Sp00nLude

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
Hi,
I just did a fresh format on my harddrive and installed windows xp pro. no SP1. the system hangs after my desktop appears on the screen. I click on something and it doesnt really open it up till a while later. I was wondering what could be wrong. Whether or not it is hardware related. Thanks in advance.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Go into msconfig and run in diagnostic mode then reboot. See if it locks up again. Sounds like in the background is taking its time to load or crashes the machince when loading it. Also go into your registry and go into the run folder to see if there is any "odd" entries in there.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!

Sp00nLude

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
Hi thanks for the reply.

I went into diagnostic mode and it still hung. The thing is...like if i open a bitmap file it says generating image for a while.
The run folder under the registry, is that the same as the startup selection under the msconfig? cuz i dunno how to go into the registry besides running regedit and then i dunno where to go.

Thanks again.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Yeah the run folder is like the msconfig but you may find stuff that will not be posted in the msconfig. How about safe mode? Can you boot good there? The run folder is located here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Have you did a clen install of windows yet?

Sp00nLude

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
the computer is a compaq 800 athlon. no idea what mobo it uses. Yeah i just did a clean install of winXP when i format the HD. i have two HDs, the main drive with the OS installed is a 30gb 5400rpm that came with the comp, my secondary HD is a maxtor 60gb 7200 rpm. I also noticed this sort of lag during the startup of the computer after it loads the desktop screen on my other computer, thtatcomp has xp2000+, 512 pc2100, k7s5a, ti4200, 1 x 60gb WD 2mb cache, 1 x 120 gb wd 8mb, 1 x 60gb ibm deskstar 2mb. I use the 2mb WD to load up OS. I've been wondering if it is the issue with the secondary HD being faster than the master drive. but im not sure if thats the case. i'll need some confirmation from the forum to actually see if ppl had the same problem with that sort of setup.

Thanks again for posting!

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
It should not make a difference as for the speeds of the drives. Could unplug, that includes IDE and Power cable, the secondary hard drives then reboot the machine. See what it does when just one hard is plugged in.

I have had this kind of prob before but it was probs with my starups. How big is your PSU? Maybe getting too much flux in power flow.

Sp00nLude

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
Hi I have tried booting in safe mode, the lag is less but it still occurs when i try to dialup to my internet connection, the dialog box wont open till later, i tried booting in network mode too and same thing. I've also checked the run folder and there dun seem to be anything unusual. when windows load up the icons on the bottom right toolbar dun load up till the computer is ready. I'm not sure what kind of PSU is in this computer but I dun have a lot running on it so it should be pretty stable. I dunno what else to say, i really dunno what the problem is here. I thought winXP would only pass thru the login screen once it has everything ready. =\ Thanks for the reply once again =]

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Oh no, since each user-profile is unique to that user, the OS does not load the systray and is crap till you log in. Did you do the upgrade to XP?

Sp00nLude

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
no i had a clean install of winxp....i always had winxp...just did a format and reinstalling it.....and i noticed the lag in the internet connection dial up...at this point im temporarily giving up cuz im away from home for school and theres no way to trouble shoot it..i guess my sister just have to wait for it to load up =p thanks for all ur help tho, wish things in life were simpler =\

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Well normally if it was a software issue, a low level format and reinstall of windows fixes them all. Otherwise, there has to be some odd hardware issue going on. Maybe updated mobo drivers are needed..

Take last night for example, I made the stupid mistake of dropping the timmings of my ram a litte. It passed the memtest86 and benchmark just fine but the next day when I booted the rig up, Windows got all hosed up, including the system 32 directory. Couldnt even reinstall cause the ntfs.sys was hosed. Luckily I have the driver split up to multiple partitions so much of my data was still safe.

Sp00nLude

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
So i guess i will start out with updating the mobo driver and if that dun change anything, I guess there is something wrong with my hardware configuration thats creating this bottleneck. Thanks for ur help. =]