Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

It suddenly started running extremely slowly. XP Home, 50 Gig spare. It has
taken ALL DAY but I have tried:
Anti virus scan - up-to-date definitions: no problems
Spyware scan - up to date definitions: no problems
CHKDSK - no errors reported
Checked drivers for keyboard, mouse, HDD, and monitor
Registry scan - one problem resolved
Defrag
Microsoft update

A Symantec firewall is installed and it is up-to-date

Clues / possible red herrings:
After defrag (using Diskkeeper) it is reporting 99% defragmented, not 100%.
Diskeeper reports disk access times in MINUTES
The registry scan reported a problem with a windows update entry - now fixed.

It still goes unbelievably slowly. It can take a minute or more to respond
to a mouse click. (I'm sending this message from a different computer as my
patience ran out)

Does anyone have any clues?

PS The computer is attached to a home network. I can access shared files
held on my 'snail' at normal speed from another computer on my network

thanks

--
Not quite an amateur

What file(s) did Diskkeeper report were not defragged?

This might be a clue.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes