Gainward Video Cards in Canada

G

I'm looking for a Gainward/Cardexpert GeForce 2 TITANIUM Ti/500XP (golden sample) or a Gainward/Cardexpet GeForce 3 Ti200 but i can't find them anywhere here in Canada. Does anybody know where i can find one. The best would be a store in the Vancouver area or a Canadian online store. If not an american online store would have to do (as long as there's no insane shipping charges).

Any help would be great.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Don't fuss so much about Gainward! An Asus V8200 Ti200 will overclock just as much without problems.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

Actualy, i was just looking at the prices and it looks like if the GF3 Ti200's are slightly out of my price range. So i'm looking for a GF2 ti. Either the Gainward or maybe another brand that anybody can recommend (needs to have tv out). Also I need to be able to find here in Canada.

Thanks

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Eww! A Radeon 7500 is cheaper than that right now at Future Shop and it's faster!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

I was thinking of getting a radeon 7500 but i have heard that in theory it's faster than a gf2 ti, but that the drivers suck and don't take full advantage of the card. I'm not sure which one to go for.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I was thinking of getting a radeon 7500 but i have heard that in theory it's faster than a gf2 ti, but that the drivers suck and don't take full advantage of the card. I'm not sure which one to go for.
You are confusing between the Radeon 8500 and 7500. The 7500 has good drivers because it's based on the original Radeon which has been around for a long time. It is as fast or faster than a GeForce2 Ti in most benchmarks. Go see for yourself on Tom's Hardware and Anandtech and the rest.

eden

Champion
I can't imagine anyone buying from Futurecrap...
Those guys are the most price-gouging people EVER!!!
I swear, the cost of the Retail boxed products they put in are so high, man the Radeon 8500 is 399$ at a local shop in retail, and they have it at 449$!!
Then I went once to see their Visiontek GF3s, yes standard GF3 and it was a whopping 649$! I mean wtf? Asus V8200 Deluxe edition sells at 539$ in most places now!
Another example, the game Command & Conquer Yuri's Revenge, is 54$ as expansion pack at FS, I find it at 32$ at Staples Depot!!!
Jesus it's an expansion and those guys just put the tag on it!

At least tell me that the GF2 TI you got is 64MB!
By the way this local shop has set up an online shop and they have the best prices I've yet to see in Canada for now. They don't sell Gainward (trust me, I have yet to see one in any store I've looked here in Ottawa, seems like Asus dominates this town!) but like AMD-Man said, Asus is an excellent choice, cuz if you look at their overclocking TI200s, they went the farthest. They also include a Turbo option that boosts their power without any setting, just a click. In any case the Asus V7700 TI 64MB Pure is 235$ here, though MSI's one is more money saving, at 219$. Still the Asus has the best rating around.
Good luck, otherwise order from the states! Some online US shops sell prices so low it's unbeleivable compared to here.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
True, but Future Shop has the Radeon 7500 on sale for $199 for about a month now.

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
FutureShop has a no questions asked 30 day return policy. Even if they do ask questions their staff is not knowledgeable enough to know if the consumer has screwed up the component. That is the main reason I buy some of my components there. In the last 6 months I've bought and returned: a Radeon 64 Mb DDR ViVo, a 3D Prophet 4500 64 Mb, an M125 Palm Pilot. Never had a single problem returning any hardware. Try that at your local computer shop.

eden

Champion
Well I don't think much of us return parts often as a hobby so there...!

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
It's not a hobby. It's a matter of trying out a component for a couple of weeks to see how it performs. If you are happy with it you keep it, if not... Then you can form your own opinion on the quality/performance of a product.

eden

Champion
Yeah it is a plus, but still it doesn't justify the high prices, which make this feature rather useless IMO. If the prices were low, beleive me I would shop there, but nope, they simply are showing a disgrace to Canadian pricing.

--

G

I still don't know which one to go for. The radeon 7500 or the geforce 2 ti? Can anybody help me out.

Also, i'm still sort of interested in the gainward one. Does anybody know of an American online store that sells them and ships to canada

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Get the Radeon 7500 now before the sale is over! It can do everything a GeForce2 Ti can and much much more. It's no contest.

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
I have a Gainward Geforce 2 Ti500 sat next to my keyboard right now ! (Honestly - Nice pretty red PCB shame the ram sinks haven't been put on quite on centre and theres about 3mm to the left of the RAM uncovered) I would sell it you but I'm in the UK.

I have put it through its paces and to be honest its not everything that speacial, all in all its still a G2 and there are not going anywhere...

Save for a G3 or get a raddeon no point, really, in getting a card so old anymore !

Tim

I am Homer of Borg ! Prepare to be... MMMhhhhh Doughnuts

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
umm, Stiffler, to most people getting a card so expensive cannot be justified. Seriously, the GeForce2 Ti is not old! It's still a fast card! Away, I would get the Radeon 7500 because, not only do you get GeForce2 Ultra performance, but you also get top-of-the-line DVD playback acceleration,and a higher-quality 350MHz RAMDAC (supposedly, but most eyes can't tell the difference).

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
I know it isn't, but being a honary member of the "Buy out date hardware Club" I am just getting sick of new and much better hardware coming out just as I have bought something that is already old :(

Which is one of the main reasons I have started to read Toms page so fastidiously for the past 4 months.

So yes I concede. The card isn't that old no (About a year or so) But the geforce 2 is fastly growing old, and although I have owned a number of incarnation's of that model, I wouldn't buy another... (As a side note the Gainward Ti500 is the best of the lot I have owned :eek:) And its looks earned it bonus points)

But as I am a serious gamer my FPS means alot to me, so I suppose I am more willing to buy extortionately priced graphics cards.

Tim

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
For games such as Quake III and UT, you simply don't need a top-of-the-line graphics card. Max Payne, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Aquanox and a bunch of other DX8 games are the ones that really need a Radeon 8500 or GeForce3!

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Yes but thats exactly part of my point... You have just quoted a game that have been around for 4-6 months (Max Payne) and RTCW which is based on the Team Arena engine which is even older. And compared them to UT and Quake III which are both now over 2 years old !

Soon there will be newer games out that will leave the Geforce 2 even more in the dark. And although it probably has a bit longer left in it (I still know a few people who cherish their TNT2's) The demands from graphics cards are ever increasing.

And both UT and QIII benifit from more powerful cards however unecessary you deam the extra power.

Tim

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
AMD_MAN, a gf2 ti kicks the living crap out of a radeon7500 man, a radeon7500 is slightly better than an origional radeon, what kind of crack are you smoking.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!