  • Computers
  • System Restore
  • Windows XP
August 27, 2005 12:19:02 PM

I used system restore and it just seemed to freeze, so I turned off the
computer and rebooted it. When it came back on it appered to be restored but
when I tried to open up My Documents, Control Panel, etc. the screen just
clears off al the icons and task bar and then comes back--in other
words--nothing will open! Also, IE won't open which means my MSN will not
work as it should. I also cannot open System Restore from the accessories,
so I cannot restore my system to where it was before I screwed it up. I went
into Safe Mode but do not have that much computer knowledge to mess around in
there. Can someone help me get me computer back to where it was just a few
days ago?

Thanks.

More about : system restore failure

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 2:43:06 PM

J,
When you use System Restore to restore to an earlier point, you have to have *plenty* (plenty) of patience. If you thought it was "frozen", it was not. It is not finished; not until it shows you an explecit message that it has completed.

Unfortunatly, (and ovious) the power-off left things in a very questionable state. You need to go slow. Restart pc, do the F8 tap at bootup (repeat tap F8) so you can select Safe mode again. Once logged in, go back to System Restore from menus, select restore, and go to an "earlier" known good date.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

jmcmanus221 wrote:
> I used system restore and it just seemed to freeze, so I turned off
> the computer and rebooted it. When it came back on it appered to be
> restored but when I tried to open up My Documents, Control Panel,
> etc. the screen just clears off al the icons and task bar and then
> comes back--in other words--nothing will open! Also, IE won't open
> which means my MSN will not work as it should. I also cannot open
> System Restore from the accessories, so I cannot restore my system to
> where it was before I screwed it up. I went into Safe Mode but do
> not have that much computer knowledge to mess around in there. Can
> someone help me get me computer back to where it was just a few days
> ago?
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 2:43:07 PM

I've been in Sake Mode, is it the line that says restore to an earlier
configuration?

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> J,
> When you use System Restore to restore to an earlier point, you have to have *plenty* (plenty) of patience. If you thought it was "frozen", it was not. It is not finished; not until it shows you an explecit message that it has completed.
>
> Unfortunatly, (and ovious) the power-off left things in a very questionable state. You need to go slow. Restart pc, do the F8 tap at bootup (repeat tap F8) so you can select Safe mode again. Once logged in, go back to System Restore from menus, select restore, and go to an "earlier" known good date.
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>

> jmcmanus221 wrote:
> > I used system restore and it just seemed to freeze, so I turned off
> > the computer and rebooted it. When it came back on it appered to be
> > restored but when I tried to open up My Documents, Control Panel,
> > etc. the screen just clears off al the icons and task bar and then
> > comes back--in other words--nothing will open! Also, IE won't open
> > which means my MSN will not work as it should. I also cannot open
> > System Restore from the accessories, so I cannot restore my system to
> > where it was before I screwed it up. I went into Safe Mode but do
> > not have that much computer knowledge to mess around in there. Can
> > someone help me get me computer back to where it was just a few days
> > ago?
> >
> > Thanks.

August 27, 2005 2:56:17 PM

Yes. The option titled "Restore my computer to an earlier time".

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

jmcmanus221 wrote:
> I've been in Sake Mode, is it the line that says restore to an earlier
> configuration?
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> J,
>> When you use System Restore to restore to an earlier point, you have
>> to have *plenty* (plenty) of patience. If you thought it was
>> "frozen", it was not. It is not finished; not until it shows you
>> an explecit message that it has completed.
>>
>> Unfortunatly, (and ovious) the power-off left things in a very
>> questionable state. You need to go slow. Restart pc, do the F8 tap
>> at bootup (repeat tap F8) so you can select Safe mode again. Once
>> logged in, go back to System Restore from menus, select restore, and
>> go to an "earlier" known good date.
>>
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>

>> jmcmanus221 wrote:
>>> I used system restore and it just seemed to freeze, so I turned off
>>> the computer and rebooted it. When it came back on it appered to be
>>> restored but when I tried to open up My Documents, Control Panel,
>>> etc. the screen just clears off al the icons and task bar and then
>>> comes back--in other words--nothing will open! Also, IE won't open
>>> which means my MSN will not work as it should. I also cannot open
>>> System Restore from the accessories, so I cannot restore my system
>>> to where it was before I screwed it up. I went into Safe Mode but
>>> do not have that much computer knowledge to mess around in there.
>>> Can someone help me get me computer back to where it was just a few
>>> days ago?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 3:04:02 PM

Yes, I tried that and it still does not work. Any other suggestions?

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Yes. The option titled "Restore my computer to an earlier time".
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>

> jmcmanus221 wrote:
> > I've been in Sake Mode, is it the line that says restore to an earlier
> > configuration?
> >
> > "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> J,
> >> When you use System Restore to restore to an earlier point, you have
> >> to have *plenty* (plenty) of patience. If you thought it was
> >> "frozen", it was not. It is not finished; not until it shows you
> >> an explecit message that it has completed.
> >>
> >> Unfortunatly, (and ovious) the power-off left things in a very
> >> questionable state. You need to go slow. Restart pc, do the F8 tap
> >> at bootup (repeat tap F8) so you can select Safe mode again. Once
> >> logged in, go back to System Restore from menus, select restore, and
> >> go to an "earlier" known good date.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Maurice N
> >> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> >> -----

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 6:51:39 PM

"jmcmanus221" <jmcmanus221@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I used system restore and it just seemed to freeze, so I turned off the
>computer and rebooted it. When it came back on it appered to be restored but
>when I tried to open up My Documents, Control Panel, etc. the screen just
>clears off al the icons and task bar and then comes back--in other
>words--nothing will open! Also, IE won't open which means my MSN will not
>work as it should. I also cannot open System Restore from the accessories,
>so I cannot restore my system to where it was before I screwed it up. I went
>into Safe Mode but do not have that much computer knowledge to mess around in
>there. Can someone help me get me computer back to where it was just a few
>days ago?
>
>Thanks.

See MVP Bert Kinney's System Restore pages:
http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--