Configuring Wireless for my desktop

justin_02

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Hi Friends,

I need to configure my network. However I am not sure what authentician protocol should I use. Can some body pelase let me know if I should use WPA-TKIP,WEP(128 BIT),GZIP or WPA-AES or any other.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Justin

devonh

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Let me give you a little background so that you can better understand what security method is best for you. WEP (Wired Equivalency Protocol) was made when wireless security was not a huge issue. It was supposed to have the same protection as a wired based solution but sadly this was not so. They then developed WPA (Wifi Protected Access) in order to fix the problems associated with WEP. There is also another authentication protocol on most modern home routers called WPA2 which is an improved version of WPA. If you have WPA2 Personal on your router i would highly recommend using that accompanied by a password that contains capital letters, lower case letters, numbers, and symbols in order to add that extra layer of protection. The more complex the password the more secure you are. if your router does not have WPA2 then just use WPA with the same recommended password complexity.