Apple Patents Putting Ads Into the OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlux

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Good Lord, it's bad enough that every website on the internet is basically flooded with ads on the top, bottom, sides, pop ups, pop outs, and whatever else they use on the page, but now they want me to see ads before I'm bombarded with them?

Where does this end? Sorry but no thanks, I'd pay full price for an OS before this ridiculousness.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
ubuntu anyone ? pure computing ! it runs Godspeed on my pentium 4 2.4 ghz , 512 ddr1 333 ram and 80 gb sata hdd and compiz fuzion on an old nvidia 6600 agp 4x. no ads , no viruses , i use it for online banking exclusivel y . but yes i took a while to get used to linux environment !

dedhorse

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Awesome, Apple rules. Cause our lives aren't filled with enough annoying morons trying to sell us crap, lets pile on more.

"...but such an ad-supported system could lead to more affordable public internet terminals and kiosks."

Lol, cause there are no free OS's today, right? L.I.N.U... Someone finish the rest, I'm tired.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
Apple is the devil.

You will first need to pay the apple tax to get their hardware, just to have the privilege of having your computer show you ads. Good luck with that.

Good thing they patented it, wouldn't want others getting a hold of your ridiculous idea.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I do not believe Apple will ever put ads in their OS. This will probably go in the vault to be pulled out later to troll any competing OS that tries to support itself with ads. In other words, some guy on the patent team looked at the obvious and sent in a patent to see if it would be accepted.

G

"could lead to more affordable public internet terminals and kiosks"

Linux?

i_like_pie

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
yup, we see enough advertisements in our daily lives - how about those hyperlinks that are tagged onto random words on a page!!! It's like navigating a mine field!

crazymech

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I think it's a great idea. If I could try out OSX (or Windows) for free in exchange to having an add cover my wallpaper every once in a while, I'd definitly give it a go! the company would earn money, and if the product was good I'll probably buy it to get a full copy without ads after a while.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Yeah but when commercials pop up during shows I can change channels I can't just change OS's because you can't have a Mac virtual machine. Its bad enough that I have to deal with crappy advertisements that pop up when I'm trying to read an article or waiting to go to a site but I can get away from it by clicking away. This sounds like it wont let you do that...

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Wow....and we are not supposed to hate Macs?

Among other disclosures, an operating system presents one or more advertisements to a user and disables one or more functions while the advertisement is being presented. At the end of the advertisement, the operating system again enables the function(s). The advertisement can be visual or audible. The presentation of the advertisement(s) can be made as part of an approach where the user obtains a good or service, such as the operating system, for free or at reduced cost.

So you can be working or whatever on your computer; then have to stop what you are doing and listen/watch the advertisement before you can continue using whatever program that was interrupted.

Am I reading this right?

If Apple actually implements this; I think it will be settled that Apple is NOT providing competition to the other vendors and Microsoft, but rather leading the way for making the computer restrictive and expensive for the user.

G

I guess Apple is really trying to give people a legitimate reason to despise them now.

I for one, would never stoop to using an Ad supported Operating System.

As another user put it, I would rather pay Full Price for it.

All this is going to do is open the flood gates for the Hackers to openly start hacking OS-X and not only that, but it's going to provide an extra push to the OSx86 project.

So what we'll start seeing is More OS-X (Hacked) running on Intel (non-Apple) Systems.

Let the Rebellion Begin!!!

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
This is what passes for innovation at Apple? And their fanbois have the audacity to denote Microsoft as "M$"?! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. And, they patented that piece of crap of an idea?!

This is so inane, that perhaps we shouldn't rush to judgement until the other shoe drops. I can only hope they patented this to prevent others from doing it (maybe cheap linux competition?), although I am fearful that might be naive. We'll see. I will say that any company that did this would immediately go on my "Do Not Buy" list.

mustwarnothers

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Fuck over advertising.

I think Banksy says it best:

* People are taking the piss out of you everyday. They butt into your life, take a cheap shot at you and then disappear. They leer at you from tall buildings and make you feel small. They make flippant comments from buses that imply you're not sexy enough and that all the fun is happening somewhere else. They are on TV making your girlfriend feel inadequate. They have access to the most sophisticated technology the world has ever seen and they bully you with it. They are The Advertisers and they are laughing at you.

You, however, are forbidden to touch them. Trademarks, intellectual property rights and copyright law mean advertisers can say what they like wherever they like with total impunity.

Fuck that. Any advert in a public space that gives you no choice whether you see it or not is yours. It's yours to take, re-arrange and re-use. You can do whatever you like with it.

Asking for permission is like asking to keep a rock someone just threw at your head.

vaskodogama

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
I don't like OSX [not apple, just their OSX and Quicktime], and if I want a free OS to install on my PC, despite that I can't install OSX on my PC, I go to Ubuntu or some linux here, but I rather choose an OS that is more user friendly and "easy advanced" and has a lot of third party and hardware support like MS's Windows 7 and even pay 300 bucks for it.
Apple, Sometimes you patent somethings that are so ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.