• Graphics Cards
  • Gainward
  • Geforce
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2001 10:08:34 PM

I'm looking for a Gainward/Cardexpert GeForce 2 TITANIUM Ti/500XP (golden sample) or a Gainward/Cardexpet GeForce 3 Ti200 but i can't find them anywhere here in Canada. Does anybody know where i can find one. The best would be a store in the Vancouver area or a Canadian online store. If not an american online store would have to do (as long as there's no insane shipping charges).

Any help would be great.

More about : gainward video cards canada

December 28, 2001 10:15:42 PM

Don't fuss so much about Gainward! An Asus V8200 Ti200 will overclock just as much without problems.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2001 10:25:26 PM

Actualy, i was just looking at the prices and it looks like if the GF3 Ti200's are slightly out of my price range. So i'm looking for a GF2 ti. Either the Gainward or maybe another brand that anybody can recommend (needs to have tv out). Also I need to be able to find here in Canada.

Thanks
Related resources
December 28, 2001 10:38:00 PM

Hmm, again look at the Asus V7700 Ti Deluxe.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
December 28, 2001 11:04:45 PM

Check out Futureshop they have the Visiontek Gf2 TI for 249.00 CDN or go to their website. I bought one in Victoria and I love it.
December 28, 2001 11:10:17 PM

Eww! A Radeon 7500 is cheaper than that right now at Future Shop and it's faster!

December 28, 2001 11:23:54 PM

It is cheaper but it's a Radeon. He was asking about a Gf2 TI.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2001 11:41:46 PM

I was thinking of getting a radeon 7500 but i have heard that in theory it's faster than a gf2 ti, but that the drivers suck and don't take full advantage of the card. I'm not sure which one to go for.
December 29, 2001 12:30:27 AM

Quote:

I was thinking of getting a radeon 7500 but i have heard that in theory it's faster than a gf2 ti, but that the drivers suck and don't take full advantage of the card. I'm not sure which one to go for.

You are confusing between the Radeon 8500 and 7500. The 7500 has good drivers because it's based on the original Radeon which has been around for a long time. It is as fast or faster than a GeForce2 Ti in most benchmarks. Go see for yourself on Tom's Hardware and Anandtech and the rest.

December 29, 2001 1:18:08 AM

I can't imagine anyone buying from Futurecrap...
Those guys are the most price-gouging people EVER!!!
I swear, the cost of the Retail boxed products they put in are so high, man the Radeon 8500 is 399$ at a local shop in retail, and they have it at 449$!!
Then I went once to see their Visiontek GF3s, yes standard GF3 and it was a whopping 649$! I mean wtf? Asus V8200 Deluxe edition sells at 539$ in most places now!
Another example, the game Command & Conquer Yuri's Revenge, is 54$ as expansion pack at FS, I find it at 32$ at Staples Depot!!!
Jesus it's an expansion and those guys just put the tag on it!

At least tell me that the GF2 TI you got is 64MB!
By the way this local shop has set up an online shop and they have the best prices I've yet to see in Canada for now. They don't sell Gainward (trust me, I have yet to see one in any store I've looked here in Ottawa, seems like Asus dominates this town!) but like AMD-Man said, Asus is an excellent choice, cuz if you look at their overclocking TI200s, they went the farthest. They also include a Turbo option that boosts their power without any setting, just a click. In any case the Asus V7700 TI 64MB Pure is 235$ here, though MSI's one is more money saving, at 219$. Still the Asus has the best rating around.
Good luck, otherwise order from the states! Some online US shops sell prices so low it's unbeleivable compared to here.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...
December 29, 2001 1:23:49 AM

True, but Future Shop has the Radeon 7500 on sale for $199 for about a month now.

December 29, 2001 2:08:13 AM

FutureShop has a no questions asked 30 day return policy. Even if they do ask questions their staff is not knowledgeable enough to know if the consumer has screwed up the component. That is the main reason I buy some of my components there. In the last 6 months I've bought and returned: a Radeon 64 Mb DDR ViVo, a 3D Prophet 4500 64 Mb, an M125 Palm Pilot. Never had a single problem returning any hardware. Try that at your local computer shop.
December 29, 2001 2:14:33 AM

hehe, so true! I've done that before!

December 29, 2001 2:33:29 AM

Now that is suprising!

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...
December 29, 2001 2:35:33 AM

Well I don't think much of us return parts often as a hobby so there...!

--
December 29, 2001 3:41:36 AM

It's not a hobby. It's a matter of trying out a component for a couple of weeks to see how it performs. If you are happy with it you keep it, if not... Then you can form your own opinion on the quality/performance of a product.
December 29, 2001 2:31:45 PM

Yeah it is a plus, but still it doesn't justify the high prices, which make this feature rather useless IMO. If the prices were low, beleive me I would shop there, but nope, they simply are showing a disgrace to Canadian pricing.

--
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2001 5:37:15 PM

I still don't know which one to go for. The radeon 7500 or the geforce 2 ti? Can anybody help me out.

Also, i'm still sort of interested in the gainward one. Does anybody know of an American online store that sells them and ships to canada
December 29, 2001 9:56:18 PM

Get the Radeon 7500 now before the sale is over! It can do everything a GeForce2 Ti can and much much more. It's no contest.

December 29, 2001 10:09:12 PM

I have a Gainward Geforce 2 Ti500 sat next to my keyboard right now ! (Honestly - Nice pretty red PCB shame the ram sinks haven't been put on quite on centre and theres about 3mm to the left of the RAM uncovered) I would sell it you but I'm in the UK.

I have put it through its paces and to be honest its not everything that speacial, all in all its still a G2 and there are not going anywhere...

Save for a G3 or get a raddeon no point, really, in getting a card so old anymore !

Tim

I am Homer of Borg ! Prepare to be... MMMhhhhh Doughnuts
December 29, 2001 10:20:15 PM

umm, Stiffler, to most people getting a card so expensive cannot be justified. Seriously, the GeForce2 Ti is not old! It's still a fast card! Away, I would get the Radeon 7500 because, not only do you get GeForce2 Ultra performance, but you also get top-of-the-line DVD playback acceleration,and a higher-quality 350MHz RAMDAC (supposedly, but most eyes can't tell the difference).

December 30, 2001 11:29:55 AM

I know it isn't, but being a honary member of the "Buy out date hardware Club" I am just getting sick of new and much better hardware coming out just as I have bought something that is already old :( 

Which is one of the main reasons I have started to read Toms page so fastidiously for the past 4 months.

So yes I concede. The card isn't that old no (About a year or so) But the geforce 2 is fastly growing old, and although I have owned a number of incarnation's of that model, I wouldn't buy another... (As a side note the Gainward Ti500 is the best of the lot I have owned :o ) And its looks earned it bonus points)

But as I am a serious gamer my FPS means alot to me, so I suppose I am more willing to buy extortionately priced graphics cards.

Tim

December 30, 2001 11:34:50 AM

For games such as Quake III and UT, you simply don't need a top-of-the-line graphics card. Max Payne, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Aquanox and a bunch of other DX8 games are the ones that really need a Radeon 8500 or GeForce3!

December 30, 2001 11:56:57 AM

Yes but thats exactly part of my point... You have just quoted a game that have been around for 4-6 months (Max Payne) and RTCW which is based on the Team Arena engine which is even older. And compared them to UT and Quake III which are both now over 2 years old !

Soon there will be newer games out that will leave the Geforce 2 even more in the dark. And although it probably has a bit longer left in it (I still know a few people who cherish their TNT2's) The demands from graphics cards are ever increasing.

And both UT and QIII benifit from more powerful cards however unecessary you deam the extra power.

Tim

December 30, 2001 11:59:28 AM

AMD_MAN, a gf2 ti kicks the living crap out of a radeon7500 man, a radeon7500 is slightly better than an origional radeon, what kind of crack are you smoking.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
December 30, 2001 12:01:17 PM

Quote:
umm, Stiffler, to most people getting a card so expensive cannot be justified. Seriously, the GeForce2 Ti is not old! It's still a fast card! Away, I would get the Radeon 7500 because, not only do you get GeForce2 Ultra performance, but you also get top-of-the-line DVD playback acceleration,and a higher-quality 350MHz RAMDAC (supposedly, but most eyes can't tell the difference).

The gf2 ti has a 350mhz ramdac if I recall correctly.

Also, as I pointed out in my previous post, you do NOT get gf2 ultra speeds with a radeon7500, you get origional radeon slightly faster speeds, which are NOT gf2 ultra speeds.

December 30, 2001 12:09:18 PM

AND HERES MY PROOF.

http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/ati8500&7500(4).htm

On the third page is the 3dmark2001 scores, which the 7500 beats the gf2 ti, that unfortunatly for the 7500 is the ONLY(with exception of the ultra high resolution vulpine benchmark which is due to the fact radeon has always taken less of a performance his on 32 bit color apps than gf2, however since neither card can play any modern game at 1600x1200@32 with any kind of frame rate it is a moot point. 22 fps or 26fps is still pretty unplayable.) benchmark it wins, which is pretty damn sad if you ask me.

(note to ati: if you stopped wasting your goddamn time optimising your drivers for quake 3 and 3dmark2001 and worked on overall performance, maybe you would stand a chance.)

as you can see AMD_MAN, the 7500 is underpowered and underperforms, and a gf2 ti is a far better purchase(seeing as they are about the same price).

Better yet put down the extra 20 bucks to get a gf3 ti 200, and really whomp ass.

December 30, 2001 12:10:06 PM

Matisaro, what are you talking about? Have you seen the benchmarks? How can the Radeon 7500 be only slightly faster than a Radeon when it's clocked much faster, 290/460 instead of 183/366!

December 30, 2001 12:13:57 PM

The the G2 Ti500 runs (Standard) at 262MHz Core 471MHz Ram
(well the one in the topic anyhow - Gainwards)

Tim

December 30, 2001 12:18:51 PM

Matisaro, we are talking about Canada here! The GeForce3 Ti200 is far more expensive than any Canadian products such as the Radeon 7500! Also, go and see Anandtech's review of the Radeon 7500! It beats the GeForce3 Ti200 in some cases, beats the GeForce2 Pro in most, especially at high-res!

December 30, 2001 12:50:07 PM

WERE TALKING ABOUT THE GF2 TI not the pro.

the gf2 ti is FASTER than the radeon7500.

in the us. the gf2 ti is cheaper than the radeon 7500.

I dont know, and dont care what canadian prices are.

YOU SAID THE RADEON 7500 WAS FASTER OR THE SAME SPEED AS A GF2 ULTRA, AND I PROVED YOU WRONG.

Thats the point of my post, nothing more nothing less.

December 30, 2001 12:51:45 PM

"Eww! A Radeon 7500 is cheaper than that right now at Future Shop and it's faster!"

"Get the Radeon 7500 now before the sale is over! It can do everything a GeForce2 Ti can and much much more. It's no contest. "

^ the reasons I posted.

December 30, 2001 12:55:08 PM

Look at Anandtech's review....

December 30, 2001 1:28:28 PM

Umm, I just did amd_man, do you even bother to read the reviews before you tell me to?

ANANDTECH.

Black and white.

gf2 ti 44fps(read the article for detail settings etc)
radeon7500 40fps
B&W@1600x1200

radeon7500 18fps
GF2 ti 17fps

(moot, both unplayable, as I said, its a known fact that the radeon handles ULTRA high res better than the gf2, but it does NOT matter because neither is playable at those resolutions.)

Quake 3

gf2 ti 130.6
radeon7500 119.4

Q3@1600x1200
gf2 ti 58.8
radeon7500 58.2

rtcw

gf2 47.2
r7500 45.5

rtcw@1600x1200
r7500 28.6
gf2 ti 27.6

(wow one where the radeon won and the framerate is still playable, only 1 fps faster tho, pointless lol)
\

rtcw low activity test?
(read the review)
gf2 ti 135.8
r7500 123

rtcw low activity@1600x1200
gf2ti 52.6
r7500 59.1

maxpayne
gf2ti 55.9
r7500 52.5

maxpayne@1600x1200
r7500 26.1
gf2ti 25.7
(again less than 1 fps, pointless.)

need I continue

amd_man, your statements were wrong, the gf2 ti is FASTER than a radeon7500.

im heading to bed.

December 30, 2001 1:35:56 PM

lol, I did read the reviews. That looks about on par to me. It's not pointless. It's proof that the Radeon 7500 is faster in some cases. You won't notice the performance difference between the two but they do trade position about equally so it is on par with the GeForce2 Ti. Plus you get dual-monitor support, full dvd acceleration and to your door replacement for the life of the product. Hey, I'm ATI biased, sorry. But then again, even six year olds do that! My toy is better than your toy! hehe. We are arguing about toys!

December 30, 2001 2:29:43 PM

There both the same BAH !
Both old...

Whoever started this thread and wanted a gainward great choice its the Bollox compared to every other G2 there is ;)  Hope you find one.
[-peep-] knows about the Raddeon 7whatever never used one don't intend to ! (I have used the 8500 and I was suitably impressed)

Stop you two I have had enough. Like AMD said your arguing like 6 years olds over 1fps here or there !! FFS when was the last time any human being could see the differnce between 1-10fps(Over 40) difference let alone 1.

Tim

December 30, 2001 2:35:30 PM

Thanks Stiffler for knocking some sense into us!

December 30, 2001 6:08:11 PM

Well Mat has had a reputation recently for hating ATI for their actions, so there is no point in convincing him now, plus he was heading to sleep and he often trails off on these moments! Whatever the case, both are great cards that have DX 8 support and that is fine by me. Although they are not novelty players, it's not like all of us have these new games out in our CD drives! Anyone who knows what Doom 3 will be like knows that it's gonna be bad for us GF3 owners too, and that pisses me! I thought them cards were gonna be the best to perform for a long time, seeing their special powers.
But in any case, Gainward or not, I say try Asus, it overclocked farther.

--
December 31, 2001 8:58:32 AM

Yeah, I dont jive with cheating on benchmarks.

But I was tired and was arguing a tad vehemantly. Heh, I should delete the posts.

!