Video Card Install Problems

G

I am trying to install Geforce 2 II MX PCI on my Compaq Deskpro. I removed the ATI Rage AGP card that came with the system. When I try to boot up with the new GF2 card the system beeps 3 times and just stays there. I have looked in the bios for anything referring to AGP or ATi but unable to find anything

Is there anyone that can help me out with this. I know some guys or gals had to have done this successfully on a compaq box.

G

Did u delete all of the ATI drivers before u installed your new card, sometimes if u dont your old drivers (ATI) will cause problems with the new GF card. Make sure all of the old drivers are deleted.

G

I haven't done that yet. But how would the drivers play a part in the very start of the boot.

G

The video is the first thing your computer looks for in bootup, if the drivers from your ati card are still there and u have a nvidia card in there then it COULD cause this error that your having.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your video card should not cause your BIOS post test to beep. Even drivers cannot effect that.

You might want to update BIOS, check to make sure you have AGP 4x enabled and play with "plug and play OS" setting.

I have never seen video drivers cause bios beep codes to sound. Its something else.

G

I've had similar experiences. Unplug the new card for now. Then, using the old card, change the driver to the stand vga drivers. Then, go to device manager, click displayer adapters, and click the card. From there, click "disable this in the hardware profile" and unclick "exists in all profiles." Once you've done that, go back to device manager and "remove the card." Shut the computer down, then put in the new card, then boot up. It should boot up with the new card. If it detects the old card, then just click cancel when it asks to install it. If this keeps happening, let it install, then go to device manager, check and uncheck the things i mentioned earlier, but don't "remove" it. If you can't get the new card to work at all, check your bios settings and see if you can disable it. If that doesn't work, then find a manual to your motherboard and see if there are any jumpers you can enable/disable.

I hope this helps - if you have more questions, just ask.

G

I've had similar experiences. Unplug the new card for now. Then, using the old card, change the driver to the stand vga drivers. Then, go to device manager, click displayer adapters, and click the card. From there, click "disable this in the hardware profile" and unclick "exists in all profiles." Once you've done that, go back to device manager and "remove the card." Shut the computer down, then put in the new card, then boot up. It should boot up with the new card. If it detects the old card, then just click cancel when it asks to install it. If this keeps happening, let it install, then go to device manager, check and uncheck the things i mentioned earlier, but don't "remove" it. If you can't get the new card to work at all, check your bios settings and see if you can disable it. If that doesn't work, then find a manual to your motherboard and see if there are any jumpers you can enable/disable.

I hope this helps - if you have more questions, just ask.