Discussion New MBP 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychokineticnz

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
I think the new MBP hardware is second to none, but I'm not overly enjoying lion os, I think that with the first SP it will be better to use.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
What is wrong with LION OS you are not content with?I am using the newest Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and it is good.Truthfully I am afraid to delve into the LION OS as I am not that perfect with Apple to begin with it.When you reach 67 years you forget things.

psychokineticnz

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
I loved Snow leopard, and I've been warned before that you should always wait until the first service pack is released before moving over to a new OS (particularly true for MS stuff)
I'm finding that my laptop doesn't come out of "sleep" mode by moving my mouse anymore (it takes pushing keys on the keyboard.) also, it comes out of sleep slower than when I ran Leopard.
Plus, when using safari (I use an attached MS USB mouse), I've randomly had both mouse buttons change to a "right click" - so no left click and only rebooting my mac fixes it.
You know what they say, it's the little things.

Roll on SP1

:)

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
The problem is there are still flaws in the first batch of LION.I will wait till this is completely done right and than pursue it.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
What is wrong with Mission Control you do not favor?

halcyon

Splendid
I upgraded my 2011 MacBook Pro to Lion and immediately noticed some performance issues. ...it took seemingly a minute for my SSD to boot the OS (in 10.6.8 the OS loaded in under 15 seconds). Fortunately, I had a SuperDuper image of my SL 10.6.8 install. I tried upgrading several times and still had the same issues.

Finally, I reformatted my drive and installed Lion (and all my applications again) from scratch and haven't had any problems whatsoever and my machine is as fast as expected.

I say that to say that if you're having trouble with Lion it could be the result of the upgrade whereas a clean install may perform significantly better.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Thanks I will wait until all of the bugs are out.Incidentally what MBP do you own?

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Very nice unit.Did you ever have a problem with your OD when playing movies? Mine started making loud noses a few days.Thanks Marv

halcyon

Splendid

I immediately removed my OD and replaced it with an OD hard drive mount with a Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
If you do this procedure do you lose your warranty from Apple? thanks

halcyon

Splendid

If I sent it into service with the drive removed I'm sure I would...but if I ever had to have service I would put the optical drive back in.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Thanks I will think about it.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I wish I had a small portion of your Mac knowledge.I would be contented.

psychokineticnz

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011

oooo, that sounds like a fantastic idea!, I will have to hit the google monster and figure out how to do just that for my MBP.

Thanks for the great idea!

:)

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I played some movies which are copies and it did not make any nose at all.Some movies it does.What gives? Thanks

halcyon

Splendid

That's a good question. I don't know much about how the encoding is done but I thought all DVDs were pretty much encoded the same which means they should be requiring the same power to decode. I guess I'm ignorant. Maybe your copies have variances in their encoding that's requiring different amounts of power to decode?

madtech01

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Just got my Mac Book Pro 17" with a intel Core i7 2.3 Ghz. a week ago and loving it.

I just upgraded the RAM my self to 8GB from the stock 4 GB( did not want to pay a $200 premium for what I could do for $60)
and I upgraded my Hard Drive from the stock 500GB 7200RMP to a 750GB 7200RPM.

it boots a little slower with the upgraded Hard Drive but once I get windows installed for my work apps through boot camp I will be all set.

halcyon

Splendid

One day you may want to consider the OWC drive doubler, unless you really use your optical drive a lot. ...put an SSD in your new puppy and place the 750 in the OWC Drive Doubler...its a sweet setup, I love it. The OS X boots in ~15 seconds if not less.

Status
Not open for further replies.