Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Warranty

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
June 23, 2005 8:46:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions :-)

My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for 3 more
years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two years and could
even be three.

Not a days trouble the past year.

Good deal? Anyone else took it?

Thanks
Bill

More about : warranty

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 8:54:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

You know, of course, that there is no right answer for your question, just
opinions. Here's mine:

Under Dell's warranty, you will get the same part, or a functionally
identical equivalent, as was originally installed in your computer. If a
piece of hardware fails three years from now, do you want to pay $210 to get
the very same part or the same technology, given the rapid advances in
technology that will occur over that time?

The extended warranty (remember, this is just my opinion) is for the
technophobe. You've got better things to do with the money.
--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
news:m8Fue.38$Zo.13@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions :-)
>
> My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for 3
more
> years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two years and
could
> even be three.
>
> Not a days trouble the past year.
>
> Good deal? Anyone else took it?
>
> Thanks
> Bill
>
>
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 10:12:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Money is better spent on a UPS to protect the system IMO.
And they wouldn't be offering it to you if the odds weren't in their favor.

"William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
news:m8Fue.38$Zo.13@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions :-)
>
> My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for 3
more
> years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two years and
could
> even be three.
>
> Not a days trouble the past year.
>
> Good deal? Anyone else took it?
>
> Thanks
> Bill
>
>
Related resources
June 23, 2005 11:40:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
news:m8Fue.38$Zo.13@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions :-)
>
> My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for 3
> more years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two years and
> could even be three.
>
> Not a days trouble the past year.
>
> Good deal? Anyone else took it?
>
> Thanks
> Bill

Thanks for all the advice. I guess outside of the motherboard there isnt
much of an expense to replace other parts if they fail, especially as Ted
mentioned Dell not necessarily replacing with current products.

Thanks again.
Bill
>
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 12:55:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
news:m8Fue.38$Zo.13@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions :-)
>
> My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for 3
> more years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two years and
> could even be three.
>
> Not a days trouble the past year.
>
> Good deal? Anyone else took it?
>
> Thanks
> Bill
>

Well, I wouldn't. What's going to fail? An $80 hard drive? If the
motherboard fails, then you're out of luck, but I've never had one fail and
the statistical probability is low.

I'd buy it for a laptop, but not a desktop.

Tom
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 12:55:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I second the others. Don't spend $210
on a service plan. If something fails
it is most likely going to be a drive
and CDs/DVDs are cheap these days, even
hard drives aren't much.

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:wlFue.109183$VH2.78667@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
> "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
> news:m8Fue.38$Zo.13@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>>I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions
>>:-)
>>
>> My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for
>> 3 more years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two
>> years and could even be three.
>>
>> Not a days trouble the past year.
>>
>> Good deal? Anyone else took it?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Bill
>>
>
> Well, I wouldn't. What's going to fail? An $80 hard drive? If the
> motherboard fails, then you're out of luck, but I've never had one
> fail and the statistical probability is low.
>
> I'd buy it for a laptop, but not a desktop.
>
> Tom
>
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:36:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Yeah, but by that argument you don't need car insurance or life insurance,
because they're in the insurance companies favor.

Tom
"snert" <snert@bowwow.com> wrote in message
news:xqGue.7887$xm1.6923@fe06.lga...
> Money is better spent on a UPS to protect the system IMO.
> And they wouldn't be offering it to you if the odds weren't in their
> favor.
>
> "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
> news:m8Fue.38$Zo.13@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>> I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions :-)
>>
>> My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for 3
> more
>> years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two years and
> could
>> even be three.
>>
>> Not a days trouble the past year.
>>
>> Good deal? Anyone else took it?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Bill
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 4:25:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Your comparisons are totally bogus. Losing a car of high value is worth the
cost of insurance. Most people can absorb a computer loss since the
cost/replacement is low.

Life insurance is meant to make up for lost income or obligations (kids,
home, etc.). It's a necessity in some cases.

Paying $210 (high % to property value) to "insure" a system that is almost
worthless in 3 years is just plain nuts unless its a laptop that is
handled/moved frequently thus vasly increasing the odds of damage and a high
dollar repair.

So by your logic are you suggesting that people should be buying extended
waranties whenever they are offered?


"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:qPGue.109284$VH2.30929@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> Yeah, but by that argument you don't need car insurance or life insurance,
> because they're in the insurance companies favor.
>
> Tom
> "snert" <snert@bowwow.com> wrote in message
> news:xqGue.7887$xm1.6923@fe06.lga...
> > Money is better spent on a UPS to protect the system IMO.
> > And they wouldn't be offering it to you if the odds weren't in their
> > favor.
> >
> > "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
> > news:m8Fue.38$Zo.13@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> >> I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions
:-)
> >>
> >> My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for 3
> > more
> >> years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two years and
> > could
> >> even be three.
> >>
> >> Not a days trouble the past year.
> >>
> >> Good deal? Anyone else took it?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Bill
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 11:44:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I'M HAPPY and I come here :)  I'm here to learn. Well, I'm happy till an
innocent and helpful thread turns into bickering and the testosterone level
gets out of control! It's disappointing and such a waste of time, bandwidth
and what could be helpful information.
Monica

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:WOSue.160089$IO.54717@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> Because, Keith, you keep making comments like that without adding any
> value to this group.
>
> No one, even me, disagrees that Dell's support has slipped. This is not a
> useful forum for that discussion because happy people don't come here.
> They come for help. So, no amount of these kinds of posts add any
> statistical
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:21:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I don't believe you actually read either your own post or mine. Your
argument made none of those points. It said you shouldn't buy the extended
warranty because the company made a profit on it. THAT argument was what my
challenge was about.

I make my living in insurance. I know of what I speak.

Tom
"snert" <snert@bowwow.com> wrote in message
news:7ULue.3652$2S.2062@fe03.lga...
> Your comparisons are totally bogus. Losing a car of high value is worth
> the
> cost of insurance. Most people can absorb a computer loss since the
> cost/replacement is low.
>
> Life insurance is meant to make up for lost income or obligations (kids,
> home, etc.). It's a necessity in some cases.
>
> Paying $210 (high % to property value) to "insure" a system that is almost
> worthless in 3 years is just plain nuts unless its a laptop that is
> handled/moved frequently thus vasly increasing the odds of damage and a
> high
> dollar repair.
>
> So by your logic are you suggesting that people should be buying extended
> waranties whenever they are offered?
>
>
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:qPGue.109284$VH2.30929@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>> Yeah, but by that argument you don't need car insurance or life
>> insurance,
>> because they're in the insurance companies favor.
>>
>> Tom
>> "snert" <snert@bowwow.com> wrote in message
>> news:xqGue.7887$xm1.6923@fe06.lga...
>> > Money is better spent on a UPS to protect the system IMO.
>> > And they wouldn't be offering it to you if the odds weren't in their
>> > favor.
>> >
>> > "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
>> > news:m8Fue.38$Zo.13@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>> >> I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions
> :-)
>> >>
>> >> My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for
>> >> 3
>> > more
>> >> years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two years and
>> > could
>> >> even be three.
>> >>
>> >> Not a days trouble the past year.
>> >>
>> >> Good deal? Anyone else took it?
>> >>
>> >> Thanks
>> >> Bill
>> >>
>> >>
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:59:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

William wrote:
> I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions :-)
>
> My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for 3 more
> years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two years and could
> even be three.
>
> Not a days trouble the past year.
>
> Good deal?

Your call, but based on your experience, not such a good deal.

> Anyone else took it?

Nope, not for any computer (although opinions certainly differ regarding
laptops).
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 9:38:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

It might help if you stated your point outright. Some insurance is bogus
(high cost for elderly people who most likely don't need it). Some
insurance is needed. No argument there.

I wouldn't deny a company its profits but these extended warranties are
well known for their high profit for the companies. That can only mean the
property they are covering isn't really failing to the degree that people
think it is, thus people are paying for something they will likely never use
or pay more than they will get back in repairs.


"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:g8Rue.112910$VH2.63846@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> I don't believe you actually read either your own post or mine. Your
> argument made none of those points. It said you shouldn't buy the extended
> warranty because the company made a profit on it. THAT argument was what
my
> challenge was about.
>
> I make my living in insurance. I know of what I speak.
>
> Tom
> "snert" <snert@bowwow.com> wrote in message
> news:7ULue.3652$2S.2062@fe03.lga...
> > Your comparisons are totally bogus. Losing a car of high value is worth
> > the
> > cost of insurance. Most people can absorb a computer loss since the
> > cost/replacement is low.
> >
> > Life insurance is meant to make up for lost income or obligations (kids,
> > home, etc.). It's a necessity in some cases.
> >
> > Paying $210 (high % to property value) to "insure" a system that is
almost
> > worthless in 3 years is just plain nuts unless its a laptop that is
> > handled/moved frequently thus vasly increasing the odds of damage and a
> > high
> > dollar repair.
> >
> > So by your logic are you suggesting that people should be buying
extended
> > waranties whenever they are offered?
> >
> >
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> > news:qPGue.109284$VH2.30929@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> >> Yeah, but by that argument you don't need car insurance or life
> >> insurance,
> >> because they're in the insurance companies favor.
> >>
> >> Tom
> >> "snert" <snert@bowwow.com> wrote in message
> >> news:xqGue.7887$xm1.6923@fe06.lga...
> >> > Money is better spent on a UPS to protect the system IMO.
> >> > And they wouldn't be offering it to you if the odds weren't in their
> >> > favor.
> >> >
> >> > "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
> >> > news:m8Fue.38$Zo.13@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> >> >> I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and
opinions
> > :-)
> >> >>
> >> >> My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell
for
> >> >> 3
> >> > more
> >> >> years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two years
and
> >> > could
> >> >> even be three.
> >> >>
> >> >> Not a days trouble the past year.
> >> >>
> >> >> Good deal? Anyone else took it?
> >> >>
> >> >> Thanks
> >> >> Bill
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 12:53:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Well Irene, that is at least one point we seem to agree.
To add to it, people who insult others for one of a few reasons:
1. Their point is indefensible with reason so insults so they somehow .feel
insults will strengthen their point
2. There may be validity to their point, but they lack the ability to
support their view without using insults with the mistaken idea strength is
added to their point when in fact the insults prove the weakness of the
point.

There are people on both sides guilty of this so this is not directed at
either side.
But if someone wants their view respected, do not insult.
But if your view has no importance, go ahead and insult and show the true
character.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:nXZue.4440$2S.3127@fe03.lga...
> As I have posted numerous times, you and others in this group could
> improve the group substantially if you all would just stop calling people
> names and directing insults at other who come into the group.
> But, based on the history of the regular members of this group, that is
> unlikely to happen.
!