Windows Installer

I had to do a full Restore on my computer. I then proceeded to reload some
of my software. Now, when I start or restart, a window appears saying that
Windows Installer is opening. What exactly does that mean and why is it
appearing. I installed Norton 2005, MS Office Student and Teacher Edition
2003 and ActiveSync for my Toshiba Pocket PC so far.
--
Thanks in Advance,
Sissy Sniffen

Sissy Sniffen Wrote:
> I had to do a full Restore on my computer. I then proceeded to reload
> some
> of my software. Now, when I start or restart, a window appears saying
> that
> Windows Installer is opening. What exactly does that mean and why is
> it
> appearing. I installed Norton 2005, MS Office Student and Teacher
> Edition
> 2003 and ActiveSync for my Toshiba Pocket PC so far.
> --
> Thanks in Advance,
> Sissy Sniffen

Why did you have to retore your system?
Does Windows Installer prevent your compuiter to crash?
What Software were you installing?
How long has your computer been like this, and did you notice any of
these problems befor you Restored? PM ME IF YOU NEED MORE HELP
terrorbyte

--
terrorbyte

I was having a problem with the number "1" being inserted any time I tried to
type within any program. I called a company called "Geeks on Time" and they
did the Restore. The problem ended up being my P2 port for the keyboard
seems to be bad. So, now I am stuck with figure out how to put my computer
back together after the Restore I paid this company to do. Also, I listed
the software that I installed in my original message. This problem just
started last night when I posted my question.

What does "windows installler" mean? What program does it run with? Can I
remove something then reinstall it to fix this problem?

Any further information would be helpful.
--
Thanks in Advance,
Sissy Sniffen

"terrorbyte" wrote:

> Sissy Sniffen Wrote:
> > I had to do a full Restore on my computer. I then proceeded to reload
> > some
> > of my software. Now, when I start or restart, a window appears saying
> > that
> > Windows Installer is opening. What exactly does that mean and why is
> > it
> > appearing. I installed Norton 2005, MS Office Student and Teacher
> > Edition
> > 2003 and ActiveSync for my Toshiba Pocket PC so far.
> > --
> > Thanks in Advance,
> > Sissy Sniffen
>
> Why did you have to retore your system?
> Does Windows Installer prevent your compuiter to crash?
> What Software were you installing?
> How long has your computer been like this, and did you notice any of
> these problems befor you Restored? PM ME IF YOU NEED MORE HELP
> terrorbyte
>

> --
> terrorbyte

Sissy,

Windows Installer is a Microsoft Windows program that installs other
programs. It normally only runs when actually installing programs.
Programs that have on-demand installation options can cause Windows
Installer to appear at boot or when another program is opened. Also a
program that has not been installed properly or has some other problem can
start Windows Installer when a completely different program is started.

MS Office could be the culprit. Office has Install On Demand options.

My guess is that some Office program is set to start when your machine
boots, that's why Windows Installer appears at boot.

If it is MS Office, let it install what it wants to install.

[[Q. Every time I launch my application, Windows Installer performs an
installation. How can I determine the cause of the on-demand installation?

A. An easy way to determine the cause of an on-demand installation is to
look in the application event log for MsiInstaller log messages of the form:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event ID: 1001
Detection of product '{000C1109-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}', feature
'Example' failed during request for component
'{00030829-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}'

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event ID: 1004
Detection of product '{000C1109-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}', feature
'Example', component '{00030829-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}' failed. The
resource 'C:\Program Files\example\example.exe' does not exist.

The first message (with event ID 1001) states which component was being
installed. The component listed here is the component named in the
Component_ column of the Shortcut table for the particular shortcut.

The second message (with event ID 1004) indicates which component failed
detection. Improved event logging in Windows Installer 2.0 has updated the
message so that in most cases, the message identifies the actual resource
that resulted in the failed detection. The component with the missing or
damaged keypath is the component that is triggering the reinstallation.

In the example above, the reinstallation is triggered because the resource
'c:\Program Files\example\example.exe' does not exist. You would then need
to find out why the keypath does not exist -in this case, the user deleted
it.]]
Frequently Asked Questions About Windows Installer
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/management/msi_faq.mspx

To open the Event Viewer...
Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | Click OK
Click on Application and look for any reference to MsiInstaller

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:6E8464A0-F943-475D-B675-AD96BBB73D3C@microsoft.com,
Sissy Sniffen <SissySniffen@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I was having a problem with the number "1" being inserted any time I
> tried to type within any program. I called a company called "Geeks on
> Time" and they did the Restore. The problem ended up being my P2 port
> for the keyboard seems to be bad. So, now I am stuck with figure out how
> to put my computer back together after the Restore I paid this company to
> do. Also, I listed the software that I installed in my original message.
> This problem just started last night when I posted my question.
>
> What does "windows installler" mean? What program does it run with? Can I
> remove something then reinstall it to fix this problem?
>
> Any further information would be helpful.
> --
> Thanks in Advance,
> Sissy Sniffen
>

> "terrorbyte" wrote:
>

>> Sissy Sniffen Wrote:
>>> I had to do a full Restore on my computer. I then proceeded to reload
>>> some
>>> of my software. Now, when I start or restart, a window appears saying
>>> that
>>> Windows Installer is opening. What exactly does that mean and why is
>>> it
>>> appearing. I installed Norton 2005, MS Office Student and Teacher
>>> Edition
>>> 2003 and ActiveSync for my Toshiba Pocket PC so far.
>>> --
>>> Thanks in Advance,
>>> Sissy Sniffen
>>
>> Why did you have to retore your system?
>> Does Windows Installer prevent your compuiter to crash?
>> What Software were you installing?
>> How long has your computer been like this, and did you notice any of
>> these problems befor you Restored? PM ME IF YOU NEED MORE HELP
>> terrorbyte
>>

>> --
>> terrorbyte

TRENDING THREADS