No system startup or shutdown sounds.

August 27, 2005 7:04:03 PM

I use xp pro and have Microsoft PLUS installed wich gives me a few extra
themes to choose from. Everything works great except when i log in or out of
windows i dont get any sounds, no matter what theme i use. It used to work
fine and i am not sure exactly when it stopped. I checked my sounds
configuration and i can play the start up and shutdown sounds by testing them
but they wont work when actually starting or shutting down windows. Even if i
just use the regular XP theme i still dont get any sound. All other sounds
work fine, it is a strange problem , any idea what is wrong?
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 9:05:29 PM

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
Scroll down to System Sounds are missing

Restore Startup and Shutdown Sounds (Line 211)

"Xtracheeze" <Xtracheeze@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I use xp pro and have Microsoft PLUS installed wich gives me a few extra
> themes to choose from. Everything works great except when i log in or out of
> windows i dont get any sounds, no matter what theme i use. It used to work
> fine and i am not sure exactly when it stopped. I checked my sounds
> configuration and i can play the start up and shutdown sounds by testing them
> but they wont work when actually starting or shutting down windows. Even if i
> just use the regular XP theme i still dont get any sound. All other sounds
> work fine, it is a strange problem , any idea what is wrong?
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 7:03:02 PM

Thanks TaurArian ,very good links. I had to add the registry entry twice for
some reason but it worked. I wonder how those entries got deleted in the
first place?

"TaurArian [MVP]" wrote:

> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
> Scroll down to System Sounds are missing
>
> Restore Startup and Shutdown Sounds (Line 211)
>

> "Xtracheeze" <Xtracheeze@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I use xp pro and have Microsoft PLUS installed wich gives me a few extra
> > themes to choose from. Everything works great except when i log in or out of
> > windows i dont get any sounds, no matter what theme i use. It used to work
> > fine and i am not sure exactly when it stopped. I checked my sounds
> > configuration and i can play the start up and shutdown sounds by testing them
> > but they wont work when actually starting or shutting down windows. Even if i
> > just use the regular XP theme i still dont get any sound. All other sounds
> > work fine, it is a strange problem , any idea what is wrong?

August 30, 2005 9:54:18 PM

You're welcome.

!