Drive Letters VISABLE in "My Computer, NOT VISABLE in Disk..

August 26, 2005 11:25:02 PM

I searched but could not find a post that helps...

I cannot find out why the partition drive letters are not showing up in disk
management but are showing in "My Computer". I can view directories and file
in explorer but links and commands do not work because they can't find the
paths.

I have 3 physical HDs. They show up in "My Computer" as follows...

160 GB internal HD shows as:
WIN XP (C:)  146 GB total partition size
HP RECOVERY (G:)  5.26 GB total partition size

80 GB Internal HD shows as:
Win XP BackUp (D:)  76.3 GB total partition size

120 GB External USB Maxtor HD shows as:
DATA (F:)  114 GB total partition size

My DVD-RW Drive is Letter Z:

BUT... When I go to Windows Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc), I get the
following.... (No Drive Letters like I did before)

Disk 0 Basic 152.67 GB Online
HP_RECOVERY 5.28 GB FAT 32 Healthy (Unknown
Partition)
WIN_XP 146.48 GB NTSF Healthy (Active)
926 MB
Unallocated

Disk 1 Basic 76.33 GB Online
WIN_XP_BACKUP 76.33 GB NTSF Healthy (Unkown Partition)

Disk 2 Basic 114.49 GB Online
DATA 146.48 GB NTSF Healthy (Active)

CD-ROM 0
DVD (Z:)
No Media

HP_RECOVERY on Disk 0 and DATA on Disk 1 ARE HIDDEN PARTITIONS, that's why
they say "unknown partition".
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 11:48:01 PM

Additional Info... When I right click a partition in Disk Management, "change
drive letters and paths..." is greyed out and is not an option EXCEPT for
Disk 0, partition Win_XP. When I click to change I then have to click "ADD"
and it gives me letters E and H thru Y.

Please Help if you know what's going on here.

Thanks, Rick