XP Home locks up during log on

Hi Ladies and gents, hopefully someone can point me ni the right direction
as this isn't the first time I've seen this and I haven't had much luck
googling.

Anyway, the problem is specifically with Windows XP Home and users logging
on. They click on their user, the OS beging to boot and get to the bare
desktop but no further.

O/S seems to have hung like a donkey.

Anyway, pointers:
1) There's no icons on screen, you just see the desk top background.
2) There's no active apps, but a heck of a lot of processes. None of which
seem to be out of the ordinary
3) The system is running on cable - common theme. The smoking gun. I think
the comp got jacked, however there's barely a chalk outline to prove this.
4) Norton AV - another common theme.
5) In the cases I've seen, they've also ran spybot prior to the system
keeling over

Can't think of any more at this stage, have only five ours sleeps last
night.

Originally, I thought it was a screwed up profile. I got into the system and
created a new profile, log out and back in as the new profile and it still
happened.

The other theory I've got is just a stick of dodgy RAM.

I've made a note in my log to check this if it happens again.

Any advice appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ka Kwok

--
Men's rights in a relationship:

Can you boot to Safe mode? F8 key during boot up process.