Checkdisk wont fix the drive

Hi,
Iv started getting strange errors on the computer like: "memory cannot
be read/written" in different programs and different situations. I have
run memtest86 and there doesn't seem to be a problem with the RAM. I
have run a diagnostic from my harddisk maker and it checks out fine. I
am suspicious of the hdd because of the following. When i run chkdsk it
usually says: Errors found chkdsk cannot continue in read-only mode. I
ran a boot-time check, with /r, but still when i boot to windows i get
errors in the volume. This does not happen to my 2 non-primary hdds.
What could be the problem and how do i fix it?

PS. I tried running chkdsk from the recovery console.
1 answer Last reply
More about checkdisk wont drive

    Don't bother even running CHKDSK in read-only mode. Read on.

    Open a command prompt, type chkdsk /? and hit Enter.

    1. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click the volume you want to
    check, and then click Properties.
    2. On the Tools tab, click Check Now.
    3. Do one of the following:

    o To run Chkdsk by using the /f parameter, select the Automatically fix file
    system errors check box, and then click Start.
    [[Specifies whether Windows repairs file-system errors found during disk
    checking. All files must be closed for this program to run. If the drive is
    currently in use, a message asks if you want to reschedule
    the disk checking for the next time you restart your computer. Your drive is
    not available to run other tasks while the disk is being checked.]]

    o To run Chkdsk by using the /r parameter, select the Scan for and attempt
    recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
    [[Specifies whether Windows repairs file-system errors found during disk
    checking, locates bad sectors, and recovers readable information. All files
    must be closed for this program to run. If the drive is currently in use, a
    message asks if you want to reschedule the disk checking for the next time
    you restart your computer. Your drive is not available to run other tasks
    while the disk is being checked. If you select this option, you do not need
    to select Automatically fix file system errors. Windows fixes any errors on
    the disk.]]
    -----

    [[Chkdsk might not accurately report information in read-only mode.]]

    Chkdsk
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prmb_tol_pwfd.asp

    [[If you run chkdsk without the /f command-line option on an active
    partition, it might report spurious errors because it cannot lock the
    drive.]]

    [[Using chkdsk with open files
    If you specify the /f command-line option, chkdsk sends an error message if
    there are open files on the disk. If you do not specify the /f command-line
    option and open files exist, chkdsk might report lost allocation units on
    the disk. This could happen if open files have not yet been recorded in the
    file allocation table. If chkdsk reports the loss of a large number of
    allocation units, consider repairing the disk.]]

    Chkdsk
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx

    [[In read-only mode, CHKDSK quits before it completes all three phases if it
    encounters errors in earlier phases, and CHKDSK is prone to falsely
    reporting errors. For example, CHKDSK may report disk corruption if NTFS
    happens to modify areas of a disk while CHKDSK is examining the disk. For
    correct verification, a volume must be static, and the only way to guarantee
    a static state is to lock the volume. CHKDSK locks the volume only if you
    specify the /F switch (or the /R switch, which implies /F). You may need to
    run CHKDSK more than once to get CHKDSK to complete all its passes
    in read-only mode. ]]

    An Explanation of the New C and I Switches That Are Available to Use with
    Chkdsk.exe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314835

    To take advantage of all the Chkdsk parameters, use the command-line version
    of Chkdsk.

    Describes how to use the chkdsk command at the command line.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/chkdsk.asp

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1125102124.570645.294390@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
    mgorbach@gmail.com <mgorbach@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi,
    > Iv started getting strange errors on the computer like: "memory cannot
    > be read/written" in different programs and different situations. I have
    > run memtest86 and there doesn't seem to be a problem with the RAM. I
    > have run a diagnostic from my harddisk maker and it checks out fine. I
    > am suspicious of the hdd because of the following. When i run chkdsk it
    > usually says: Errors found chkdsk cannot continue in read-only mode. I
    > ran a boot-time check, with /r, but still when i boot to windows i get
    > errors in the volume. This does not happen to my 2 non-primary hdds.
    > What could be the problem and how do i fix it?
    >
    > PS. I tried running chkdsk from the recovery console.

Chkdsk Hard Drives Windows XP