My last 8500 post - look!

G

I think I finally made up my mind. I'm going with a radeon 8500 retail for $220 USD (w/shipping). I picked it over a Ti-200 because of performance, and a plain geforce3 because of price (cheapest I could find was $237 w/shipping).

Here are my system specs:
1.4ghz p4
128mb rdram (soon to add another 128 or 256)
32mb tnt2 pro
sucky HP version of windowsME

I'll probably buy the card in a few weeks. If you think I should reconsider or get something else, tell me now! I pretty much only use the thing for games, and maybe hook it up to a TV to watch DVDs. Oh yeah, it's going to have to last me over a year and a half.

My Cyrix 333mhz beats the snot out of my Pentium4 1.4ghz!

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
well coming from the computer show i ran into a lot of people with a lot of money, one guy to talk about though. He has a p4 2ghz w/ 512 DDR ram and a Radeon 8500, which he was looking to replace. This guy works for some company, PeopleSoft? and his job gives him the cash to buy these products! he gave me his card somewhere because he was looking to sell his 8500. but yea, he was looking into the geforce 3 series because his system under windows XP would crash every so often, he mentioned while running Office XP quite a bit. i asked if he updated all his drivers and he told me he did and so forth, tried a few tweaks but still crashed. he said he had an impressive 3dmark score but thats about it. but go ahead and try, the 8500 would have been mines if i didnt see a ti 200 for $150.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Well, that also happens with nVidia cards and Via -based motherboards, check out <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com" target="_new">Via Hardware</A>. It's not related to the Radeon 8500 because I'm not having this problem under WinXP.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
::yawn:: 23.11 beta driver issue/via crap, please install 21.83's and move on, thankyou.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
No, I had the problem with the 21.83! I know what I'm talking about.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
What was your videocard/chipset? Some bios timing settings are too stringent with certain via chipsets, if you have issues of that nature you can change bios settings to fix the error, so again. What was your old videocard and what was your issue.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!