of a few tricks with win2k but in XP I think that you are SOL. The passwords are in the systemroot and cannot delete them. May have to reinstall windows..

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!
November 29, 2003 7:22:10 PM

Is there another user with adminstrative rights? No? Well then...

----------
I'm a nuclear reactor cooling system programmer, if you see me running, it's probably already too late.
Related resources
January 31, 2004 11:56:01 PM

Consider using a account/password recovery utility such as NTaccess or even one of the many hacks. NTaccess will cost you a $50-$70 bucks but it may be worth it to you.
February 1, 2004 2:39:55 AM

If thats the only adminitstrator account then I would try a repair install. Usually that leaves most installed programs fully funtional. Most of the time you just need to reinstall some drivers and reactive/reregister certain programs. First I would backup the partion with Ghost or a similar utility to be safe.

I just hope you are not using encrypted folders. Once you repair or reinstall an OS all the keys are gone forever, unless you backed them up.
February 1, 2004 4:16:09 AM

are you guys serious? .... This is pretty serious, cause what happens, if you seriously have a Password and you forget it... your telling me you would have to ReFORMAT the whole drive cause of this.... wow that sucks...... there's no DOS command you can go into? maybe boot into dos and delete a certain file? wow this sucks i better not forget this shiznit

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2
February 1, 2004 6:32:09 AM

Who said anything about formating?

If you already backed up everything then its neater to start with a freshly formated partion. But sometimes your OS quits working before you have a chance to backup your files/address book/favorites/email ....

You can install Windows XP without formating. Just leave the partion alone and don't tell setup to format and it won't.

If you choose a repair installation you won't even have to reinstall all your software, mostly just the device drivers.

All your documents and files will still be on the drive, if the files had permissions set just use the new admin accout and change ownership and permissions.

Basically anyone with access to your hard drive can access any file they want.

The only protection is encryption. But if your account gets corrupted or you need to reinstall your OS the encrypted data is gone forever unless you exported your encryption key and kept it in a safe place.
February 2, 2004 1:19:03 AM

OH man Awesome! .... Thanks a ton man

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2
!