Sounds and Audio Devices in Control panel

For some bizarre reason, the Sounds and Audio Devices selection in the
Control Panel does not respond when I double-click on it. The icon has also
changed to a generic icon that I think means Windows can't recognize it.

Sound works fine on the system; I can play CD's or whatever.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks for the help,

Steve
1 answer Last reply
More about sounds audio devices control panel

    Steve,

    Open %WinDir%\System32 folder and and rename the existing copy of MMSYS.CPL
    (to OldMMSYS.CPL). Windows File Protection will issue a new copy of this
    file. If that does not help, you need to extract a new copy of the file from
    the ServicePackFiles\i386 folder or from the Windows XP CD-ROM, whichever
    has the latest version of the CPL file.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Steve Magoon" <owkmann@nojunk.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > For some bizarre reason, the Sounds and Audio Devices selection in the
    > Control Panel does not respond when I double-click on it. The icon has
    > also changed to a generic icon that I think means Windows can't recognize
    > it.
    >
    > Sound works fine on the system; I can play CD's or whatever.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks for the help,
    >
    > Steve

Control Panel Audio Devices Windows XP