Need ethernet -> wireless bridge recommendations

I have an older computer with only an ethernet port (no USB and no
available slots) that I'd like to connect into an existing wireless
(802.11b would be fine) network. If I had a more modern machine of
course I could get a USB -> wireless adapter, or maybe even a PCI or
similar card, but that solution isn't possible for this machine.
While some manufacturers do make hardware that is just an ethernet ->
wireless bridge, some access points and routers are available that
are, for whatever reason, less expensive. I've read discussion that
some of those can be used in "client mode" as bridges, but in general
the specs don't say if a particular model can or can't. Does anyone
know which of the various access points or routers/modems with
wireless capability could be used as a bridge or adapter?

Sue Hanson
1 answer Last reply
More about need ethernet wireless bridge recommendations

    I used and configured (2) Dlink DWL-2100AP to work in bridge mode.

    sue_h_7777@yahoo.com (Sue Hanson) wrote:

    >I have an older computer with only an ethernet port (no USB and no
    >available slots) that I'd like to connect into an existing wireless
    >(802.11b would be fine) network. If I had a more modern machine of
    >course I could get a USB -> wireless adapter, or maybe even a PCI or
    >similar card, but that solution isn't possible for this machine.
    >While some manufacturers do make hardware that is just an ethernet ->
    >wireless bridge, some access points and routers are available that
    >are, for whatever reason, less expensive. I've read discussion that
    >some of those can be used in "client mode" as bridges, but in general
    >the specs don't say if a particular model can or can't. Does anyone
    >know which of the various access points or routers/modems with
    >wireless capability could be used as a bridge or adapter?
    >
    >Sue Hanson

Wireless Ethernet Card Wireless Networking