Sign in with
Your question

geforce2mx/driver serious issue need help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2001 6:04:22 AM

hi, im new here and was wondering if you guys could help me solve this problem.
I recently got a new geforce 2 mx400 (Asus) to run on my old dell pentium II, replacing a TNT (which worked fine) and i have had nothing but trouble. Firstly, when installing the detonator 23.11's the computer will begin to run 3dmark (as in work fine for a while), but will always crash soon after and reboot. This happens with all my games as well. I installed and reinstalled using all different methods, as well as trying the 21.83's and the windows drivers with no success. The drivers that came with the GPU wont even install and i constantly see messages like "your computer has recovered from a serious error"(im running windows XP)
This is very annoying because i cant even play anything without it crashing. Does anyone have any suggestions??
Thanks
December 26, 2001 9:03:43 AM

Which motherboard, powersupply, CPU, PCI-cards do you have?
And check if your CPU and case temps aren't to high, between 40-50 or lower is the best.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2001 9:51:49 AM

Well..i am really not that computer smart so i dont know which PCI cards or powersupply i have nor have i got any idea how to tell the temps of my comp, but its a pentium2 448Mhz with an intel se440BX motherboard and how the hell would the GPU be running to hot when its brand new and not overclocked.
Related resources
December 26, 2001 10:07:32 AM

If the temps inside your case are very high, the temp of the GPU will also increase.
Maybe if you flash your BIOS with the newest version a conflict between the motherboard and the video card is fixed, check your manual to see how to do this.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2001 10:15:37 AM

Ok, i updated my bios to the newest version, which didnt seem to do anything. Also i opened the case of my computer and put the biggest fan in the house right over the GPU as well as turning on the air conditioner. I ran 3dmark2001 while feeling how hot it was in which it seemed warm. BUT THE DAMN THING STILL CRASHED AND REBOOTED like it always did. Another peculiar thing was when i did the coolbits thing it didnt even know the core clock or memory clock of my GPU??
Ive tried everything i know of (which isnt much) and am left clueless
December 26, 2001 10:37:03 AM

Check if you don't have any resource (ie. IRQ) problems.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2001 10:41:29 AM

umm..according to device manager, it says there are no conflicts.
December 26, 2001 10:49:58 AM

I still think it's a power related issue, you can check how much Watt your powersupply is, it's often written on it somewhere.

December 26, 2001 10:52:01 AM

And is your card running at AGP 4x or AGP 2x (check in your BIOS), I don't know if that card can run at AGP 2x. I Will take a look at Asus website.

December 26, 2001 10:56:17 AM

It seems to support both AGP 2x as 4x.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2001 10:58:24 AM

Written where? all i can see is 230volts next to the plug connected to the CPU. Also, if it s a power problem is it cause theres not enough/ too much power and how would i fix it? Do i need to buy the "right" power supply?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2001 11:13:14 AM

Unfortunately my bios doesnt even give me an option of changing the AGP bus, anywhere, and i do have the latest bios for my computer, which is a dell.
December 26, 2001 3:58:26 PM

Maybe there is a label somewhere on the powersupply at the inside, but I don't know if Dell places labels at such components.
Maybe you can test the card in an other PC to see if it gives the same problems, if so you might have a bad card.

December 26, 2001 9:29:54 PM

I had this same problem. I am running a GeForce2 MX100 under Windows XP and everytime I would exit Dark Age of Camelot, my system would reboot. I did a little research and it is indeed a driver issue. I have since installed the 21.88 drivers (currently available on the nVidia website) and it has cleared up all the problems.
!