Satellite Internet - Dlink 624... cannot connect

I have a machine running Windows XP Home that connects to the internet via
dialup (land line) for upstream and satellite for downstream (USB modem
connected). Works very well.

I have a Dlink 624 wireless router which allows other users to access
drives, printers etc.

I now want to have the wireless laptop access the internet and I cannot
remember how to make this happen. W2k on the laptop can see all the drives
on the XP machine, use the printer but no see the internet.

Please can someone steer me in the correct direction step by step

Thanks!

Pete

Painless

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

who makes your satellite system?

Try this:

Install a wifi nic on the xp box
Enable ICS on the XP box
Tell the clients to pick up an ip address automatically
tell Internet explorer on the clients that the xp box is the proxy server.

This worked for us using a similar system

"Peter Allen" <lurch357@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a machine running Windows XP Home that connects to the internet via
> dialup (land line) for upstream and satellite for downstream (USB modem
> connected). Works very well.
>
> I have a Dlink 624 wireless router which allows other users to access
> drives, printers etc.
>
> I now want to have the wireless laptop access the internet and I cannot
> remember how to make this happen. W2k on the laptop can see all the
drives
> on the XP machine, use the printer but no see the internet.
>
> Please can someone steer me in the correct direction step by step
>
> Thanks!
>
> Pete

Why do you configure the clients to use the XP box as a proxy server?

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.