Sign in with
Your question

Explorer.exe - Application Error

Last response: in Windows XP
November 28, 2003 10:35:13 PM

I am running WinXp and lately I've been getting the following eror messages:

Eplorer.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x77f57ec4" referenced memory at "0x00000067". The memory could not be "written".

and sometimes followed by:

The exception unkown software exception (0xc015000f) occurred in the application at locatio 0x77f6fca7

These errors occur randomly (typically it's just the first error) and explorer would subsequently crash... any ideas as to what's going on? Thanks.

IronHell
November 29, 2003 6:07:52 AM

<<any ideas as to what's going on?>>

Yes, there is one - you are running the "Microsoft Windows XP".

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
November 29, 2003 5:09:58 PM

Did you do an upgrade to XP? Honestly a system restore will not help you much. Have you also done a full virus scan? Also run a diskcheck to check the file structures, directory integrity, and check for bad sectors.

This could also be a factor of software corruption. Machines that has been OCed too much could produced this or bad ram. Maybe bad cache on the CPU too. May wanna do the memtest86 for giggles.

Also is your commit charge lower than your physical memory, you can look this up in the task manager.

Also Download spybot- search and destroy to see what you got in there screwing you up. I've had some spyware that would not let me update windows and some that would crash IE.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!
Related resources
November 29, 2003 7:14:35 PM

I used to get the same errors, so I changed my RAM to it's stock clock rate. This seems really like a hardware issue (the computer gets wrong stuff when accessing RAM (those numbers are all addresses in the memory in HEX), and the fact that they happen randomly. Run memcheck and try taking out each one of your memory sticks at a time to see if problem continues. As last resort and if you know what you're doing, increase VDDR (if you don't know what this is, don't).

----------
I'm a nuclear reactor cooling system programmer, if you see me running, it's probably already too late.
November 29, 2003 7:34:32 PM

Hmm, well, my commit charge is half of my physical memory...

I did a check disk with Norton Ghost and found out that I have some "bad sectors" would this be what's causing the problem? This sucks goats, I had my hd fail an year ago... and now it's doing it again! Any ideas how I may rescue this hard drive? I've tried chkdsk w/ fix but the bad sector still shows up. Thanks.

IronHell
November 29, 2003 8:08:25 PM

Bad sectors would stimulate your issue very much. I belive that norton disk doctor may help you but once a sector is bad, it has to be quarantined or do a low level format. At this point Id just low-level format the HD and reinstall. When a sector goes bad, the data goes bad too. I do not think that your swap file hit that sector yet of you would have all sorts of wierd crashes and errors. Not much one could do when you get a bad sector except bitch at the HD manfactuer.

November 29, 2003 8:35:42 PM

And bitch I will... what causes bad sectors anyway? Thanks.
November 29, 2003 8:44:02 PM

Typically wear&tear would casue it..

November 29, 2003 8:44:53 PM

bloody hell... so the gist I get is I'll be needing to replace my had once every what? 2 years?
November 29, 2003 9:15:50 PM

Not really, lots of variables play into bad sectors such as quality of the drive, frenquncy of use, and any pending issues with the IDE controller on the mobo. But id say that they last on the average of 5 years but they supposed to last 10 years. Most people end up upgrading their system before they encounter this unless there was a defect. Ive only had one HD dish me a bad sector so far... If you get a bad sector its not the end of the world, just lose a portion of space you can push in. Im still using that same HD that has a bad sector cause it wasnt big enough to bitch.

November 29, 2003 9:17:11 PM

Hmm, how do u quarantine the bad sectors? I mean, I've run chkdsk over and over again and nothing seems to happen... Thanks.
December 1, 2003 2:36:11 AM

I use norton disk doctor 2003 and does it when I do that surface test. Could check with Symantec's support site for more info on this, would give you url but I gotta go to bed now..

December 1, 2003 6:24:04 AM

get you a wipe boot disk and run it like 7 times it will get rid of bad sectors. just 1's and 0's remember??? fdisk then reformat then wipeboot(7times) and there ya go.

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apostalic Alcoholic.}=-</A>
December 2, 2003 3:48:06 AM

Actually, if the platters themselves have suffered damage, especially due to wear over time, the standard method to mark the bad sectors is to obtain a disk utility from the device manufacturer and run a low level format. Afterwards, test the disk with the same utility, and check for errors.

This kind of LLF only writes zeros and ones to the disk, and isn't the kind of format used at a factory. It's really more of a "medium" level format.

If a bad sector is only a part of the file system, a standard format of the partition should remove the problem.

A disk utility run in Windows rarely can mark physically bad sectors with any real success. I've seen Norton disk utilities freeze a system and wipe out entire partitions of data when encountering a physically bad sector, despite claims to the contrary by the company. I've also never heard of needing to wipe a disk seven times to remove bad sectors, either. But to each his own, I suppose. That certainly should remove the data.

Many bad sectors are an indication that the drive is failing. Testing the drive with the disk utility should show a report if this is the case. But errors in a file system are really nothing odd, and it's usually a fairly easy proposition just to move around the data, or back it up on CD, format the partition that contains the errors, and then move the data back.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>
December 2, 2003 2:34:10 PM

<""I've also never heard of needing to wipe a disk seven times to remove bad sectors"">

lol, the guy was exaggerating a little, it is not 7 times, but 6.75 times would do it just fine ;) >

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
!