Windows Media Encoder> Extreamly slow to open files for en..

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder.optimization,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

When I try to open avi files that are encoded with divx to re encode them to
WMV
encoder freezes and takes ages just to load the file, before I even start
encoding.
At first I thought that the Divx 6 codec I installed recently was the
problem, but then I downgraded to divx 5.2 and I got the same mysterious
result.

When I do the same steps with another software this does not happen (TMPGEnc
3.0 Xpress)

Any Ideas on why this is happening?

TIA

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder.optimization,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Try downloading the encoder,select,repair this installation.

"kenny" wrote:

> When I try to open avi files that are encoded with divx to re encode them to
> WMV
> encoder freezes and takes ages just to load the file, before I even start
> encoding.
> At first I thought that the Divx 6 codec I installed recently was the
> problem, but then I downgraded to divx 5.2 and I got the same mysterious
> result.
>
> When I do the same steps with another software this does not happen (TMPGEnc
> 3.0 Xpress)
>
> Any Ideas on why this is happening?
>
> TIA

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder.optimization,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

This is most likely the result of a codec pack installation, uninstall such
software and the loading times will be faster.

"kenny" <dot@net.biz> wrote in message
> When I try to open avi files that are encoded with divx to re encode them
> to WMV
> encoder freezes and takes ages just to load the file, before I even start
> encoding.
> At first I thought that the Divx 6 codec I installed recently was the
> problem, but then I downgraded to divx 5.2 and I got the same mysterious
> result.
>
> When I do the same steps with another software this does not happen
> (TMPGEnc
> 3.0 Xpress)
>
> Any Ideas on why this is happening?
>
> TIA

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder,microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder.optimization,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I agree with Zarax, it is the codec. There is free program called "Gspot"
that will tell you what codec is needed and where to find it. It is more
than likely the xdiv codec you need, but you need to find out for sure.
Then there some converting programs to convert avi to mpg. I have used
them, with varying success, so be aware of that. After converting, the
quality is rarely as good.
Good luck