Canesta Developing 'Project Natal Killer'For PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
You know, come to think of it... I don't know what kids say nowadays. They turned into a buncha faggy, vampire-loving-emos, so instead of "that's like totally rad", what do they say now? "I don't want to cut my wrists right now."? Wait... I'm doing it wrong... how do I say that in short, abbreviated text talk?

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I got distracted, sorry. On topic, Canesta's TV Gesture control, which is meant to replace TV remotes, actually looks mildly useful (although, it'd be totally abused by my daughter when I'm trying to watch football).

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
^^ looks like someone is getting older and doesn't understand the generation that follows them lol. Happens every single generation lol, lovin it. Not sayin vampires are cool or anything, but the whole emo kids cutting their wrist stereotype has got to go...just sayin.

anyways, looks like that interface from Minority Report is more possible than I thought.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I think things are getting a little too far ahead of themselves. Creativity is at an all time low. Kinda sickening. Remember when you actually had to ACT to make a movie good?

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]They turned into a buncha faggy, vampire-loving-emos, so instead of "that's like totally rad", what do they say now? "I don't want to cut my wrists right now."? Wait... I'm doing it wrong... how do I say that in short, abbreviated text talk?[/citation]

agreed. fuck twilight and fuck abbreviations and all that other brainless talk.

G

[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]I got distracted, sorry. On topic, Canesta's TV Gesture control, which is meant to replace TV remotes, actually looks mildly useful (although, it'd be totally abused by my daughter when I'm trying to watch football).[/citation]
Damn!

It'd be real irritating to watch TV and have the channel or the volume change just because you or someone else in the room made the wrong movement.

Lift your arm while you reach with your other hand to scratch the underside just by your shoulder. Or twist in your seat so you can scratch your @$$ or adjust your nuts. Raise your elbow in the air while you scratch behind your ear or pick your nose. Or how about when you take your glasses off with one hand and use your other hand to rub your eyes. Or how about just flipping the bird to someone on TV.

Just what little motions are we gonna have to learn to try our damnedest not to do so as to avoid any problems with this sort of technology?

I honestly don't think I could be comfortable with this type of control interface.

As it is, I don't even own a cellphone cause I dislike how small how small they are, not to mention the size of the buttons and the fact that there are too many features crammed into them. Yeah, I've got really big hands which is one of the reasons for my dislike of cell phones. Another is cause everywhere you look you see people glued to their cells, constantly talking on them no matter what they are doing and not paying any attention to what they are doing in the mean time.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Not all kids today are total fools walking around like little vampires....

Maybe the kids and brothers and sisters of "tech geeks: like TOMS readers right? So how does that feel? TO be labled as a vampire tech geek? Because the kids I know are spoiled rich kids that drive cars like 3 series, a4's, subarus, escapes, lancers, galants and accords... play video games for fun or to KILL TIME but not as dorks playing half life..... and some of us even had crazy computers 10years ago,most that I knew in high school were doing crazy stuff you probably hevent even done.... but THE FACT is an example, this is JUST a small segment of children and does not make up the whole while there are kids struggling to live and get by probably with no jobs, and are most likely reverting to violence or things not normal. Not all kids that are gothic, anyway I do hate Twilight as well but just because of its pathetic attempt to make a vampire movie doesnt mean that ALL kids now a days like it....

You must be watching too much MTV thinking all kids are like that...and plus yeah you are right, these kids dont really understand what and where vampires came from, a despot rules that basically took advantage of his enemies from eastern europe, not some stupids kids why try to be vampires while getting paid too much to act too stupid....

Going back to computers, these kids also probably fit into this segment as PC builders that can make crazy PCs and can also beat some uf us in games. I mean I hate it when some stupid kid 'frags' or kills me in COD or Crysis:WH and they sound like little jerks. Its ironic isnt it. But I guess what you are getting at is the 70's and 80's generation not to mention the older ones still have morals. But who is to blame? I think its MEDIA and its ruining America's morals. Think reality TV.....

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Soon kids will be virtual "banging".... man this might not be a good idea for consumer electronics and a certain industry that Hollywood actually needs in order to flourish around the world........

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]You know, come to think of it... I don't know what kids say nowadays. They turned into a buncha faggy, vampire-loving-emos, so instead of "that's like totally rad", what do they say now? "I don't want to cut my wrists right now."? Wait... I'm doing it wrong... how do I say that in short, abbreviated text talk?[/citation]

this is why i love living in new york. its not emo kids, its kids trying to fit in the skinniest jeans... at least the lingo hasn't changed much... im only 20 though

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I agree, I don't see how it's a Natal killer if it's for PC. Two different platforms. I think Natal will go down in history as one of the biggest tech disappointments of all time. There's absolutely no way it can succeed beyond light mini games, or distracting motion controls in conjunction with a real controller. The most it will be used for if the motion sensing is as accurate as claimed is people making lewd gestures with avatars whenever they have the opportunity. It's funny and sad some of the expectations people have from the technology. There's no need for a Natal killer because it's already killed itself. How many people do you know with an EyeToy and how often do they actually use it? At least with the Wii, you can play a huge variety of games with the controls. No matter what you may think of motion controls, Wii has the most versatile control scheme and it has the advantage of the console being built around those controls. Camera sensing might be good for simple tasks, but not for gaming. It would still need a controller to do any sort of complex action, and the 360 controller isn't designed to be swung around.

gr33nf00t

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
[citation][nom]amabhy[/nom]How is it a Natal killer if its for PC?[/citation]
More importantly, how is this a Natal killer if Natal hasn't even hit the market yet?

And yes, shiny vampires suck enormously.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]griffed88[/nom]^^ looks like someone is getting older and doesn't understand the generation that follows them lol. Happens every single generation lol, lovin it. Not sayin vampires are cool or anything, but the whole emo kids cutting their wrist stereotype has got to go...just sayin.anyways, looks like that interface from Minority Report is more possible than I thought.[/citation]
Vampires are cool.
I fucking love the old black and white vampire movies I used to watch with my father at 2am in the morning...
Twilight, however, is a disgrace. When they are exposed to sunlight, they sparkle?
Friend recently told me someone was aying he was going to kill himself. He wrote some longass insanely dramatic poem too... After reading it, I was tempted to tell her to tell the guy to do it... fucking emos.

I do like the idea for a PC interface that uses this.
Such as reading a book on your computer, just flick your wrist. Scroll down a website, drag a finger down in air.
It could have useful applications if we actually put some decent effort and funding into the program, so let's do what we always do with technology... Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Vampires? are you all nuts? The emo kids just get beaten up by everyone they are the lowest social groop in the society.

And please you may look at all kids as retarded I'm sure the olders did the same to you when you were young.

There are plenty intelligent young people which don't only have vamps and crap in their heads.

A Friend of mine is 17 and works in a company where he has to help older employe's ALL THE TIME because they can't print stuff or use their own cellphones or even save a document. And the funny thing is that he works there for 2 years now and old the old folks totaly depend on him.

Not all yound people are facebook loving Vampire fags and dumb, the same way that not all elder people aren't re""rds that can't handle any tecnology from this century.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I'm just wondering how this is going to be "project natal killer". I like to interact with a physical object instead of dancing around like an idiot trying to pop balloons.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]outacontrolpimp[/nom]agreed. fuck twilight and fuck abbreviations and all that other brainless talk.[/citation]

How about fuck those who don't use capital letters and correct punctuation? Or, is that acceptable, while other brainless talk is not?

Status
Not open for further replies.