xp home crashing on reformat

Error message: a problem has been detected and windows has been shuit
down... registry_error
If this is the first...
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory completed
Contact sys admin
Ok... so my computer crashed and I'm trying to reformat the hard drive.
It's booting up from the CD drive and bringing me to the screen to repair,
reinstall etc... It goes through the system check and then it crashes again.
I've tried to startup in safe mode but that also crashes. Does it sound like
I have a bad motherboard or is there hope here!? Thanks much for your help.
Joyce

Joyce wrote:
> Error message: a problem has been detected and windows has been shuit
> down... registry_error
> If this is the first...
> Beginning dump of physical memory
> Physical memory completed
> Contact sys admin
> Ok... so my computer crashed and I'm trying to reformat the hard
> drive.
> It's booting up from the CD drive and bringing me to the screen to
> repair, reinstall etc... It goes through the system check and then it
> crashes again. I've tried to startup in safe mode but that also
> crashes. Does it sound like I have a bad motherboard or is there
> hope here!? Thanks much for your help. Joyce

I have to ask: "trying to reformat hard drive" and "booting up in safe mode"
are two different beasts. If you had successfully done one, the other would
not be possible until an install has been completed. So what have you
done - step by step?

If you have not formatted the hard drive (boot from CD, go through like you
are going to install, when it asks where you want to install Windows XP -
DELETE all the partitions, create new one(s) and continue the install..) -
you seem ready to - go for it.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear... It's not letting me do either (not a reformat
or start up in safe mode). I just continue to get the blue screen of death!

Joyce wrote:
> Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear... It's not letting me do either (not a
> reformat or start up in safe mode). I just continue to get the blue
> screen of death!

*IF* you have gone into your system BIOS, set the system to boot from the CD
driver first - put in your Windows XP installation CD, turned off your
computer or reset it, seen the message "Press any key to boot from CD" and
done so and it is not allowing you to even get that far - then you likely
have a hardware problem.

*IF* you get that far and even follow the installation prompts to "Choose
where to install Windows XP", then we would need to know what message you
get when you attempt to DELETE the partitions you see there.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Hi, I do get into the bios and set boot from cd. I boot from cd and get as
far as where it asks if I want to restore, install (?) or exit. I choose
install (or whatever it is) and it crashes. I don't get as far as it asking
"where to install". I guess it sounds like a hardware problem?