Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DVD sloooow read performance

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 4:04:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I can write 2.5 GB to am 8X DVD-R in 10 min. (using Roxio 7), but if
I try to copy that DVD-R to my HD, it takes 2-3 hrs! I imagine the slow
read performance could be greatly improved by increasing the no. of read
buffers (to minimize lost revolutions), but I can't find anywhere in Win
XP Home to do that (I haven't resorted to Regedit yet), and I can't find
anything in Windows Help (including Internet articles) on the subject
relevant to XP. Can some kind soul point me to relevant info about this?
I've seen this problem on 3 different relatively new systems (all
that I've tried); my current configuration is:
- 3.2 GHz Intel P4 CPU with HT
- Win XP Home (all applicable updates applied)
- 1024 MB dual-channel DDR3200 RAM (2 DIMMs)
- 10,000 RPM 36 GB boot drive
- 7200 RPM 120 GB D: drive
- 16X DVD-ROM drive
- 8X dual-format DVD burner
TIA
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:19:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

What type of files are you trying to copy and are you copying directly to
the hard drive or using a 3rd party application?

"Hula Baloo" wrote:

> I can write 2.5 GB to am 8X DVD-R in 10 min. (using Roxio 7), but if
> I try to copy that DVD-R to my HD, it takes 2-3 hrs! I imagine the slow
> read performance could be greatly improved by increasing the no. of read
> buffers (to minimize lost revolutions), but I can't find anywhere in Win
> XP Home to do that (I haven't resorted to Regedit yet), and I can't find
> anything in Windows Help (including Internet articles) on the subject
> relevant to XP. Can some kind soul point me to relevant info about this?
> I've seen this problem on 3 different relatively new systems (all
> that I've tried); my current configuration is:
> - 3.2 GHz Intel P4 CPU with HT
> - Win XP Home (all applicable updates applied)
> - 1024 MB dual-channel DDR3200 RAM (2 DIMMs)
> - 10,000 RPM 36 GB boot drive
> - 7200 RPM 120 GB D: drive
> - 16X DVD-ROM drive
> - 8X dual-format DVD burner
> TIA
>
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 2:20:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The DVD contains an image of a friend's Windows 98 hard drive with
all the files & folders associated, so it has about 22,000 individual
files, some large, some small. I'm copying it using copy and paste from
Windows (XP) Explorer. I also tried it using XCOPY from the command
prompt; this took about an hr., using copy/paste from Win Explorer takes
2-3 hrs.

jerryrock wrote:
> What type of files are you trying to copy and are you copying directly to
> the hard drive or using a 3rd party application?
>
> "Hula Baloo" wrote:
>
>
>> I can write 2.5 GB to am 8X DVD-R in 10 min. (using Roxio 7), but if
>>I try to copy that DVD-R to my HD, it takes 2-3 hrs! I imagine the slow
>>read performance could be greatly improved by increasing the no. of read
>>buffers (to minimize lost revolutions), but I can't find anywhere in Win
>>XP Home to do that (I haven't resorted to Regedit yet), and I can't find
>>anything in Windows Help (including Internet articles) on the subject
>>relevant to XP. Can some kind soul point me to relevant info about this?
>> I've seen this problem on 3 different relatively new systems (all
>>that I've tried); my current configuration is:
>>- 3.2 GHz Intel P4 CPU with HT
>>- Win XP Home (all applicable updates applied)
>>- 1024 MB dual-channel DDR3200 RAM (2 DIMMs)
>>- 10,000 RPM 36 GB boot drive
>>- 7200 RPM 120 GB D: drive
>>- 16X DVD-ROM drive
>>- 8X dual-format DVD burner
>>TIA
>>
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 5:32:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Shenan,
Thanks for the suggestion; it improved copy time from 2-3 hrs. to 48
min. A very significant improvement, but still roughly 5 times slower
than it takes to write the DVD. Obviously XP is not buffering the DVD
reads very well. Isn't there a way to assign more read buffers? If
not, there sure is a NEED for a way. I don't like registry hacks, but
would welcome one for this, if that's the only way.
Hula

Shenan Stanley wrote:

> Hula Baloo wrote:
>
>> The DVD contains an image of a friend's Windows 98 hard drive with
>>all the files & folders associated, so it has about 22,000 individual
>>files, some large, some small. I'm copying it using copy and paste
>>from Windows (XP) Explorer. I also tried it using XCOPY from the
>>command prompt; this took about an hr., using copy/paste from Win
>>Explorer takes 2-3 hrs.
>
>
> Turn off your Virus Scanner while doing it (Not REALLY recommended, but - it
> will scan each file as you copy it otherwise.)
>
!