new Inspiron 6000 help

Last response: in Computer Brands
June 25, 2005 6:14:59 AM

Just got a new Insprion 6000
15.4 WSXGA
128 mb ATI RAdeon video card

Have nothing but trouble with it. I have it set to the max resolution, also set to 120 dpi and either the graphics are crystal clear while the text is very small or I get it set so the text is great and then the graphics are really blurry. I have tried a tweak I found in the Dell forums, have adjust the resolution down, the dpi down, the font's up, everying either up or down but cannot get it right. I have read other posts of the 6000 having this problem. Am I going to have to just return this? Techs just saw to got down to 96 dpi and 1240 x 480 and I won't do that......I paid extra for the WSXGA and the extra mb on video card and I don't want to have to adjust a thing.

--
Cyndi

More about : inspiron 6000

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 7:46:46 AM

On a laptop (& LCD's in general), it's best to stick with the native
resolution (In your case that would be WSXGA+ == 1680x1050). Now you
have the option of increasing the DPI (makes some things bigger at a
slight cost of quality) or live with the smaller better quality
graphics. I use 120DPI (125% normal size) on my D610 with SXGA+
(roughly the same resolution, just not widescreen); I have no big
complaints. You could try increasing the text size only in the
appearance tab, but personally I'd go with a DPI that I'm happy with or
I'd return it.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 7:57:48 AM

perfect timing with this answer. He has it set to 1680, dpi of 120, and is getting a new one next week. After talking to the techs, running all sorts of diagnostics, they are shipping out a new one.
Wierd, tho. He found that if he uses Netscape, the graphics are perfect. They are just blurry in IE. They are great on the desktop and in every other program other than IE. Of course, with no disks, we can't do IE repair, nor did the tech suggest that. any ideas?
--
Cyndi
"Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Gs4ve.1931$N22.952@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> On a laptop (& LCD's in general), it's best to stick with the native
> resolution (In your case that would be WSXGA+ == 1680x1050). Now you
> have the option of increasing the DPI (makes some things bigger at a
> slight cost of quality) or live with the smaller better quality
> graphics. I use 120DPI (125% normal size) on my D610 with SXGA+
> (roughly the same resolution, just not widescreen); I have no big
> complaints. You could try increasing the text size only in the
> appearance tab, but personally I'd go with a DPI that I'm happy with or
> I'd return it.
June 25, 2005 2:43:14 PM

How does he connect to the Internet? If it is dialup, I'll bet the dialer
installed some sort of compression routine to improve speed. The compromise
is ugly images but faster speed.

Tom
"Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
perfect timing with this answer. He has it set to 1680, dpi of 120, and is
getting a new one next week. After talking to the techs, running all sorts
of diagnostics, they are shipping out a new one.
Wierd, tho. He found that if he uses Netscape, the graphics are perfect.
They are just blurry in IE. They are great on the desktop and in every
other program other than IE. Of course, with no disks, we can't do IE
repair, nor did the tech suggest that. any ideas?
--
Cyndi
"Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On a laptop (& LCD's in general), it's best to stick with the native
> resolution (In your case that would be WSXGA+ == 1680x1050). Now you
> have the option of increasing the DPI (makes some things bigger at a
> slight cost of quality) or live with the smaller better quality
> graphics. I use 120DPI (125% normal size) on my D610 with SXGA+
> (roughly the same resolution, just not widescreen); I have no big
> complaints. You could try increasing the text size only in the
> appearance tab, but personally I'd go with a DPI that I'm happy with or
> I'd return it.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 6:22:34 PM

DSL

--
Cyndi
"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:6zave.161348$IO.33247@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> How does he connect to the Internet? If it is dialup, I'll bet the dialer
> installed some sort of compression routine to improve speed. The compromise
> is ugly images but faster speed.
>
> Tom
> "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> perfect timing with this answer. He has it set to 1680, dpi of 120, and is
> getting a new one next week. After talking to the techs, running all sorts
> of diagnostics, they are shipping out a new one.
> Wierd, tho. He found that if he uses Netscape, the graphics are perfect.
> They are just blurry in IE. They are great on the desktop and in every
> other program other than IE. Of course, with no disks, we can't do IE
> repair, nor did the tech suggest that. any ideas?
> --
> Cyndi
> "Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > On a laptop (& LCD's in general), it's best to stick with the native
> > resolution (In your case that would be WSXGA+ == 1680x1050). Now you
> > have the option of increasing the DPI (makes some things bigger at a
> > slight cost of quality) or live with the smaller better quality
> > graphics. I use 120DPI (125% normal size) on my D610 with SXGA+
> > (roughly the same resolution, just not widescreen); I have no big
> > complaints. You could try increasing the text size only in the
> > appearance tab, but personally I'd go with a DPI that I'm happy with or
> > I'd return it.

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 6:46:02 PM

Ah, OK. Then I'd go back to suspecting the tweaks, but there is one more
thing to try.

3) Turn on cleartype

SettinCgs->ontrol Panel->Display

Appearance tab
Effects button

Change Standard to Cleartype

Tom

"Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
DSL

--
Cyndi
> How does he connect to the Internet? If it is dialup, I'll bet the dialer
> installed some sort of compression routine to improve speed. The
> compromise
> is ugly images but faster speed.
>
> Tom
> "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> perfect timing with this answer. He has it set to 1680, dpi of 120, and
> is
> getting a new one next week. After talking to the techs, running all
> sorts
> of diagnostics, they are shipping out a new one.
> Wierd, tho. He found that if he uses Netscape, the graphics are perfect.
> They are just blurry in IE. They are great on the desktop and in every
> other program other than IE. Of course, with no disks, we can't do IE
> repair, nor did the tech suggest that. any ideas?
> --
> Cyndi
> "Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > On a laptop (& LCD's in general), it's best to stick with the native
> > resolution (In your case that would be WSXGA+ == 1680x1050). Now you
> > have the option of increasing the DPI (makes some things bigger at a
> > slight cost of quality) or live with the smaller better quality
> > graphics. I use 120DPI (125% normal size) on my D610 with SXGA+
> > (roughly the same resolution, just not widescreen); I have no big
> > complaints. You could try increasing the text size only in the
> > appearance tab, but personally I'd go with a DPI that I'm happy with or
> > I'd return it.

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 6:46:46 PM

Oh, or turn it off if it is on!

"Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
DSL

--
Cyndi
> How does he connect to the Internet? If it is dialup, I'll bet the dialer
> installed some sort of compression routine to improve speed. The
> compromise
> is ugly images but faster speed.
>
> Tom
> "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> perfect timing with this answer. He has it set to 1680, dpi of 120, and
> is
> getting a new one next week. After talking to the techs, running all
> sorts
> of diagnostics, they are shipping out a new one.
> Wierd, tho. He found that if he uses Netscape, the graphics are perfect.
> They are just blurry in IE. They are great on the desktop and in every
> other program other than IE. Of course, with no disks, we can't do IE
> repair, nor did the tech suggest that. any ideas?
> --
> Cyndi
> "Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > On a laptop (& LCD's in general), it's best to stick with the native
> > resolution (In your case that would be WSXGA+ == 1680x1050). Now you
> > have the option of increasing the DPI (makes some things bigger at a
> > slight cost of quality) or live with the smaller better quality
> > graphics. I use 120DPI (125% normal size) on my D610 with SXGA+
> > (roughly the same resolution, just not widescreen); I have no big
> > complaints. You could try increasing the text size only in the
> > appearance tab, but personally I'd go with a DPI that I'm happy with or
> > I'd return it.

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 6:50:04 PM

Did that one already too........no change. In fact, ClearType was already checked when he got it.

I played with it last night and found that if I reduce it to 96 dpi, change the resolution down from 1600 to 1200, then the graphics are great, but he says that the text looks "softened"..........so if the graphics are great under one setting but not another, could the DSL still do anything?
--
Cyndi

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 6:50:46 PM

Turn off ClearType?

--
Cyndi
"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:q7eve.186096$w15.98072@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> Oh, or turn it off if it is on!
>

> "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> DSL
>
> --
> Cyndi
> > How does he connect to the Internet? If it is dialup, I'll bet the dialer
> > installed some sort of compression routine to improve speed. The
> > compromise
> > is ugly images but faster speed.
> >
> > Tom
> > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > perfect timing with this answer. He has it set to 1680, dpi of 120, and
> > is
> > getting a new one next week. After talking to the techs, running all
> > sorts
> > of diagnostics, they are shipping out a new one.
> > Wierd, tho. He found that if he uses Netscape, the graphics are perfect.
> > They are just blurry in IE. They are great on the desktop and in every
> > other program other than IE. Of course, with no disks, we can't do IE
> > repair, nor did the tech suggest that. any ideas?
> > --
> > Cyndi
> > "Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > On a laptop (& LCD's in general), it's best to stick with the native
> > > resolution (In your case that would be WSXGA+ == 1680x1050). Now you
> > > have the option of increasing the DPI (makes some things bigger at a
> > > slight cost of quality) or live with the smaller better quality
> > > graphics. I use 120DPI (125% normal size) on my D610 with SXGA+
> > > (roughly the same resolution, just not widescreen); I have no big
> > > complaints. You could try increasing the text size only in the
> > > appearance tab, but personally I'd go with a DPI that I'm happy with or
> > > I'd return it.

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 6:59:43 AM

Cyndi wrote:
> perfect timing with this answer. He has it set to 1680, dpi of 120, and is getting a new one next week. After talking to the techs, running all sorts of diagnostics, they are shipping out a new one.
> Wierd, tho. He found that if he uses Netscape, the graphics are perfect. They are just blurry in IE. They are great on the desktop and in every other program other than IE. Of course, with no disks, we can't do IE repair, nor did the tech suggest that. any ideas?

Honestly, the only good reason to use IE is for Windows Update, besides
that I'd highly recommend using a Gecko based browser like Mozilla,
Mozilla Firefox, or Netscape (which is ironically based off Firefox
which i based off the original Netscape).
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 8:05:19 PM

Try it with CT on and with CT off ... also, when CT is on you can go
to this web page to tune it:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Ste...

Actually, CT does soften text characters because that is how it
smooths the "broken look" of characters that a fixed pixel display
produces. CT adds some extra partially filled pixels around the
orignal pixels to soften the pixel transitions. To some the softening
makes text look fuzzy (well, it *is* fuzzier!) while to others it
makes the text look more like printed text.

"Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
Turn off ClearType?
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 1:36:43 PM

In article <D63ve.1911$N22.78@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
Cyndi <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote:
>Just got a new Insprion 6000
>15.4 WSXGA
>128 mb ATI RAdeon video card
>
>Have nothing but trouble with it. I have it set to the max resolution,
>also set to 120 dpi and either the graphics are crystal clear while the
>text is very small or I get it set so the text is great and then the
>graphics are really blurry.

Try this:

http://www.nigelcoldwell.co.uk/userhr/

This describes a way to keep IE from rescaling graphics on high DPI
displays.

-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com
Anonymous

thanks, he found out about that a few days ago.....did that and it cleared up the graphics and then messed up the text. Today on the Dell forum he found a post that said that a lot of the 6000's were having this problem, and only with IE and along with the HR fix, there was another site to clear up the text that ws different than he had tried, so he will try that one later.
--
Cyndi
"MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@eris.io.com> wrote in message news:iPmdncKjBN1mk13fRVn-qg@io.com...
> In article <D63ve.1911$N22.78@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
> Cyndi <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote:
> >Just got a new Insprion 6000
> >15.4 WSXGA
> >128 mb ATI RAdeon video card
> >
> >Have nothing but trouble with it. I have it set to the max resolution,
> >also set to 120 dpi and either the graphics are crystal clear while the
> >text is very small or I get it set so the text is great and then the
> >graphics are really blurry.
>
> Try this:
>
> http://www.nigelcoldwell.co.uk/userhr/
>
> This describes a way to keep IE from rescaling graphics on high DPI
> displays.
>
> -Mike
> --
> http://www.mschaef.com
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 6:57:36 PM

In article <ztUve.241$j04.158@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
Cyndi <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote:
>thanks, he found out about that a few days ago.....did that and it
>cleared up the graphics and then messed up the text. Today on the Dell
>forum he found a post that said that a lot of the 6000's were having
>this problem, and only with IE and along with the HR fix, there was
>another site to clear up the text that ws different than he had tried,
>so he will try that one later.

Have you posted the site? My WUXGA i6000 comes in this week... :-)

Thanks,
Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com
Anonymous

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypePowerToy.m...
First, of course, it said to lower the dpi to 96, keep it at the native resolution, change the HR value from 1 to 0 in the registry, then download this tool and it should fix the text. We haven't tried it yet.
--
Cyndi
"MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@eris.io.com> wrote in message news:KOqdnXjMrvVTgl3fRVn-jA@io.com...
> In article <ztUve.241$j04.158@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
> Cyndi <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote:
> >thanks, he found out about that a few days ago.....did that and it
> >cleared up the graphics and then messed up the text. Today on the Dell
> >forum he found a post that said that a lot of the 6000's were having
> >this problem, and only with IE and along with the HR fix, there was
> >another site to clear up the text that ws different than he had tried,
> >so he will try that one later.
>
> Have you posted the site? My WUXGA i6000 comes in this week... :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
> --
> http://www.mschaef.com
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 9:35:02 PM

In article <9NWve.269$j04.159@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
Cyndi <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote:
>http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypePowerToy.m...
>First, of course, it said to lower the dpi to 96, keep it at the native
>resolution,

I'm suprised (a little) that the dpi setting mattered. I'm looking
forwards to experimenting with all of this myself. If I find out anything
useful, I'll post it.

-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com
Anonymous

good, you try it out first <g>......everything I read about trying to fix the graphics said to lower the dpi to 96, even if keeping it at the native resolution or lowering it too. In fact, on the Dell Forum today, someone posted a pic of what they were seeing with their 6000 screen and what they saw with their desktop.......exactly the same thing we are going thru.......
--
Cyndi

!