DVD sloooow read performance

I can write 2.5 GB to am 8X DVD-R in 10 min. (using Roxio 7), but if
I try to copy that DVD-R to my HD, it takes 2-3 hrs! I imagine the slow
read performance could be greatly improved by increasing the no. of read
buffers (to minimize lost revolutions), but I can't find anywhere in Win
XP Home to do that (I haven't resorted to Regedit yet), and I can't find
anything in Windows Help (including Internet articles) on the subject
relevant to XP. Can some kind soul point me to relevant info about this?
I've seen this problem on 3 different relatively new systems (all
that I've tried); my current configuration is:
- 3.2 GHz Intel P4 CPU with HT
- Win XP Home (all applicable updates applied)
- 1024 MB dual-channel DDR3200 RAM (2 DIMMs)
- 10,000 RPM 36 GB boot drive
- 7200 RPM 120 GB D: drive
- 16X DVD-ROM drive
- 8X dual-format DVD burner
TIA
3 answers Last reply
More about sloooow read performance

    What type of files are you trying to copy and are you copying directly to
    the hard drive or using a 3rd party application?

    "Hula Baloo" wrote:

    > I can write 2.5 GB to am 8X DVD-R in 10 min. (using Roxio 7), but if
    > I try to copy that DVD-R to my HD, it takes 2-3 hrs! I imagine the slow
    > read performance could be greatly improved by increasing the no. of read
    > buffers (to minimize lost revolutions), but I can't find anywhere in Win
    > XP Home to do that (I haven't resorted to Regedit yet), and I can't find
    > anything in Windows Help (including Internet articles) on the subject
    > relevant to XP. Can some kind soul point me to relevant info about this?
    > I've seen this problem on 3 different relatively new systems (all
    > that I've tried); my current configuration is:
    > - 3.2 GHz Intel P4 CPU with HT
    > - Win XP Home (all applicable updates applied)
    > - 1024 MB dual-channel DDR3200 RAM (2 DIMMs)
    > - 10,000 RPM 36 GB boot drive
    > - 7200 RPM 120 GB D: drive
    > - 16X DVD-ROM drive
    > - 8X dual-format DVD burner
    > TIA

    The DVD contains an image of a friend's Windows 98 hard drive with
    all the files & folders associated, so it has about 22,000 individual
    files, some large, some small. I'm copying it using copy and paste from
    Windows (XP) Explorer. I also tried it using XCOPY from the command
    prompt; this took about an hr., using copy/paste from Win Explorer takes
    2-3 hrs.

    jerryrock wrote:
    > What type of files are you trying to copy and are you copying directly to
    > the hard drive or using a 3rd party application?
    >
    > "Hula Baloo" wrote:
    >

    >> I can write 2.5 GB to am 8X DVD-R in 10 min. (using Roxio 7), but if
    >>I try to copy that DVD-R to my HD, it takes 2-3 hrs! I imagine the slow
    >>read performance could be greatly improved by increasing the no. of read
    >>buffers (to minimize lost revolutions), but I can't find anywhere in Win
    >>XP Home to do that (I haven't resorted to Regedit yet), and I can't find
    >>anything in Windows Help (including Internet articles) on the subject
    >>relevant to XP. Can some kind soul point me to relevant info about this?
    >> I've seen this problem on 3 different relatively new systems (all
    >>that I've tried); my current configuration is:
    >>- 3.2 GHz Intel P4 CPU with HT
    >>- Win XP Home (all applicable updates applied)
    >>- 1024 MB dual-channel DDR3200 RAM (2 DIMMs)
    >>- 10,000 RPM 36 GB boot drive
    >>- 7200 RPM 120 GB D: drive
    >>- 16X DVD-ROM drive
    >>- 8X dual-format DVD burner
    >>TIA

    Shenan,
    Thanks for the suggestion; it improved copy time from 2-3 hrs. to 48
    min. A very significant improvement, but still roughly 5 times slower
    than it takes to write the DVD. Obviously XP is not buffering the DVD
    reads very well. Isn't there a way to assign more read buffers? If
    not, there sure is a NEED for a way. I don't like registry hacks, but
    would welcome one for this, if that's the only way.
    Hula

    Shenan Stanley wrote:

    > Hula Baloo wrote:
    >
    >> The DVD contains an image of a friend's Windows 98 hard drive with
    >>all the files & folders associated, so it has about 22,000 individual
    >>files, some large, some small. I'm copying it using copy and paste
    >>from Windows (XP) Explorer. I also tried it using XCOPY from the
    >>command prompt; this took about an hr., using copy/paste from Win
    >>Explorer takes 2-3 hrs.
    >

    > Turn off your Virus Scanner while doing it (Not REALLY recommended, but - it
    > will scan each file as you copy it otherwise.)

Performance Windows XP