Pablo

I have misplaced the ID key number for my XP installation disk. Where can I
find it in the operating system?

Arthur

Okay, go here and get the free AIDA32:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html run it (it's a diagnostic and
information program about your computer) On the left-hand root, click on
"SOFTWARE" > "LICENCES" you should see all your program keys on your right
screen.

pablo wrote:
> I have misplaced the ID key number for my XP installation disk. Where
> can I find it in the operating system?

Assuming you have a fully functional Windows XP installation right now....

Try these applications:

Belarc Advisor
http://belarc.com/free_download.html

EVEREST Home Edition
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.41

Magical JellyBean Keyfinder v1.5B3 (Office 2003)
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/kfbeta.shtml

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

pablo wrote:
> I have misplaced the ID key number for my XP installation disk. Where can I
> find it in the operating system?

The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
that says "Do not lose this number." It is not on the installation CD
in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM (factory installed)
license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
be -- used for a re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
a new license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: