Cannot complete final step of restoring corrupt system files

August 27, 2005 7:36:01 PM

I followed the advice of
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545 to restore
after corrupt system files prevented windows from starting.

However the final step is to actually restore from Restore Point after you
have windows up and running. I've gone back five days and I keep getting the
message "cannot be restored to" (whatever date i choose).

Is this critical that I do so? It's running now and I have even created a
restore point after the crash just to safe.
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 2:14:48 PM

Hi,

No, it's not critical. And, actually, you should simply stop and restart the
System Restore service to restore functionality at this point. You lose any
existing restore points, but they are not likely to work at this point
anyhow.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Greg In Logon Jail" <GregInLogonJail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:3E631C08-CFCD-414A-92AA-E957192D7C49@microsoft.com...
>I followed the advice of
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545 to restore
> after corrupt system files prevented windows from starting.
>
> However the final step is to actually restore from Restore Point after you
> have windows up and running. I've gone back five days and I keep getting
> the
> message "cannot be restored to" (whatever date i choose).
>
> Is this critical that I do so? It's running now and I have even created a
> restore point after the crash just to safe.
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 6:30:26 PM

Thank you for the answer, Rick.

I went to Control Panel and now I see a freaky side effect of all those
attempts at restoral presumably. I have has like 2 or 3 copies of icons like
"Automatic Updates" and "System". What can I do about that?

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> No, it's not critical. And, actually, you should simply stop and restart the
> System Restore service to restore functionality at this point. You lose any
> existing restore points, but they are not likely to work at this point
> anyhow.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Greg In Logon Jail" <GregInLogonJail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:3E631C08-CFCD-414A-92AA-E957192D7C49@microsoft.com...
> >I followed the advice of
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545 to restore
> > after corrupt system files prevented windows from starting.
> >
> > However the final step is to actually restore from Restore Point after you
> > have windows up and running. I've gone back five days and I keep getting
> > the
> > message "cannot be restored to" (whatever date i choose).
> >
> > Is this critical that I do so? It's running now and I have even created a
> > restore point after the crash just to safe.

August 29, 2005 1:16:50 AM

Hi,

Check for duplicates of the .cpl files in the \system32 directory, often
appended with (1) or other enumeration.

--

message news:226420D7-1186-4A87-B924-54D2F2603D69@microsoft.com...
> Thank you for the answer, Rick.
>
> I went to Control Panel and now I see a freaky side effect of all those
> attempts at restoral presumably. I have has like 2 or 3 copies of icons
> like
> "Automatic Updates" and "System". What can I do about that?
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> No, it's not critical. And, actually, you should simply stop and restart
>> the
>> System Restore service to restore functionality at this point. You lose
>> any
>> existing restore points, but they are not likely to work at this point
>> anyhow.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Greg In Logon Jail" <GregInLogonJail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:3E631C08-CFCD-414A-92AA-E957192D7C49@microsoft.com...
>> >I followed the advice of
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545 to
>> > restore
>> > after corrupt system files prevented windows from starting.
>> >
>> > However the final step is to actually restore from Restore Point after
>> > you
>> > have windows up and running. I've gone back five days and I keep
>> > getting
>> > the
>> > message "cannot be restored to" (whatever date i choose).
>> >
>> > Is this critical that I do so? It's running now and I have even created
>> > restore point after the crash just to safe.

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 1:16:51 AM

oh wow I see this directory is riddled with copies of files, can I delete all
of them?

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Check for duplicates of the .cpl files in the \system32 directory, often
> appended with (1) or other enumeration.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Greg In Logon Jail" <GregInLogonJail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:226420D7-1186-4A87-B924-54D2F2603D69@microsoft.com...
> > Thank you for the answer, Rick.
> >
> > I went to Control Panel and now I see a freaky side effect of all those
> > attempts at restoral presumably. I have has like 2 or 3 copies of icons
> > like
> > "Automatic Updates" and "System". What can I do about that?
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> No, it's not critical. And, actually, you should simply stop and restart
> >> the
> >> System Restore service to restore functionality at this point. You lose
> >> any
> >> existing restore points, but they are not likely to work at this point
> >> anyhow.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Greg In Logon Jail" <GregInLogonJail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:3E631C08-CFCD-414A-92AA-E957192D7C49@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 10:09:23 AM

Hi,

The ones appended this way, sure, but there's really no need to.

--

message news:679AD57F-F9A3-40F1-8CB6-9C841EFE170D@microsoft.com...
> oh wow I see this directory is riddled with copies of files, can I delete
> all
> of them?
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Check for duplicates of the .cpl files in the \system32 directory, often
>> appended with (1) or other enumeration.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Greg In Logon Jail" <GregInLogonJail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:226420D7-1186-4A87-B924-54D2F2603D69@microsoft.com...
>> > Thank you for the answer, Rick.
>> >
>> > I went to Control Panel and now I see a freaky side effect of all those
>> > attempts at restoral presumably. I have has like 2 or 3 copies of icons
>> > like

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 6:47:16 PM

Thank you for helping me sort everything out.

!