Sounds and Audio Devices in Control panel

August 27, 2005 1:33:34 AM

For some bizarre reason, the Sounds and Audio Devices selection in the
Control Panel does not respond when I double-click on it. The icon has also
changed to a generic icon that I think means Windows can't recognize it.

Sound works fine on the system; I can play CD's or whatever.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks for the help,

Steve
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 1:56:35 PM

Steve,

Open %WinDir%\System32 folder and and rename the existing copy of MMSYS.CPL
(to OldMMSYS.CPL). Windows File Protection will issue a new copy of this
file. If that does not help, you need to extract a new copy of the file from
the ServicePackFiles\i386 folder or from the Windows XP CD-ROM, whichever
has the latest version of the CPL file.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User