cpl_tunnel

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Here's my system:

P4 @ 1500Mhz
Intel D850GB mobo
256MB PC800 RDRAM
ASUS V8200 T2 (GeForce3 Ti200, 64MB DDR...using newest Detonator drivers)
WinXP Home

Running at 1024x768x16, with all the options set as low as they'll go, I've been getting scores just under 4000 consistently. Having compared scores with the ORB, I should be getting twice that with my system. Anyone have any ideas? I've been to tweakxp and followed their instructions for monkeying with my services.msc file, and I don't have any extraneous programs loading. I'm also running Cacheman 5.0, and have used SiSoft Sandra to optimize things. If anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate hearing them. Thanks.

Tweaker Fidelis, DIY or die

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Wow! That's an awful score! I get that with my overclocked GeForce2MX-400. Obviously something is not right. What version of the Detonator Drivers are you using exactly 23.11 or 21.83? If you are using 23.11 try returning back to 21.83. I don't know what else I can offer....hmmm, you should be running at 1024*768*32 and everything at default and still get twice what you are getting now. Very strange....

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
its his cpu heh.

Actually, those are piss poor scores, check your bios to make sure everything is set properly and make sure your agp apeture is set to 128 or higher.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I've got a P4 1.7 on a bl***y f****ng i845 motherboard (moving to a Sis 645 whe I can afford it with a Radeon 7500. I wonder, if I get a score of 3900 on 3d mARK, is that okay. I was hoping for something a bit better since my twin p3 800 witha gf2 Mx score 2100.

Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.

cpl_tunnel

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Well, I've tried both 21.83 and 23.11, and the newest drivers from ASUS...no change. I've tweaked just about everything I can think of, but still nothing. I guess it's not that big a deal...the score is crap but the system seems to run just fine in games...Return to Wolfenstein, AvP2, etc. run great, even with graphics options maxed. Heh...even the new EverQuest stuff runs pretty decently. I'll just keep plodding along and wait for the smoke to come billowing out the DVD drive...

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If your scores are off by 50% or more of what they should be I am pretty certain your AGP is not working properly.

Did you load the chipset drivers for your motherboard?

Get the Intel chipset driver utility below.

<A HREF="http://developer.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/inf.htm" target="_new">http://developer.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/inf.htm</A>

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

cpl_tunnel

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Come to think of it...I can't remember if I loaded the chipset drivers after I migrated to XP or not. I know I did when I was still running Win98SE. I'll give this a try when I get home. Thanks for the suggestion.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Make sure that you have AGP 4X enabled in the Bios. With those scores, you could be running as low as 1X

Trollin', Trollin', Trollin'
Get them posts a goin'
My fingers are swullen
Rawhide!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
With a Radeon 7500? That sounds close to being right. The bigger bottleneck in your system is you Videocard, not the mem (That's a close second though).

Trollin', Trollin', Trollin'
Get them posts a goin'
My fingers are swullen
Rawhide!

cpl_tunnel

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Well, here's the situation so far: I've installed the Chipset drivers for the board, but no change on my score. The only settings for my AGP aperture are 64 and 256, as far as I can tell there is no way of shadowing the BIOS (though Sandra says there is), and I'm finding no switch (in BIOS or jumpers on the board) to change AGP settings though the manual says it's compatible with 2X and 4X cards. Gonna do some digging on Intel's website to see if I can find something there.

cpl_tunnel

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Common sense tells me to agree with you, but there's that something nagging at the back of my mind that won't let me let it go till it's fixed. :tongue: Anyway...I did some more digging and I think the problem stems from Intel's goofy Ultra ATA/Application Accelerator debacle. Somewhere along the line I think I must have installed this stuff incorrectly, and now my registry is so gummed up there's little hope of fixing it. My four-day weekend project is to make backups and wipe the drive, reinstall Windows from scratch, and complain as little as possible once the system is operational again.