How do you eliminate a BIOS password??

Our Club has a Dell 4550 with an A05 BIOS. When we installed the
computer I put in a set-up and system password as a security measure.
Now some users are complaining that they are having trouble logging in
and want to eliminate it. That is my problem. When I access the
set-up file on boot, I enter the BIOs password. I scroll to the
security section, hit enter and see both types of passwords are
"enabled". I then hit the space bar but get a command to reenter the
password and then another to confirm it. Nothing shows how to eliminate
it - none of the Dell documentation I have tells how also. Short of
pulling the case apart and jiggering with the configuration jumper is
there another way to do this. what am I doing wrong????
6 answers Last reply
More about eliminate bios password

    Bill Mackey wrote:

    > Our Club has a Dell 4550 with an A05 BIOS. When we installed the
    > computer I put in a set-up and system password as a security measure.
    > Now some users are complaining that they are having trouble logging in
    > and want to eliminate it. That is my problem. When I access the
    > set-up file on boot, I enter the BIOs password. I scroll to the
    > security section, hit enter and see both types of passwords are
    > "enabled". I then hit the space bar but get a command to reenter the
    > password and then another to confirm it. Nothing shows how to eliminate
    > it - none of the Dell documentation I have tells how also. Short of
    > pulling the case apart and jiggering with the configuration jumper is
    > there another way to do this. what am I doing wrong????

    I'm not sure where the "space bar" come in.

    When it asks for a password, just hit <Enter>.

    You should get a "Not Enabled" message.

    Notan

    Got to admit I once had the same question the first time I tried to disable
    a BIOS password I had set. Took me about 5 seconds (yeah, okay, 4 seconds
    too many) to figure "what if I . . . "

    >just hit <Enter>.
    >
    > You should get a "Not Enabled" message.

    if you open the case and go onto Dell's web site you will find a pin to
    remove or jumper to clear the BIOS passwords

    Pretty simple really

    Wayne

    Bill Mackey wrote:

    > Our Club has a Dell 4550 with an A05 BIOS. When we installed the
    > computer I put in a set-up and system password as a security measure.
    > Now some users are complaining that they are having trouble logging
    > in and want to eliminate it. That is my problem. When I access the
    > set-up file on boot, I enter the BIOs password. I scroll to the
    > security section, hit enter and see both types of passwords are
    > "enabled". I then hit the space bar but get a command to reenter the
    > password and then another to confirm it. Nothing shows how to
    > eliminate it - none of the Dell documentation I have tells how also.
    > Short of pulling the case apart and jiggering with the configuration
    > jumper is there another way to do this. what am I doing wrong????

    .... or remove the coin-sized C2032 3v battery and let the computer sit for a
    bit, then put the battery back in its socket. Either way, unplug the wall power
    first... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:59:02 -0500, "wayne" <nope@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >if you open the case and go onto Dell's web site you will find a pin to
    >remove or jumper to clear the BIOS passwords
    >
    >Pretty simple really
    >
    >Wayne
    >
    >Bill Mackey wrote:
    >
    >> Our Club has a Dell 4550 with an A05 BIOS. When we installed the
    >> computer I put in a set-up and system password as a security measure.
    >> Now some users are complaining that they are having trouble logging
    >> in and want to eliminate it. That is my problem. When I access the
    >> set-up file on boot, I enter the BIOs password. I scroll to the
    >> security section, hit enter and see both types of passwords are
    >> "enabled". I then hit the space bar but get a command to reenter the
    >> password and then another to confirm it. Nothing shows how to
    >> eliminate it - none of the Dell documentation I have tells how also.
    >> Short of pulling the case apart and jiggering with the configuration
    >> jumper is there another way to do this. what am I doing wrong????

    all these answers are correct but clearing the BIOS password aint gonna help
    anyone log onto windows
    > ... or remove the coin-sized C2032 3v battery and let the computer sit for
    > bit, then put the battery back in its socket. Either way, unplug the wall
    > power
    > first... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:59:02 -0500, "wayne" <nope@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    >>if you open the case and go onto Dell's web site you will find a pin to
    >>remove or jumper to clear the BIOS passwords
    >>
    >>Pretty simple really
    >>
    >>Wayne
    >>
    >>Bill Mackey wrote:
    >>
    >>> Our Club has a Dell 4550 with an A05 BIOS. When we installed the
    >>> computer I put in a set-up and system password as a security measure.
    >>> Now some users are complaining that they are having trouble logging
    >>> in and want to eliminate it. That is my problem. When I access the
    >>> set-up file on boot, I enter the BIOs password. I scroll to the
    >>> security section, hit enter and see both types of passwords are
    >>> "enabled". I then hit the space bar but get a command to reenter the
    >>> password and then another to confirm it. Nothing shows how to
    >>> eliminate it - none of the Dell documentation I have tells how also.
    >>> Short of pulling the case apart and jiggering with the configuration
    >>> jumper is there another way to do this. what am I doing wrong????

    For cracking Windows NT/2000/XP passwords, there is Pettar Nordahl's very fine
    bit of freeware:

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 08:16:27 +0100, "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >all these answers are correct but clearing the BIOS password aint gonna help
    >anyone log onto windows
    >> ... or remove the coin-sized C2032 3v battery and let the computer sit for
    >> bit, then put the battery back in its socket. Either way, unplug the wall
    >> power
    >> first... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:59:02 -0500, "wayne" <nope@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>if you open the case and go onto Dell's web site you will find a pin to
    >>>remove or jumper to clear the BIOS passwords
    >>>
    >>>Pretty simple really
    >>>
    >>>Wayne

Dell BIOS Computers