Sign in with
Your question

Yet another "which card should I buy?" question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2001 8:47:05 PM

Hello all,

I am building a system and have a question on which video card to buy. I have read through many posts and done quite a bit of reading on the topic, but nothing is "calling my name".

I do play some games (Quake 3), but I'm not what you would call a hard core gamer. I like the TV-In capabilities of the ATI AIW 32MB (agp) but was wondering if it can handle Quake. So, basically, I am looking for an all inclusive type card that will do a good job with graphic intensive games. Any advice? Would like to stay $150 or under for now.

Specs for the new system:

Soyo Dragon +
Athlon XP 1600+
512 MB DDR (non-ECC)
Lite-ON DVD and CD/RW
400W Power Supply
Win 2000 operating system

Thanks for the input! :smile:

More about : card buy question

December 22, 2001 8:55:26 PM

I would get a Radeon 7500 for now, and save up and get an ATI-TV WONDER (a PCI TV TUNER/ANALOG VIDEO CAPTURE solution) later. The ATI AIW RADEON is getting old and might not be able to handle the latest games in 6 months or so. It's performance is just above that of a GeForce2 MX.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2001 10:07:21 PM

Yeah, the Radeon 7500 should be more than able to handle any games you're going to get for years ahead and is relatively cheap too.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2001 10:15:43 PM

Thanks for the input. I agree that something with 64MB is probably a better investment. I have looked at the 8500DV but that is more money than I need to spend right now....I have been not been able to find any 64 MB "all inclusive" types that are not expensive.
December 22, 2001 10:20:11 PM

I would get the Radeon 7500 and then save up and later get a separate Video Capture/TV Tuner card such the ATI TV WONDER.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
!