Warranty

I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions :-)

My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for 3 more
years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two years and could
even be three.

Not a days trouble the past year.

Good deal? Anyone else took it?

Thanks
Bill
12 answers Last reply
More about warranty

    You know, of course, that there is no right answer for your question, just
    opinions. Here's mine:

    Under Dell's warranty, you will get the same part, or a functionally
    identical equivalent, as was originally installed in your computer. If a
    piece of hardware fails three years from now, do you want to pay $210 to get
    the very same part or the same technology, given the rapid advances in
    technology that will occur over that time?

    The extended warranty (remember, this is just my opinion) is for the
    technophobe. You've got better things to do with the money.
    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
    > I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions :-)
    >
    > My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for 3
    more
    > years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two years and
    could
    > even be three.
    >
    > Not a days trouble the past year.
    >
    > Good deal? Anyone else took it?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bill

    Money is better spent on a UPS to protect the system IMO.
    And they wouldn't be offering it to you if the odds weren't in their favor.

    "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
    > I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions :-)
    >
    > My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for 3
    more
    > years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two years and
    could
    > even be three.
    >
    > Not a days trouble the past year.
    >
    > Good deal? Anyone else took it?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bill

    "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
    >I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions :-)
    >
    > My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for 3
    > more years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two years and
    > could even be three.
    >
    > Not a days trouble the past year.
    >
    > Good deal? Anyone else took it?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bill

    Thanks for all the advice. I guess outside of the motherboard there isnt
    much of an expense to replace other parts if they fail, especially as Ted
    mentioned Dell not necessarily replacing with current products.

    Thanks again.
    Bill

    "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
    >I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions :-)
    >
    > My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for 3
    > more years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two years and
    > could even be three.
    >
    > Not a days trouble the past year.
    >
    > Good deal? Anyone else took it?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bill

    Well, I wouldn't. What's going to fail? An $80 hard drive? If the
    motherboard fails, then you're out of luck, but I've never had one fail and
    the statistical probability is low.

    I'd buy it for a laptop, but not a desktop.

    Tom

    I second the others. Don't spend $210
    on a service plan. If something fails
    it is most likely going to be a drive
    and CDs/DVDs are cheap these days, even
    hard drives aren't much.

    > "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
    >>I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions
    >>:-)
    >>
    >> My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for
    >> 3 more years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two
    >> years and could even be three.
    >>
    >> Not a days trouble the past year.
    >>
    >> Good deal? Anyone else took it?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Bill
    >>

    > Well, I wouldn't. What's going to fail? An $80 hard drive? If the
    > motherboard fails, then you're out of luck, but I've never had one
    > fail and the statistical probability is low.
    >
    > I'd buy it for a laptop, but not a desktop.
    >
    > Tom

    Yeah, but by that argument you don't need car insurance or life insurance,
    because they're in the insurance companies favor.

    Tom
    "snert" <snert@bowwow.com> wrote in message
    > Money is better spent on a UPS to protect the system IMO.
    > And they wouldn't be offering it to you if the odds weren't in their
    > favor.
    >
    > "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
    >> I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions :-)
    >>
    >> My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for 3
    > more
    >> years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two years and
    > could
    >> even be three.
    >>
    >> Not a days trouble the past year.
    >>
    >> Good deal? Anyone else took it?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Bill

    Your comparisons are totally bogus. Losing a car of high value is worth the
    cost of insurance. Most people can absorb a computer loss since the
    cost/replacement is low.

    Life insurance is meant to make up for lost income or obligations (kids,
    home, etc.). It's a necessity in some cases.

    Paying $210 (high % to property value) to "insure" a system that is almost
    worthless in 3 years is just plain nuts unless its a laptop that is
    handled/moved frequently thus vasly increasing the odds of damage and a high
    dollar repair.

    So by your logic are you suggesting that people should be buying extended
    waranties whenever they are offered?

    > Yeah, but by that argument you don't need car insurance or life insurance,
    > because they're in the insurance companies favor.
    >
    > Tom
    > "snert" <snert@bowwow.com> wrote in message
    > > Money is better spent on a UPS to protect the system IMO.
    > > And they wouldn't be offering it to you if the odds weren't in their
    > > favor.
    > >
    > > "William" <alone@home.com> wrote in message
    > >> I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions
    :-)

    > >> My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for 3
    > > more
    > >> years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two years and
    > > could
    > >> even be three.
    > >>
    > >> Not a days trouble the past year.
    > >>
    > >> Good deal? Anyone else took it?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >> Bill

    I'M HAPPY and I come here :) I'm here to learn. Well, I'm happy till an
    innocent and helpful thread turns into bickering and the testosterone level
    gets out of control! It's disappointing and such a waste of time, bandwidth
    and what could be helpful information.
    Monica

    > Because, Keith, you keep making comments like that without adding any
    > value to this group.
    >
    > No one, even me, disagrees that Dell's support has slipped. This is not a
    > useful forum for that discussion because happy people don't come here.
    > They come for help. So, no amount of these kinds of posts add any
    > statistical

    I don't believe you actually read either your own post or mine. Your
    argument made none of those points. It said you shouldn't buy the extended
    warranty because the company made a profit on it. THAT argument was what my
    challenge was about.

    I make my living in insurance. I know of what I speak.

    William wrote:
    > I already know the answer but just need some reassurance and opinions :-)
    >
    > My 8400 warranty expires next month and I have an offer from Dell for 3 more
    > years @$210 total. I do plan on keeping the PC at least two years and could
    > even be three.
    >
    > Not a days trouble the past year.
    >
    > Good deal?

    Your call, but based on your experience, not such a good deal.

    > Anyone else took it?

    Nope, not for any computer (although opinions certainly differ regarding
    laptops).

    It might help if you stated your point outright. Some insurance is bogus
    (high cost for elderly people who most likely don't need it). Some
    insurance is needed. No argument there.

    I wouldn't deny a company its profits but these extended warranties are
    well known for their high profit for the companies. That can only mean the
    property they are covering isn't really failing to the degree that people
    think it is, thus people are paying for something they will likely never use
    or pay more than they will get back in repairs.

    > I don't believe you actually read either your own post or mine. Your
    > argument made none of those points. It said you shouldn't buy the extended
    > warranty because the company made a profit on it. THAT argument was what
    my
    > challenge was about.
    >
    > I make my living in insurance. I know of what I speak.
    >
    > Tom
    > "snert" <snert@bowwow.com> wrote in message
    > > Your comparisons are totally bogus. Losing a car of high value is worth
    > > the
    > > cost of insurance. Most people can absorb a computer loss since the
    > > cost/replacement is low.
    > >
    > > Life insurance is meant to make up for lost income or obligations (kids,
    > > home, etc.). It's a necessity in some cases.
    > >
    > > Paying $210 (high % to property value) to "insure" a system that is
    almost
    > > worthless in 3 years is just plain nuts unless its a laptop that is
    > > handled/moved frequently thus vasly increasing the odds of damage and a
    > > high
    > > dollar repair.
    > >
    > > So by your logic are you suggesting that people should be buying
    extended
    > > waranties whenever they are offered?
    > >

    > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > >> Yeah, but by that argument you don't need car insurance or life
    > >> insurance,
    > >> because they're in the insurance companies favor.
    > >>
    > >> Tom
    > >> "snert" <snert@bowwow.com> wrote in message

    > > :-)

    Well Irene, that is at least one point we seem to agree.
    To add to it, people who insult others for one of a few reasons:
    1. Their point is indefensible with reason so insults so they somehow .feel
    insults will strengthen their point
    2. There may be validity to their point, but they lack the ability to
    support their view without using insults with the mistaken idea strength is
    added to their point when in fact the insults prove the weakness of the
    point.

    There are people on both sides guilty of this so this is not directed at
    either side.
    But if someone wants their view respected, do not insult.
    But if your view has no importance, go ahead and insult and show the true
    character.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > As I have posted numerous times, you and others in this group could
    > improve the group substantially if you all would just stop calling people
    > names and directing insults at other who come into the group.
    > But, based on the history of the regular members of this group, that is
    > unlikely to happen.

Dell Computers